Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    Generally the Caldwell recipe.was start slow and let Stafford do his comeback magic. But if he did have a decent lead, they would hold on for dear life in the 4th from the first quarter on if they had to.
    One of Caldwell's most irritating traits was the instant the Lions got a 10-point, Caldwell would try to play clock control the rest of the game until desperation forced him out of it. I swear if the Lions returned the opening kickoff for a TD, then scored on a pick-six on their first defensive play; damn if Caldwell wouldn't call run/run/pass/punt for the remaining 59 minutes of game time.

Comment

• Yeah we get it

Comment

Attached Files
        Last edited by Iron Lion; October 15, 2022, 03:32 PM.
        "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
        Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• It's not good enough. Them failing miserably with their replacement doesn't change the fact they weren't a real competitor with him.

Comment

• It was more about talent than coaching when they fired Caldwell.

Comment

• I think we need to give up on the idea that our team can pull off a worst-to-first like every other team in the league appears capable of doing. If we get stuck in 9-7/9-8/10-8 wildcard exit purgatory again, we have to just throw all resources at making that work. Tearing it all down is simply not working.

Comment

• I agree with that.

Comment

• Oh, the Lions could do something like worst-to-first. But it would require ownership getting lucky with the right GM, then getting out of his (or maybe even her) way and not do something stupid to undermine said GM, like... oh, I dunno... take a cold call from someone not on anyone's short list and decide after that one call that you have your new head coach before you've even made your front office decisions. Then maybe not double down on the stupid and give this largely untested coach you basically got from Publisher's Clearing House a six year contract.

But... ya know... what sort of team would do something that dumb?
                  Last edited by chemiclord; October 15, 2022, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• We seem to seriously overreact to coaching failure. Jim Schwartz was a hot head who lost his team. Let's go 180° and take "Cold"well. Went from a defensive-minded head coach whose Lions teams were high offense and no defense to an offense-minded head coach whose Lions teams did better on defense. And unlike Gym Shorts, Caldwell never lost his team.

FMP was a smart but unrelatable coach who understands how to manage a game but no clue how to manage men. In terms of finding the polar opposite, well done, bravo, fucking nailed it. But apparently that doesn't translate to winning.
                    Last edited by Iron Lion; October 16, 2022, 04:49 AM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Iron Lion;n1806646]

FMP was a smart but unrelatable coach/QUOTE]

Yeah, see, I'm not sure I'm ready to agree to that premise as 'settled fact'. I am a little suspicous that he might have been a hairy Bahookie pimple.
                      Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• [QUOTE=dpatnod;n1806649]
                        Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post

FMP was a smart but unrelatable coach/QUOTE]

Yeah, see, I'm not sure I'm ready to agree to that premise as 'settled fact'. I am a little suspicous that he might have been a hairy Bahookie pimple.
                        Alternative FMP: "Well yes, speaking from a purely a$$ zit prespective, I just cannot disagree....."

"I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Pretty soon the fan will get excited about the new loser coach. It is the Lions way.

All hail our lovable losers.
                          Last edited by gibby; October 16, 2022, 10:10 AM.
                          Detroit Lions: Where futility is a lifestyle choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
                            He didn't really make "wrong" decisions aside from, I guess, never blitzing. Don't get me wrong. He's probably the actual worst HC we've ever had. Potentially the Millen equivalent at HC. He was so bad that due to him I, like some NFL players, opted out of the 2020 season. It was the first time in a quarter century that I voluntarily passed on watching Lions football. He was a terrible coach. But he made the right gameday calls is all I'm saying.

Comment

• “Some bye week perspective on second-year coaches.

Nick Sirianni took over 4-win Eagles. Now: 5-0.
                              Robert Saleh took over 2-win Jets. Now: 4-2.
                              Arthur Smith took over 4-win Falcons. Now: 3-3.

Dan Campbell took over the 5-win Lions. Now: 1-4. It doesn't have to take forever.​”

Comment

• There's a lot of games left.

Comment

Working...
                                X