Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think your past two coaches played a lot in the gray area of the rules, in different ways.
    Tressel problem was dealing with the rare truly invaluable superstar player he managed to recruit. UFM brings in so much talent his teams aren't dependent on those players. I mean, if there was ever such a player, he tore his labrum in August and didn't play this season. UFM is far, far, far less inclined to put up with bullshit. I do think he'll be tested by Torrance Gibson. If he can break him down and actually get him to buy-in, that'll be something. However, I think if he doesn't, then Gibson won't be long for the team -- which is a contrast to JT, IMO.

In any event, I'm not exactly sure how UFM is in the "gray area" of the rules.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• So you asked a specific question about my opinion while simultaneously claiming to have zero interest in it.

On my end, I wanted to reply to Hanni's point about Meyer being around long enough without having very much lobbed at him much less stuff that stuck, which I think is a valid observation. I'm sure Meyer's fine with OSU being what it is and how that works out well for him, but there's a distinction between Tressell and Meyer.

Tressel problem was dealing with the rare truly invaluable superstar player he managed to recruit.

As you point out, this forum is an outlier. That can be peddled elsewhere, but I do admire the skill required to come up with that sentence.

Comment

• You've really had a thing for intentional idiocy lately. Too bad, really. It's one thing when you troll with your OSU rhetoric and such, but this bout of willful stupidity is atypical and disappointing.

Comment

• IMO rhetoric is supposed to be fun bullshit but in the past few years OSU has robbed me of that ability because it's actually real and well-documented behavior now that people make attempts to justify and continue. Also a part of the reporting that came out of the tatgate episode also reinforced the extent to which Michigan is clean, and when I was in AA I had some conversations that reinforced this and removed some of the cynicism on my part about the program I support.

However I believe in the value of keeping it light in such settings, so there's a tension here. OSU is making it hard but I'm trying to find new bits that are just bullshit and maybe then I can retire the older ones that no longer qualify thanks to facts on the ground.

Comment

• FWIW, my take on UFM is not that he "cheats". I'd guess that he Exploits every loophole possible. He is hyper competitive and will take every advantage that he can. If that means telling players to walk away because they aren't as good as he originally thought all the better.

UFM has one goal and one goal only. Winning. Developing students and men is not even a distant second. It's not even on the table.
            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Developing students and men is not even a distant second. It's not even on the table.
              I'm not sure, exactly, how you'd know that. But let's assume it's true. Let's also assume that based on the near unanimous testimony from former Tressel players that the opposite is true of Coach Tressel. Who would, SLF, rather have? Serious question, so I'm confining my inquiry to you b/c I think you'll answer it fairly.

Comment

• Rather have for what?

I'd prefer the college coach who views his job as equal parts winning football games and developing good men. That's the ideal of Bo I have in my mind (I'm sure it's rose colored and all that). Woody too for that matter. In that respect I'd rather have "Tressel" coaching my team than "Meyer". (There are a number of other considerations including the blatant cheating by Tressel and his boring ass football that come into play but given then narrow spectrum of your hypothetical I think my answer is correct)

And my opinion of UFM is based on a few factors 1) telling players to leave OSU if they aren't good football players. If he cared about developing men, he'd not try to run those guys off. 2) having a murderer as a cornerstone of his circle of trust 3) threatening a kids friend if he didn't go to OSU then having a coach promising that kid that he'd be coaching him until past midnight just to get the signature, despite knowing the coach was prepared to leave the next day.

Comment

• Oh yeah. And "I didn't come here to play school" and "you literally cannot fail at OSU"

Comment

• Comment

• DSL, quit drinking, go back to bed.

What are you up to these days Dave Brandon?
                      ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Oh well, SLF. I guess there's a wide array of opinions one can have if they're not tethered to actual facts and shit. My hopes were misplaced.

The Hernandez shit is still hilarious.

3) threatening a kids friend if he didn't go to OSU then having a coach promising that kid that he'd be coaching him until past midnight just to get the signature, despite knowing the coach was prepared to leave the next day.
                        The Alabi stuff is entirely not true. Idiotic OSU message board speculation.

Oh yeah. And "I didn't come here to play school" and "you literally cannot fail at OSU"
                        It seems to me that Cardale has changed considerably. But, hey, if we're all frozen as our 19-year old selves, so be it.

I wonder how many of Bo's fine young men were pushed through kinesiology. BITCH-SLAPPED! Lol.
                        Last edited by iam416; February 14, 2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• OP:

When you said UFM would assrape and pillage the B10, did you think it would be THIS fucking BAD? I mean, 38-3, undefeated in B10 conference play and a national title. Woof.

Comment

• My view is that this kind of discussion gets at the very core of why M fans have such a distaste for osu football.

Besides from a life long distaste in the blood of anyone over 50 in here who actually experienced M football under Bo, the modern era of osu football has been colored by one thing ...... winning is everything. The evidence that the osu administration, most notably the ADs, and how their HFB coach hires behaved, unequivocally supports that view.

Now, depending on where you sit on this subject, osu's approach may or may not be laudable. I think it is clear that the majority of the mindless osu nation has no inkling of what SLF is talking about here and would scoff at it as loser talk. I think talent understands the value of it but he sure as hell ain't gonna admit it here and frequently argues that the succession of winning is everything coaches at osu did care about their players and about building men. I would grant Woody was that way but he had too many other bad behaviors in his history that suggests that was subrogated to the win at all costs mentality.

tressel and ufm are, to me, classic examples of leaders that attempt to appear as caring about the game, integrity and all that warm and fuzzy shit but care most about themselves and what winning means to that legacy they want to create for themselves and for osu.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I wonder how many of Bo's fine young men were pushed through kinesiology.
                              I don't think Kinesiology existed during the Bo era.

My dentist played for Bo. Never got off the bench, but he's the most popular dentist in our community. We've also had several schoolteachers in our district who were former Bo players.

So, I think for the most part, guys who played for Bo have done very well.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• That entire post, JB, is why I have complete distaste for M fans and its program.

However, it's also why it makes it so much fun watching Ohio State dispense annual asswhippings to your boys.

Comment

Working...
                                X