No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was on vacation in South Dakota last year. It's a great place, but I managed to step in a pile of bison shit. It wasn't much different than your post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post
      I was on vacation in South Dakota last year. It's a great place, but I managed to step in a pile of bison shit. It wasn't much different than your post.
      Glad you had a nice family reunion

Comment

• gee, that was weak.sauce..

Comment

• Wacko lurking near Kavanaugh's house arrested after deaths threats, had a weapon on him

Armed man arrested near Brett Kavanaugh's home after making threats against justice - CNNPolitics

Comment

• Who could have possible seen that coming? I mean, it's sooooooo out of the blue as to sound made up.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• That's what the leaker wanted.

Comment

• This LIV Golf situation is getting pretty interesting. Seems like every day brings more players defecting from the PGA. Two more big names today: Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/bryson-...irst-u-s-event

Here's the noteworthy players so far.

Mickelson, two-time major champion Dustin Johnson, former major champions Louis Oosthuizen, Sergio Garcia, Martin Kaymer and Charl Schwartzel, along with longtime European stars Lee Westwood and Ian Poulter.

Adding Reed, the 2018 Masters winner, and DeChambeau would only bolster the lineup.

Dustin Johnson outright resigned from the PGA Tour so he's probably gone for good. Not sure how the PGA will approach the rest. They've taken a hard line so far but you'd think there might need to be some reconciliation at some point. I'm kinda rooting for the Saudi League to flop and then watch the players who left come crawling back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post

It dawned on me reading through the various wikis on these folks just how much things seem very much the same as 40-50 years ago. If that pattern holds, and I think it will, we'll see a pendulum swing back to 'tough on crime" law and order policies.

During the Carter administration we had sky high inflation, sky high crime rates, leftist goons running wild and destroying things in the name of "racial justice", Russians invading neighboring countries, and major cities in crisis. That directly led to Ronald Reagan becoming president and Republicans running our two largest cities. Even Bill Clinton passed the 1994 Crime Bill that is so often cited as a reason for "mass incarceration". In other words, people get fed up with the bullshit.

Fast forward to Carter 2.0. We have sky high inflation, sky high crime rates, leftist goons running wild and destroying things in the name of "racial justice", Russians invading neighboring countries, and major cities in crisis. When the people of San Francisco jettison their recently elected DA because they are disgusted with the results of leftist policies, then look the fuck out.
                  That's a perceptive take on the matter.

In the 1970s, the failed policies of progressivism by Nixon and Carter had seldom been tried in US history. Price controls in particular proved to be unworkable. By the end of the decade, we had 10% inflation and 15% interest rates.

You are also right on Reagan. People today forget that Reagan had to work with a Dem Congress; in fact, the idea of the Rs having control of the HoR was not even on the table. Reagan would battle Speaker Tip O'Neil on legislation, but the two pols would meet "after work" for drinks. There were 40 or so "blue-dog Democrats" who were socially liberal but fiscally conservative, and they voted with Reagan on economic matters like the tax cut taking the top rate from 70% to 28%. None of that could happen today because of the partisan divide. Both parties have moved left since the 1980s, but the Dems have moved the most.

Think about how partisan it is to reverse the policies of the previous President because you hated that particular guy. The border is the best example of this. Hyperpartisans like DSL may disagree, but Remain in Mexico and building a wall were both working to restrain illegal immigration. Biden never articulated a reason for reversing the Trump policy. Same deal with Nordstream Two. These policies are different than items such as domestic production of oil and gas. On that, the Dems are forthright in saying that they want to price fossil fuels out of the market in order to promote "green energy" That is what Biden voters chose and was not done because it was "not Trump".

Comment

• Contradictory reports from both sides trying to shape the information space make it wickedly hard to understand what's going on in the battle space.

The majority of strategic pundits believe Putin thinks , and with some basis to that belief, that he's planning on and can win a war of attrtion. How long such a war is sustainable for Russia is in question.

What it means for the west is high energy costs, high costs for most goods and global economic decline along with delining standards of living. Russia, Putin believes, can bear the pain better than the west. It's going to be hard for western citizens to support billions in aid to Ukraine in the face of shockingly high prices at home.

