No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rporting on Chinese balloons is occupying the information space. There's plenty to report on in Ukraine.

I recently reported that the Russians had undertaken an offensive operation intended to break though Ukrainian positions, encircle Bakhmut and trap Ukrainian forces in a pincer type movement. The northern pincher needed to seize area around Vuhledar to the NW of Bakhmut. As I noted, that operation was a failure with heavy losses of tanks, infantry men and other equipment which was abandoned in a hasty retreat. Pro-Russian milbloggers were irate at another Russian army failure. The Russians have achieved some marginal success in advancing but not through and past Ukrainian defensive positions.

Pro-Ukrainian milbloggers believe Ukraine has invited a Russian offensive in any from or tactic to seize Bakhmut while inflicting maximum losses on the Russian army trying to advance, then withdrawing. The Vuhledar catastrophe suggests that is exactly what's happening. Military analysts are suggesting the Ukrainians, having delivered a costly blow to the Russians trying to take Bakhmut, will undertake their own offensive in southern Ukraine with the target being Melipitol. If that offensive succeeds, and there is good chance it will given how the Russian army has moved the majority of it's forces in Ukraine to the Donetsk and Luhansk front, a thrust toward Melipitol is only lightly defended by Russia.

Recapturing Melipitol has significant strategic benefits. It splits Russian forces into two parts, one in the Donbas and one in Crimea and it's approaches. It also severs critical supply lines for Russian operations in the Donbas, re-supplies coming from Crimea, that encompass the southern arc of Ukraine also known as a land bridge between Crimea and the Donbas. The NYT published an easy to read map giving viewers a big picture look at what both sides are trying to accomplish.

Ukraine offensive.jpg
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Ok...new advice...fall in a large hole and die a slow yet painful death...
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Sorry. No do-overs.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• You would be wise to do what THE_WIZARD_ says...
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• How much of a charitable donation to make it a one-way trip to Glasgow?
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Glasgow has undergone a bit of gentrification. It’s not the broken bottle shantytown it once was. It’s no Edinburgh, but it’s not horrible. Its US equivalent would be Pittsburgh or the like.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                How much of a charitable donation to make it a one-way trip to Glasgow?
                Seconded, Thirded, Fourthed and Fifthed...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Hurtful.

If you guys don’t want me around, let me know.

:(

Comment

• If you left, where would we get our Alabama basketball info?

Comment

• Google?

Comment

• Impossible. You have to care enough to affirmatively use Google.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I take it you want the sexy boudoir pic of me in my kilt?

Comment

• The shirt I’m bring my uncle for the Aberdeen ex-pat 4th of July celebration:
                            Attached Files

Comment

• In this post I incorrectly stated the Vuldehar - a Ukrainian city that the Russians have been attacking unsuccessfully and as part of a pincer operation to isolate and capture Bakhmut - was NW of Bakhmut. It is SW. https://www.detroitlionsforum.com/fo...29#post1831729

I point this out to highlight a Russian development involving the mercenary Wagner Group headed by Yevgeny Prigozhin. Prigozhin claimed today that Wagner Group had captured Krasna Hora NW of Bakhmut. It's a small settlement but it is a westward advance, this one north of Bakhmut, of Russian forces trying to encircle it. Why is this meaningful?

Prigozhin has been a vocal critic of the Russian MOD since the Ukrainian offensive over the summer and makes points in the public information space that his Wanger force is winning battles while the Russian Army is losing them. Much of this is just talk intended to elevate his presence in the war as well as in domestic Russian politics. His group is taking the same level of casualties as the Russian army is - horrifically high for both in the last two weeks

There has been recent reporting by analysts that a fault line is developing between supporters of Prigozhin and those of Putin. It could develop into a political threat to Putin. Both share the same views of Russian Empire, its right to expand and the justified seizure of Ukraine in doing that. Prigozhin is considerably more aggressively outspoken than Putin and speaks of the necessity of Russia to go all out, mobilize for war. Evaluating the national goals and how to achieve them of these two Russians would reveal Putin more risk adverse than Prigozhin with respect to sparking a direct engagement with NATO.

Prigozhin stated yesterday that given the current circumstances, achieving Russia's strategic goals will take up to 3 years. Analysts believe implied in that public statement is that Putin is trying to conquer Ukraine without a full commitment to do so. If Putin has to face some level of defeat in Ukraine in the coming months, there could be a power struggle in Moscow and Prigozhin would be one of the major players seeking to replace Putin. If he survived and became president of Russia there's no doubt he would not be as worried as Putin seems to be about the Russian military engaging NATO. That is the political risk of continuing to support Ukraine- a more militarily aggressive Russia with no reservations about attacking Poland, for example, and surely Moldova, sparking a wider Russia on NATO conflict.
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Doesn't matter which "side" you are on, this is funny.

329372576_1334519827329620_9101191197150851527_n.jpg
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X