Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Campbell provides optimistic injury updates on several Lions players

​While Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell kicked off his post-bye week press conference with the depressing development that Levi Onwuzurike’s season is over following back surgery, it wasn’t all bad news on the injury front. While Campbell was guarded with his optimism, he did say that the team was looking fresher and healthier on Monday after the week off.
    “Injury-wise, we’re a little bit better,” Campbell said. “I don’t know how far along we’ll be until Wednesday, but I know everyone feels a little bit better. How much? We’ll see.”

Later, he provided much more optimistic-sounding information when it came to several Lions players, starting with defensive lineman John Cominsky, who led the team with 10 pressures in two games before suffering a wrist injury that required surgery. Cominsky hasn’t practiced since the injury, but Campbell certainly made it sound like the veteran defensive lineman could be back for this week’s game against the Dallas Cowboys.

“I know Cominsky, it looks pretty promising for him,” Campbell said.

The news was similarly good for Josh Paschal and Jerry Jacobs, two players who have started the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list. The Lions returned both to practice two weeks ago, and they seem close to a return.

“Paschal had another good week last week,” Campbell said. “I know we only had a couple of practices, but he’s put two weeks (in), back-to-back, has been pretty good. So we’ll see where he’s at.”

Paschal, who had sports hernia surgery this past spring, is looking to make his NFL debut after the Lions took him with their second-round pick in April.

Jacobs, who suffered a torn ACL last December, has been itching to get back. One of the bigger questions once he’s physically able to return is where he’ll fit in. While there was talk about fitting Jacobs into the nickel position, Campbell made it pretty clear he’ll start as part of the competition at outside cornerback.

“The first thing you’d be thinking is outside is where he’d be competing at,” Campbell said. “The good news about Jerry is, man, when he’s physically ready, you know you can take him into the game because he’s going to help on special teams immediately. Now, you’ve got him in the game. Now it’s, okay, you can sprinkle him in outside or maybe we do feel good at nickel. He brings value to the roster, at a minimum, just to have on gameday because he does so many things.”

Jacobs’ return is timely because the Lions are still figuring things out at the cornerback position. Last game against the Patriots, the Lions benched starter Amani Oruwariye, and his replacement—Will Harris—quickly suffered a groin injury and did not return. That said, Campbell made it clear that Oruwariye would still be in contention for the starting job.

“I told him he’s not out of the boat, so he’s going to get a chance to compete this week, and see where he can help us,” Campbell said.

The Lions coach also provided a somewhat optimistic update on defensive end Romeo Okwara, who suffered an Achilles injury in Week 4 of the 2021 season and remains on the Physically Unable to Perform list. Campbell confirmed that the plan is to still get Okwara on the field in 2022.

“Yeah, that’s the plan,” Campbell said. “He is progressing. He’s doing a good job. There again, the Achilles is just happening at a different rate, but he’s doing a good job. You guys know ‘Rome,’ he puts in the work, man. It’s coming. When he’s ready, he’ll be out there.”

Lastly, Campbell provided a brief update on two other players who have yet to see the field: Lions first-round pick Jameson Williams (torn ACL) and fullback Jason Cabinda (ankle):

“I don’t see any of those guys (returning this week),” Campbell said. “They’re all on track. I think Cabinda is coming in a hurry, but I don’t know if I necessarily see him (returning) this week.”

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by kreton View Post

Actually this season is only 5 games in.

Campbell has not been the coach for 65 years.

Holmes has not been the GM for 65 years.

Are we really blaming them for Millen and everything over the last 65 years?
      No no, its more the use of the “overreacting” part. Got me falling about poorless and thinking “Really?”
      Fans are still overreacting to a slow start?
      To use a Scottish soccer example, (lost on most) …… it’d be like Hibernian fans getting pi$$ed off at the slow starts!
      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Or being pissed about Dobrowski humping the gatorade cooler.
        Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Only high quality H2O @ Easter Road.

Animated GIF
          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
            Slow start?? It's been 65 fucking years! Jaysus feckin H
            Busy Body Stirring GIF by VidaChic
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Why not? You're excusing them of everything that's gone wrong.

I don't care how bare you think the cupboards were. After two offseasons, there is NO excuse to be THIS bad.
              Yea, there is. You can't build a team without money. Can't sign or draft 53 quality players in 2 years. Not possible.

Comment

• Quintricia spent alot of money on free agents how'd that work out? Most of the time it's a waste of money.....

Comment

Yea, there is. You can't build a team without money. Can't sign or draft 53 quality players in 2 years. Not possible.
                  The Lions were not limited by the salary cap last off-season. They had 36 million in cap space and that was 6th highest in the league. Those chose to bring everyone back and I think only the Josh Reynolds has been a success.

Comment

• It can be. It can also effectively fill gaps your team has. Spending wisely is important. I don't think anyone would argue Quinn did that. Paid Trey Flowers like he was a 20 sack guy. Made Coleman a ridiculously high Paid nickel corner. Gave a backup tackle in Vaitai 10m a year.

Comment

Actually this season is only 5 games in.

Campbell has not been the coach for 65 years.

Holmes has not been the GM for 65 years.

Are we really blaming them for Millen and everything over the last 65 years?
                      Nobody's blaming them, they are just caught in the whirlpool that we've seen every setup in our lifetime get caught in - going down the tidy bowl with the turd.
                      If you don't think this team is cursed, who in the hell drafts a RT in the top 10 - because Sewell is literally going to be playing RT till Decker leaves - and that won't be for another 2 years.....

Comment

• Every time i see someone arguing for the existence of a curse I lose just a little more faith in humanity.

Also, how did that constant pressure in our QB's face from terrible RT's work out? You need two pass blocking tackles in today's NFL. You may not like it but it's now a reality. The big slow, run blocking RT is dying.

Comment

• Sewell is on the verge of greatness. I think the difference is between RT and LT is negligible.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

The Lions were not limited by the salary cap last off-season. They had 36 million in cap space and that was 6th highest in the league. Those chose to bring everyone back and I think only the Josh Reynolds has been a success.
                            Well, they LOVE their guys. Young and proud.
                            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Howie Roseman (who some consider the best GM in the league, particularly from at talent acquisition standpoint), took Lane Johnson 4th overall and he has been a foundational piece for the Eagles as they've moved through a couple different iterations of success.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                                And Levi is done for the year according to Campbell, reported by Kyle Meineke.

https://twitter.com/kmeinke/status/1582084337708638208?s=20&t=lsnY7as5XiFDirncSxmrOQ

I think it's safe to call him a bust and another failed second round selection.
                                Next up: DeAndre Swift.
                                Apathetic No More.

Comment

Working...
                                X