No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mRNA types are way easier to do this with than others; changes can be made easily and rapidly with shifts to production of new versions and boosters just as easily.
    Yeah, this is the genius of that technology -- or part of the genius.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      Biden, of course, has eliminated 1000s of union jobs with his silly ass green virtue signaling. And also shit on our beloved neighbors to the north. For people who care about union jobs -- or, hell, for people who care about jobs in general, this may rate as newsworthy. I mean, it's obviously not as important as various Oregon R party declarations. I mean -- THOSE GUYS HAVE SOME POWER!
      Bit of information I'll throw out. Below relates to breakeven prices from 2019. We can go back and forth on how important Keystone really is. I think it's important to the Canadians. I think it's a lot less so for us. Anyways, as this article points out, oil tar sands production is among the most expensive, least efficient means of oil production anywhere in the world. The breakeven price is around $83, nearly double the breakeven prices of US shale fracking ($46).

The process of superheating sand to extract oil is very expensive. That's the main reason the breakeven price is so high. And only going off of memory, but I believe the crude produced is low quality and needs significant refinement? I could be wrong about the second half...just trying to remember things read years ago

Comment

• Joe to the rescue! No, the other one.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/26/96062...ster-stalemate

"Late Monday, McConnell said he was ready to move forward after two Democrats signaled they would not vote to end the legislative filibuster, assuring him that it would stay in place. The position of the two moderate Democrats — Sens. Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema — also ensured that Majority Leader Chuck Schumer lacked the votes to end the filibuster, a key demand from his party's left."

Comment

• ..........One other thing worth noting is that both Moderna and Pfizer are delivering roughly 4.3M doses per week. In order to hit their contracted for goal of 100M doses by the end of Q1, they need to deliver almost 8M doses per week. So, again, the bottleneck is fucking supply. It ain't fucking distribution. FULL. FUCKING. STOP.

Also worth noting, Chairman Joe said he thought 1.5M per week was possible. That's up from his lofty goal 1M per week. Given that PDJT basically handed him 1.2M per week, I'm happy that we're at least moving expectations upward from, more or less -- failure (a mere 1M per week) to meh (1.5M per week). Now, of course, PDJT will never, ever get credit for the 1.2M per week, but such is life. Chairman Joe controls The Media.
          Pfizer and Moderna did not adequately account for resource limits that I listed in another post up-thread when they predicted they'd produce 8m doses by the end of Q1. So, it's both a supply chain problem wrt to resource availability to produce the vaccines and, as a result, a production problem. Small but important distinction. I'm not clear on if the actual mechanics of production are a limiting factor. I don't think they are. I think it's the parts required to assemble the vaccine that are in short supply. Also not sure if you can make those resources appear through governmental action. I'd like to be connected with a government logistician that knows about this. There are some. I'm not connected. The main point here is that if these "parts" can't be obtained in the numbers required, the US won't get as far as I'd like. If we can, then, yeah, bring it, CFB 2021!

On your other points on "Chairman Joe," I know some of this is sass directed at DSL (I'm enjoying it and DSL's responses) but, TBF, let's see what plays out with his administration. His EO's are more signaling than they are anything else. I'm opposed to cancelling the Pipeline. I want to think this isn't over. I want to think Biden will approach immigration reform sensibly. How good his "unity" schtick is will be measured for me by what happens here and on the next stimulus package.

Like I said in another post, I'm not entirely sure he's actually in charge of what's happening. There was never any doubt Trump was in charge. We may not have liked his character or his actions but there was no doubt he was in charge. Biden? We'll see - it's not easy to govern with "colleagues" that don't necessarily have your back, have agendas of their own and are in positions to undermine a president. Trump, for good or bad, fired those types. Biden doesn't strike me as strong like that..... for good or for bad. We'll see.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Bit of information I'll throw out. Below relates to breakeven prices from 2019. We can go back and forth on how important Keystone really is. I think it's important to the Canadians. I think it's a lot less so for us. Anyways, as this article points out, oil tar sands production is among the most expensive, least efficient means of oil production anywhere in the world. The breakeven price is around $83, nearly double the breakeven prices of US shale fracking ($46).

The process of superheating sand to extract oil is very expensive. That's the main reason the breakeven price is so high. And only going off of memory, but I believe the crude produced is low quality and needs significant refinement? I could be wrong about the second half...just trying to remember things read years ago

The market is what the market is. If the cost of extraction is too high then they'll lose money. However, folks seem to think that the pipeline is a good investment and did, as a result, hire lots of people to work on it at union wages. So, whether or not it ever produces any usable oil is almost irrelevant -- the risk is on private capital. The thing that Chairman Joe did is to eliminate 1000s of union jobs for green virtue signaling -- virtue signaling made even more ridiculous if, in fact, the pipeline is unlikely to actually transfer oil from the sand pits of hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

Pfizer and Moderna did not adequately account for resource limits that I listed in another post up-thread when they predicted they'd produce 8m doses by the end of Q1. So, it's both a supply chain problem wrt to resource availability to produce the vaccines and, as a result, a production problem. Small but important distinction. I'm not clear on if the actual mechanics of production are a limiting factor. I don't think they are. I think it's the parts required to assemble the vaccine that are in short supply. Also not sure if you can make those resources appear through governmental action. I'd like to be connected with a government logistician that knows about this. There are some. I'm not connected. The main point here is that if these "parts" can't be obtained in the numbers required, the US won't get as far as I'd like. If we can, then, yeah, bring it, CFB 2021!

