Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pasadena Blue View Post
    Saban, Meyer are 1,2 in the list of top coaches.

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-...top-25-coaches
    And that's not the only thing Athlon has been wrong about over the past decade.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• There's only two coaches I'd categorize as elite: Nick Saban and Brady Hoke.
      Nick Saban is what you consider "elite" because of where he is, and the talent he has. He has an automatic top ten recruiting class every year, just because his name is on the door of the HC's office in Tuscaloosa. Now that he's gotten a MNC, recruits will be even more drawn to him.

I maintain that any coach who knows what he's doing, could have taken Bama to the MNC last season. I consider the team of Coach Hoke and Mattison to be in that group. Les Miles beat the so-called "National Champions" last year, on their own field. I think Urban Meyer could have coached Bama to the MNC. Take any coach from a Top Ten team, and put them at the helm of what Bama had last season, and they probably do the same thing.

Again, I just don't see what it is that Nick Saban does, that is so much different from other good coaches. He doesn't run an offense that can't be figured out. He doesn't run an impenetrable defense. (LSU proved that) His teams still make mistakes.

The only thing that set him apart this year was the talent on his team picked the right day on the calendar to put it all together to defeat a team that beat them earlier in the season.

Why does this make him so much better than everyone else?

Comment

• OK, this conversation has gone beyond rational now.

Sure liney, Saban is just another guy.
        Atlanta, GA

Comment

• The only thing that set him apart this year was the talent on his team picked the right day on the calendar to put it all together to defeat a team that beat them earlier in the season.

Why does this make him so much better than everyone else?
          He's been successful in college ball everywhere he goes (And he has gone a few places)
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Sure liney, Saban is just another guy.
            No. I'm just another guy. I readily admit, that I could not have coached Alabama to a MNC.

What I've been saying all along is, I don't see what it is about Saban that puts him on some huge pedestal, other than the fact that he can sign top talent. And, I'm not even convinced that he's a master recruiter. I think Alabama recruits itself. That's a big advantage. Right now, the SEC recruits itself. That's another advantage. Neither of those things has anything to do with Nick Saban.

Once again, I don't see anything about his offense, defense, special teams, or anything else, that sets him apart from every other football coach in the country. I believe there are other coaches who could have gotten the same results with the 2011 Alabama team.

Why is this such a big deal?

Comment

• I think Liney makes a salient point. ....../shrug

Comment

• Other than Gene Stallings, Alabama turned over coaches like crazy between the Bear and Saban. So I don't think one merely needs to show up at work and count on an automatic 10 wins.

The SEC recruits itself? If so that's largely due to Nick Saban. He won the SEC's first title of the decade at LSU. And has won two more at Bama. If you seriously think there are dozens of coaches who could've done the same, you're high as a kite

Comment

• "Once again, I don't see anything about his offense, defense, special teams, or anything else, that sets him apart from every other football coach in the country."

I think that's one of the things that sets Saban apart from other coaches. he doesn't need to resort to "gimmick" offenses while putting solid defenses on the field that don't need to resort to risky blitz packages. his teams play solid solid fundumental football.

Comment

• Well, I'll be high as a kite then.

Comment

• ........passes joint to Liney........

Comment

• don't bogart that joint... mah friend ...

Comment

• ....wish we had some ice cream....

Comment

• patience, grasshopper ....

Comment

• 'getting the munchies' again, you potheads?

:-)

Comment

• They got munchies smoking that oregano I sold them?
                                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

Working...
                                X