Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
    As I understand it the Lions never “officially” retire numbers.
    But with that said I thought why not have a player earn the right to where a number worn by a previously great player.
    for instance # 7 and 22, worn by Dutch Clark and Bobby layne could be worn again by a player, possibly any position, or just QB, if they play well enough, all pro pro bowl level.
    I think the player would feel like it’s an honor to accomplish such a task.
    Do you think it would mean something to a player like Swift if he could wear 20? I do.
    Which is really how all teams should do it.

Although I do think the Lions have officially retired #20.

Comment

Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
      As I understand it the Lions never “officially” retire numbers.
      But with that said I thought why not have a player earn the right to where a number worn by a previously great player.
      for instance # 7 and 22, worn by Dutch Clark and Bobby layne could be worn again by a player, possibly any position, or just QB, if they play well enough, all pro pro bowl level.
      I think the player would feel like it’s an honor to accomplish such a task.
      Do you think it would mean something to a player like Swift if he could wear 20? I do.
      I'm not sure I follow you. Are you suggesting that a player would play many seasons with a particular jersey number, excel enough to become a pro-bowler, and then change their jersey number to that of one of the legacy greats? If so, that seems unlikely.
      #birdsarentreal

Comment

It would be players choice if they wanted to wear a great other players jersey
        Barry Sanders wanted to stay with 21 coming out of college but the Equipment guy said hey wear this number it’s been worn by other great players.
        Sanders being young and humble said okay but it’s not what he wanted.

Comment

As you can see also that todays players aren’t really attached to certain numbers other then like #1
          think of college players who go to Michigan they want 1 because of the history of it. Or maybe # 2.

Comment

Early on, sure. But if they've played a few years, long enough to become a pro bowler, I think it's a different story.
            #birdsarentreal

Comment

Not here to argue with you I just put out a post. My opinion, nothing more

Comment

Did something in my post seem like I was trying to argue? If so, I apologize. I, too, was just giving my opinion. Hence the use of the phrase "I think."
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
                  I personally think retiring numbers is stupid.
                  I am too in agreement that numbers shouldn't be retired. Their number should be in the ring of honor (or whatever). Just thinking about longevity in that at some point wouldn't you run out of numbers?

I don't think it should be a case of a player having to "earn" the right to wear a number either. I get it and it does make a lot of sense, but most players (especially really good ones) are very superstitious. Numbers are right at the top of their list of things they want to keep the same.

So if they are good with a number, they want to keep that number. Which is why Okudah got #1 as soon as he could get it and would not let it go to JaMo. And if he ever leaves the team, JaMo will jump all over it.

A lot of colleges do that. Especially with the #1 so some NFL guys may see it as being childish
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

6e9oVZc5kRborTeNM-X3ybjB1tIXsM3aGvlFos4qKaQ.jpg?auto=webp&s=d7cf7df1838d428a1b61bee021c9db7999e26596.jpg
                    "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                    Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

I am too in agreement that numbers shouldn't be retired. Their number should be in the ring of honor (or whatever). Just thinking about longevity in that at some point wouldn't you run out of numbers?

I don't think it should be a case of a player having to "earn" the right to wear a number either. I get it and it does make a lot of sense, but most players (especially really good ones) are very superstitious. Numbers are right at the top of their list of things they want to keep the same.

So if they are good with a number, they want to keep that number. Which is why Okudah got #1 as soon as he could get it and would not let it go to JaMo. And if he ever leaves the team, JaMo will jump all over it.

A lot of colleges do that. Especially with the #1 so some NFL guys may see it as being childish
                      You might be right. But I think JaMo just locked him self into #9, you don't ask a team great, a player the whole league just saw winning a SB, two years after the player left the team. He is already putting a lot of pressure on himself. But it's not going to be well received if he dumps the number in a year or so.
                      AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

Originally posted by Topweasel View Post

You might be right. But I think JaMo just locked him self into #9, you don't ask a team great, a player the whole league just saw winning a SB, two years after the player left the team. He is already putting a lot of pressure on himself. But it's not going to be well received if he dumps the number in a year or so.
                        good point
                        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

Lions trim roster by three

Posted by Myles Simmons on August 15, 2022, 8:51 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Lions have made a few roster cuts on Monday morning.

Detroit announced the team has waived tight end Nolan Givan and center Ryan McCollum and released veteran tight end Garrett Griffin.

Givan joined the club as an undrafted free agent in May. McCollum appeared in 13 games with one start for Detroit last year as an undrafted rookie.

Griffin signed with the Lions in March. He had played under head coach Dan Campbell with the Saints. In 20 career games with nine starts, he’s recorded five catches for 43 yards.

Teams must reduce their rosters to 85 players by Tuesday’s 4 p.m. ET deadline.

Comment

PFF grades: Lions defensive rookies make big impression in preseason debut

Detroit’s defense is still very much a work-in-progress, and the grades from Pro Football Focus back up what your eyes saw on Friday.

Comment

Tracy Walker takes jab at previous regime, explains why Detroit is now ‘home’

The veteran safety turned down more lucrative offers to continue building a winner with people he knows and trusts.

Comment

Detroit Lions preseason rookie review: Hutchinson shines in Lions debut

Examining how the Lions 2022 rookie class performed in Week 1 of the preseason.

Comment

Working...
                                X