On your other points on "Chairman Joe," I know some of this is sass directed at DSL (I'm enjoying it and DSL's responses) but, TBF, let's see what plays out with his administration. His EO's are more signaling than they are anything else. I'm opposed to cancelling the Pipeline. I want to think this isn't over. I want to think Biden will approach immigration reform sensibly. How good his "unity" schtick is will be measured for me by what happens here and on the next stimulus package.

Like I said in another post, I'm not entirely sure he's actually in charge of what's happening. There was never any doubt Trump was in charge. We may not have liked his character or his actions but there was no doubt he was in charge. Biden? We'll see - it's not easy to govern with "colleagues" that don't necessarily have your back, have agendas of their own and are in positions to undermine a president. Trump, for good or bad, fired those types. Biden doesn't strike me as strong like that..... for good or for bad. We'll see.
              (1) My point re supply issues wasn't to the whys, just the whats. The bottom line remains that supply is a huge fucking bottleneck at the moment. There may be gads of really good reasons/whys, but in terms of vaccinations, the whats matter.

(2) Biden is mostly virtue-signaling. I don't really care about his chicks with dicks stuff. If he wants dudes playing women's sports, then fuck if I care. I mean, it's laughable, but whatever. And I don't really care about his federal lands mask mandates other than to note he signed that EO and immediately didn't wear a mask on federal lands and had his press secretary justify his "for thee not more me" actions by saying it was an "important day" -- heh. I do care about his environmental stuff and immigration stuff.

On the environmental front -- which is almost purely climate change -- it's important to know the following. China is responsible for 28% of global CO2 emissions. The US is responsible for 15%. China is INCREASING emissions and said it will not start to reduce emissions until 2030. The US has been reducing emissions for years. The Climate Change goals (to avoid DISASTER!!!) are 50% global reduction from 2018 to 2030. With China not doing a damn thing, that means that the rest of the world needs to reduce emissions by over 70%. If the US completely eliminated all emissions (and China continued on their course), then the rest of world would still need to reduce emissions by over 60%.

That's the reality of climate change. There is a defiitive bad guy when it comes to emissions and it ain't the fucking US. And some pipeline from Canada to the US ain't going to do jackshit. In fact, the US completely eliminating its carbon emissions won't come close to the UN's goals to avoid DISASTER.

Comment

• China Joe doesn't want to make the ChiComs mad...it's a cash flow thang...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• 142902869_2773588372895014_6162690148018411928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=Sx86nDl-2PQAX97fjE_&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=3687a0d09b673d6bf4183f30cc07f682&oe=603626B5.jpg
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

The market is what the market is. If the cost of extraction is too high then they'll lose money. However, folks seem to think that the pipeline is a good investment and did, as a result, hire lots of people to work on it at union wages. So, whether or not it ever produces any usable oil is almost irrelevant -- the risk is on private capital. The thing that Chairman Joe did is to eliminate 1000s of union jobs for green virtue signaling -- virtue signaling made even more ridiculous if, in fact, the pipeline is unlikely to actually transfer oil from the sand pits of hell.
                    Part of the cost-benefit analysis is that we already have the refineries in place to deal with this "heavy" oil. They were built to handle similar oil coming from Venezuela circa 30 years ago. When talking only about the difficulty in refining the tar sands oil, private parties include the cost of basic capital like plants into the equation. I'm with Talent though; private actors are putting their own money at risk, and they own the excess refineries too. They will win or lose, but the Government shouldn't be shutting them down in order to virtue signal.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                      China Joe doesn't want to make the ChiComs mad...it's a cash flow thang...
                      10% goes to the Big Man.

Comment

• If you guys thought that the stagflation of 1980 was fun, then just wait until the consequences of the Green New Deal hit. The Jimmy Carter economy is going to look like a wet dream.

Comment

• Well, unless they pass it through reconciliation, it ain't happening. Yet.

Comment

Well, unless they pass it through reconciliation, it ain't happening. Yet.
                            It's happening anyways at a lot of state and local levels, as well as via executive orders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Joe to the rescue! No, the other one.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/26/96062...ster-stalemate

"Late Monday, McConnell said he was ready to move forward after two Democrats signaled they would not vote to end the legislative filibuster, assuring him that it would stay in place. The position of the two moderate Democrats — Sens. Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema — also ensured that Majority Leader Chuck Schumer lacked the votes to end the filibuster, a key demand from his party's left."
                              Betcha nobody is more relieved than Chuck is.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

10% goes to the Big Man.
                                EFZ
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X