X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
    well we have a crime bill
    we have the "opportunity zones"
    we have a middle class that seems to be coming back thanks to jobs choice and stable cost of living
    we have a stabilization in how we view law enforcement although the recruitment of newbies has taken a hard hit
    jury is still out on trade although Canada and mexico treaties are encouraging need something with china ironed out
    all for nato paying their fair share
    have at least an exposure of the weaponization of intelligence to work against outsiders coming in
    so weather he is impeached or loses in 2020 there are some gains people have made living day to day which ultimately is what most elections are about
    are you better off today then 2 years ago--I think a lot of people are but is it worth the holding of your nose to pull the trump level again --we will see
    The most meaningful accomplishments are ones that are rhetorical in nature and more about raising awareness for the future. As I said above, Trump is by far the man most responsible for the moving of the Overton Window to the Right over the past four years. But that ultimately means nothing if it doesn't translate into both electoral and policy success. In our case, those are the same thing since our immigration policy is designed to change electoral outcomes in favor of the Democrats. A shit ton of people have been woken up about who the Left is and what they stand for, but it's not an electoral majority by a long shot. I don't know how you build that majority since people tend to bristle at harsh rhetoric, even when it is true. Trump's civic nationalism and appeal to blue collar workers built an impressive coalition but he's going to lose it if he doesn't deliver on at least one big promise. I love paying less in taxes, but it's not what I voted for.

We're running out of time. Fast.
    Last edited by Hannibal; December 20, 2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

He was right not to make that deal. He had a Republican-controlled Congress and, debatably at least, the ability to construct the wall as part of his powers as Commander-in-Chief. I try to put my impatience with Trump into perspective by remembering that our government is not a one man show, but he has made some bad unforced errors. I could handle not getting the wall if I thought that Trump had done a good job fighting for it and forcing some sort of up or down vote. He hasn't.
      If he was right to not make a deal, then don't complain about not getting a wall. If it is that important you have to give up chips to get it, there is no way around it. You're not getting to 60 votes unless you give up something. DACA for wall funding was the deal to be had. It was there, there is no other carrot for Democratic votes that I can see.

Comment

• Here is the Chambers dunk for anyone not familiar with it.

Comment

• There is more than one route to The Wall than some form of amnesty that The Wall is designed to prevent in the first place. Every compromise that Republicans make turns out to be a huge victory for Democrats (e.g. Simpson-Mazzoli). "Compromise" for Republicans means that the Democrats get what they want and Republicans get some sort of defanged meaningless, symbolic concession that will never amount to anything. I would have supported a full reinstatement of Obamacare in exchange for The Wall. It's debatable though that he doesn't already have the power to get it built, and if he doesn't, then I'm firmly in favor of letting the Democrats filibuster it so that it becomes a prominent Congressional issue. Just fucking once I'd like to see the Republicans do this. If you're not going to get what you want, then make sure that everyone knows who made it happen. At any rate, Trump didn't even try. He spent a bunch of political capital on tax cuts and squandered the rest on retarded Tweets.

The Republicans' inability to actually wield power is horrifying. Well, for us that is. For you guys, it's a fucking wet dream.
          Last edited by Hannibal; December 20, 2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• ...more Chambers dunks...less liberal bullshit...thanks in advance...
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Trump and the WH were saying just yesterday he'd sign the CR. Apparently he's spent most of the past week telling McConnell he's fine with signing it, getting the Wall later. Now says NOPE after listening to Fox berate him for the past 24 hours.

John Thune just told reporters that half the GOP's Senators already went home for Christmas.

36 hours till shutdown. lol

EDIT: It should be noted that some of the House Republicans who lost reelection aren't in town either. What incentive do they have to fly back to DC and deliver votes to Ryan/Trump for Wall funding?
              Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; December 20, 2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• He should have them get rid of the filibuster and vote for the wall.

Comment

• Its all nonsense, people make a big deal about shutdowns every time and it really isn't a big deal. The side shutting it down gets the blame but it is low stakes because people forget about it a month later. Maybe Trump has the unique skill exacerbates it and change that equation, but I doubt it. If you want something like the wall you have to persuade and horse trade. There is no other way, tantrums and tweets don't get you any closer to the finish line.

Comment

• Total flustercuck.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum
                      What a cluster fuck. His leadership vacillates delending on what a Fox News commentator says.
                      We can believe him or not, but Rush Limbaugh claims that Trump personally called him today and said he'd changed his mind and now refused to sign anything without Wall funding. Rush was one of the ones ripping Trump for caving.

Comment

• Reaction from some Republican Senators is priceless. Corker apparently thinks this is all funny as hell and burst out laughing. Said he's heading home and don't bother calling. Susan Collins nearly threw her purse down when she learned from reporters that Trump had had a change of heart.

Comment

• Comment

• Corker is a cocksucker, I am glad he will be gone.

Comment

• Good. For. Trump. Fuck all who are bashing him, he doesn't give a fuck what you think anyways. Fund the wall!

Comment

• Trump has done this instant flip-flop routine a few times now. Each time the people that voted for him lose faith in both his abilities and his resolve. I'll give a guy one of those but when you repeatedly need your base to scream in your ear to get you back on track, then something's wrong. In between that, no Wall, and the way that he appoints and then tosses aside cabinet members like dirty laundry, it looks like the Hail Mary is going to fall short. Discussion on the pro-Trump right should focus on the long term and how to keep the country alive long enough for Generation Z to grow up. It's obvious now that there is no prominent, currently serving politician that is going to do what needs to be done. Civic nationalism is dying. If you guys think that's bad then wait until you see what takes its place.
                                Last edited by Hannibal; December 20, 2018, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X