Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good story WhoDean.

But I doubt if the 10th man would ever decide to not show up for drinks in our economy.

Comment

• Comment

• lol

Comment

• BTW, anyone who hasnt seen the Frontline on Putin yet, should. Believe part 2 comes out Monday/Tuesday.

Comment

• Geezer, coal production is down and the other reg I talked about would not have taken effect until '18. Do you want to think about what you're saying here?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
              BTW, anyone who hasnt seen the Frontline on Putin yet, should. Believe part 2 comes out Monday/Tuesday.
              Saw it.

Putin is no friend or should he be a trustworthy ally of the West.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• They'd dearly love to fire Mueller, but know how bad that would look. So they're doing what they can do short of that.

It's looking like it's going to be an utter shitshow of a week in Washington, and in this thread.

Comment

• Jeff - thanks for some of the advice, the school my son goes to has a consulting company come in and give a presentation. Basically you fill out a form on your finances and they determine what you can realistically afford and they negotiate with the schools. We'll see. We have talked to him about something service related. I don't know much about it. He is kind of set on MSU, CMU or UDM for Computer Science.

CGVT - It's interesting about your son's scholarship on the ACT score, was it greater than or equal to 32?

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    Jeff - thanks for some of the advice, the school my son goes to has a consulting company come in and give a presentation. Basically you fill out a form on your finances and they determine what you can realistically afford and they negotiate with the schools. We'll see. We have talked to him about something service related. I don't know much about it. He is kind of set on MSU, CMU or UDM for Computer Science.

CGVT - It's interesting about your son's scholarship on the ACT score, was it greater than or equal to 32?
                    32 is the magic number for instate tuition in Alabama. He had a 33. My daughter had a 34. She would have gotten and extra $1000 a year from Auburn had she attended.

I forgot to add that both are receiving Stafford loans of $2700 per semester. Half of hers are subsidized so there is no interest until graduation. His are not so they are accruing interest now. We are trying to keep up with that, but don't have the cash to pay them off right now. Realistically, it they come out of school with less than 20K debt, I don't feel that is the end of the world.

We also have 529 plans with modest amounts for all three, but we want to use as little as possible so we have more money for our 15 year old. We are going to have to dip into the oldest's when we pay for his summer term to get him caught up, though.
                    Last edited by CGVT; October 28, 2017, 11:37 AM.
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• 34 is really good

Comment

• Froot, you're so right about now versus when we were coming out of school. I had high test scores and should have had multiple options to choose from for assistance/scholarship, but our academic counselors were shit and my parents weren't familiar with the process either so I really didn't end up with much. Looking back it was a joke how little was known by our own HS advisors about what was available. My brother ended up as an academic counselor and he said that he probably could have gotten me a free ride.

But now, my friend's son graduated last year, 3rd in a class of 1000, something like a 4.4 GPA with multiple college level courses, very high test scores, among other academic activities like the match club,etc. Couldn't sniff a dollar in scholarship money due to the competition level and their income.
                        Last edited by Mainevent; October 28, 2017, 11:36 AM. Reason: update grammar

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                          They'd dearly love to fire Mueller, but know how bad that would look. So they're doing what they can do short of that.

It's looking like it's going to be an utter shitshow of a week in Washington, and in this thread.
                          Trumpworld is in meltdown. Throw as much bullshit on the wall and hope it sticks. Tarnish Moeller's name as much as possible so that when Trump fires him the Republicans in the House have some political cover when they merely shrug. Or that's their hope anyways.

Corey Lewandowski, unravelling on air, suggested people need to pay attention to the lies coming from the 'Clinton Administration'. It's in their interest to constantly treat this as if the only alternative to Trump is Hillary. Or that Trump is somehow the powerless victim.

Sarah Sanders (working overtime on a saturday) is pumping out garbage about how Hillary colluding with the Russians is now 'indisputable'. Gonna be a long weekend, Sarah

If Mueller starts making arrests as expected this week, the noise about uranium will become deafening on Fox.

Comment

• White Nationalists are marching in Shelbyville and Murfreesboro, Tennessee today, bellowing about closed borders and 'white nation'.

[ame]https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/924296540096749573[/ame]

Comment

• Trump's legal team scrambles as they try to guess who is being indicted. They seem to think it's not Manafort or Flynn (yet). The lawyers are also trying to maintain cooperation with the Mueller probe while the political side of Trump's WH is increasingly going to war against it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                                Froot, you're so right about now versus when we were coming out of school. I had high test scores and should have had multiple options to choose from for assistance/scholarship, but our academic counselors were shit and my parents weren't familiar with the process either so I really didn't end up with much. Looking back it was a joke how little was known by our own HS advisors about what was available. My brother ended up as an academic counselor and he said that he probably could have gotten me a free ride.

But now, my friend's son graduated last year, 3rd in a class of 1000, something like a 4.4 GPA with multiple college level courses, very high test scores, among other academic activities like the match club,etc. Couldn't sniff a dollar in scholarship money due to the competition level and their income.
                                Exactly on now versus then, my parents didn't know, my wife got a half ride on a score that was 1 point less than mine. We had no idea, but there was no internet then, much harder to find that info. But back then it was cheaper, so we were OK.

Comment

Working...
                                X