The greatest war time leaders - Lincoln, Roosevelt and Churchill - kept citizens behind war efforts they oversaw with convincing rhetoric that a final outcome in their favor was achievable, valuable and worth the cost. I'm not at all sure about current western leadership's resolve in face of the challenges from Putin and his army.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

This LIV Golf situation is getting pretty interesting. Seems like every day brings more players defecting from the PGA. Two more big names today: Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/bryson-...irst-u-s-event

Here's the noteworthy players so far.

Mickelson, two-time major champion Dustin Johnson, former major champions Louis Oosthuizen, Sergio Garcia, Martin Kaymer and Charl Schwartzel, along with longtime European stars Lee Westwood and Ian Poulter.

Adding Reed, the 2018 Masters winner, and DeChambeau would only bolster the lineup.

Dustin Johnson outright resigned from the PGA Tour so he's probably gone for good. Not sure how the PGA will approach the rest. They've taken a hard line so far but you'd think there might need to be some reconciliation at some point. I'm kinda rooting for the Saudi League to flop and then watch the players who left come crawling back.
                      Well, IF the $ 125 million Johnson is supposedly being paid, and $ 100 million to Michelson, then I don't blame them for going with the Saudis. I wonder what in the world the Saudi Wealth Fund gets for the Kingdom by sponsoring a golf tour. But, if I were a pro golfer, I'd like the sound of a tour trying to break the PGA monopoly.

Comment

• I wonder if the big money being thrown at these players is an up-front lump sum or prorated over the course of a few years. I'm guessing there's got to be a lot of guarantees to get these big names to flip. I read today the actual LIV Tour doesn't even start until 2024. There's 8 events this year and 10 in 2023 before the actual tour kicks off. There's no TV deal yet in the U.S. so this is pretty much all being funded through the Saudi fund.

As far as the Saudi's motivation for this whole thing, maybe they view fancy golf tournaments as a way to enter polite society? Dunno.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Why were so many Congressional Republicans texting Mark Meadows and begging him to get Trump to send the mob home? Why did they think Trump could control the mob? Didn't anyone tell them ahead of time the cover story was going to be "Antifa did it"?

I bet you've got a whole bunch of stuff you printed off GateWay Pundit in a binder marked "Exculpatory Evidense". Send it to Leader McCarthy. Maybe he can read it aloud on Zoom or something.

oh i100% agree after the fact he should have stepped in and said get the hell out of capital but thats not the point

paperwork trail leads all the way to pelosi and bowser as the ones turning down the troops when it was authorized by trump 2 days prior
                          why did they do that --why didnt they call in troops since everybody knew there was a rally a few miles awy with thousands how could you be so stupid as to not want to beef up security
                          why were 2 IED's planted?
                          Who were the guys with the bullhorns?
                          why did a lot of capital police just step aside when the demonstraters showed up
                          But your not concerned with the facts --on with the Show
                          same show we've seen for 5 years and will for the next 7

Get trump

Comment

• Pro-abortion protester gets tackled by the Secret Service after wandering out into the middle of Biden's motorcade in LA

Comment

• Well, we didn't need to wait long for the PGA's response to the players who joined LIV Golf. Within a half hour of them teeing off in London all 17 players who were PGA members have been suspended and cannot play any PGA Tour events under any circumstance.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...olf-tournament

Side note: The PGA does not run any of the 4 majors so expect those guys to still play them. I guess that kinda makes it easier to defect when you can still play the 4 biggest events anyway.
                              Last edited by Mike; June 9, 2022, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Well, we didn't need to wait long for the PGA's response to the players who joined LIV Golf. Within a half hour of them teeing off in London all 17 players who were PGA members have been suspended and cannot play any PGA Tour events under any circumstance.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...olf-tournament

Side note: The PGA does not run any of the 4 majors so expect those guys to still play them. I guess that kinda makes it easier to defect when you can still play the 4 biggest events anyway.
                                Huh. Really? I presume Augusta National runs the Masters but who runs the other 3?

Comment

Working...
                                X