No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While I wouldn't mind seeing Donald Trump, the person, disappear from politics, many of his legislative efforts and some of his EO's I fully support. There are others that had intent that aligns with my political views but were so badly implemented and/or sold to voters that the liberal press was shooting fish in the barrel to take them down.....Oh, the children, what about the (insert victim), oh the environment, climate change and those bad fossil fuels? ...... and more, and more and more.

Ron Desantis has clearly been a Trump supporter and to a lesser degree than some of the crazies, enabled PDJT. But based on how he handles them in FL, he handles the press way better than Trump ever did. He doesn't tweet personally but his office does and I've never seen anything stupid coming out of that office that compares with Trump's BS. Desantis also gets politics in the state of FL, meaning he pretty much ignores (won't take the bait) of his D critics.

Beyond just being smart about these things, he deserves a lot credit for managing both the social and economic costs of the pandemic well by limiting catastrophic and politically correct mitigation measures. As well in that department, unlike Cuomo and other Governors, he nailed the way to keep the disease burden on FL hospitals low and in the process, the state has a low death rate and numbers. He ordered schools to open and for teachers to go back to the classroom (there are allowances for hybrid learning based on county sero-prevalence but that gets watched like a hawk at the state level and as soon as it dips below around 8%, teachers are told to get back in the classroom full time.

All of that takes toughness to not cave to political pressure - and that has been and still is massive. I think he lacks Washington experience but he's beyond running for the House. Depending on what the R party does in FL, he could run against Senator Scott who assumed a senate seat after he was FL's governor and was pretty popular for advancing a bunch of conservative legislation - one being an overhaul of FL's unemployment insurance system. I could see an arrangement where Scott moves over or up to allow Desantis to run for Scott's conveniently vacated Senate seat. Same with Rubio as he fit's into the Ted Cruz mold re Trump but Rubio is better at finding the less contentious middle ground publicly.

FL politics could get interesting.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Screech has died.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Sir Thomas Moore has passed away as well. Ripe old age of 100. Many probably saw the stories about him this past summer. Raised millions for healthcare workers.

Comment

• Hal Holbrook has also passed. Age 95

He carved out a substantial career in television and film but achieved the widest acclaim with his one-man stage show, playing Twain for more than six decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
            Sir Thomas Moore has passed away as well. Ripe old age of 100. Many probably saw the stories about him this past summer. Raised millions for healthcare workers.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=75607219
            Sadly, his death was COVID related, a illness he did so much for in terms of prevention. At that age, you're so fragile that even the simplest of illnesses, and COVID is not simple, will end your life.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• In the last two days the stock market has regained most of it what it lost over the Reddit and GameStop stuff. I'm not an expert in the markets but I'm not uninformed about them either. This is a really difficult circumstance to understand how something like this can happen .....there was an article today on one of my news feeds remarking that what happened in the markets last week is a road map for future Russian cyberwarfare. I thought of the Chinese, NK or Iran immediately upon reading the article as more likely intruders. It's very disconcerting to realize how vulnerable we are in mostly open Western democracies to major disruptions as compared to those countries with regimes that are almost entirely closed and whose citizens don't worry about that at all.

I'm not at all a believer in the notion that markets are rigged. There are advantages to be gained by those who wish to discover and then leverage them. I don't have a problem with that unless they involve criminal activity. Again, not an expert in the law here but my sense is that there are laws and regulations meant to stop harmful activity and, for the most part, they work along with what otherwise orderly stock markets naturally dictate.

I've never been a margin trader. I don't own hedge funds and wouldn't consider them at this point in my investment life but the use of them by what have been called Millennial and Retail Investors both contributed to the GameStop thing. It seems that self regulation of the markets tamped down market extremes but some hedging investors took a bath. I suppose that's what the risk of investing there entails and I don't feel sorry for any of them.

Comment

• A group of parents, coaches and players have filed suit against the MDHHS regarding Michigan's ongoing ban against winter HS sports.

Whitmer banned winter sports thru the MDHHS until Feb 21, and even then only practices can be held. Seasons would not start until at least 2 weeks later. So, basically, winter sports will 'begin' at about the same time Spring sports are organizing.

Whitmer can't legally ban activities herself, but has acted thru the State Health Department's director, ordering him/(now a her) to ban HS sports, indoor dining, and anything else she considers to be a threat to "the health of the state".

The suit notes that Ohio, Indiana and Wisconsin have all resumed HS sports, while those states' Covid numbers have gone down. The suit also alleges that HS athletes are being denied the opportunity to gain scholarships and grants related to sports activities.

The new director of the MDHHS was not available for comment. The previous director submitted his resignation about 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• Navalny sentenced to 3.5 years in a prison colony for failing to check in with his parole officers while in a coma due to being poisoned.

Comment

• Time for Chairman Joe to get tough with Putin!
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      Time for Chairman Joe to get tough with Putin!
                      Yes. He will force Putin to make Hunter a permanent resident of Russia. That will teach him ...

Comment

• I gave plasma today. Took about 45 minutes. I can give again in two weeks.
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Pete Buttygig was confirmed as Transportation Secretary today.

Pete said his top priority will be to encourage the development of fusion powered automobiles and trucks. "If Sim City can perfect the use of fusion power, then so can we". Great start, Pete.

Comment

• Quick: Who was the Transportation Secretary two weeks ago?

Comment

• Ricky Bobby?
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Nobody told me there'd be a quiz ...

Comment

Working...
                                X