No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Republicans dubbed the "Axis of Adults" (Mattis, Tillerson, Flynn, Kelly) will all be gone in a few days. Who is now minding the Toddler In Chief?

kjklljkljkljl.JPG
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
      What Republicans dubbed the "Axis of Adults" (Mattis, Tillerson, Flynn, Kelly) will all be gone in a few days. Who is now minding the Toddler In Chief?

kjklljkljkljl.JPG
      Last edited by Kapture1; December 27, 2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• unnecessarily disrespects ANOTHER nation, ANOTHER one that American blood was shed for. Didn't bother to tell the nation he was coming and didn't bother to meet any of the gov't. Signed some Maggot hats, lied about pay raises, and left the staged photo op.

If we follow 's shining example, there is no need for any border security. He has now established that its okay if you are a foreign national, just come into the country unannounced and uninvited, do whatever you want, and leave when you please.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• ipg7npgs9t621.jpg?width=757&auto=webp&s=3f69af76ab47fa74748b26c4a13c1b550e203a48.jpg

Comment

• already back at the White House, tool.

Comment

• 48424959_10157182575000757_23033076384792576_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=60e445374d4a34159f8b12f32b726d2d&oe=5CA0AC37.jpg
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Fucking petulant child...
                  The Plum Line Opinion Trump's turbulent holiday week

President Trump's holiday plans were derailed by a government shutdown, a death at the border and unsettled stock markets. (Joyce Koh, Elyse Samuels/The Washington Post)

By Paul Waldmanjust beginningpassedhe told troopsalreadysubstantive politically by the shutdown, since Trump is the one who will be blamed.

proclaimother problems
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• believes that its okay to shut the gov't down if depriving people of their livelihood is based on his political opponents. His assertion that affected federal employees are mostly democrats is an incredible display of both idiocy and callousness. I wonder how his supporters currently laid off under the Trump shutdown like being called 'democrats' by their very stable genius?

tweet.JPG
                    Last edited by Ghengis Jon; December 27, 2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• For Wings

8490f3-20101203-obama-afghanistan.jpg

P4N4EQXXYFBNHJDH7NPUXIDCJY.jpg

Comment

• you know 0bama visited the same military base on Hawaii during Christmas every year of his presidency at Christmas time? while he was on vacation there.

Bare Minimum Barry

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                          you know 0bama visited the same military base on Hawaii during Christmas every year of his presidency at Christmas time? while he was on vacation there.

Bare Minimum Barry
                          That's great

As for the pictures I posted, the first one is from Afghanistan. The second one was in Baghdad.

Comment

• You feeling a little down DSL ? You close minded left guys should have a misery party.

Bad day for for the haters and losers, searching for something negative. CNN said he should have stayed home!

The media is pissed off that troops wanted Trump to sign their MAGA hats because it destroys their narrative the troops are angry at him for pulling out of Syria.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                              So, you're saying that the billions of employed Chinese have shifted income distribution favorably and that occurrence in China - and hence the favorable affect on Rosling's factual income distribution curve - is a result of the kinds of capital controls one might find in centrally controlled economies like communist China? I think that's what you are saying, maybe not. If so, I can see how it could be and therefore your point is valid but I'd need to see some data to support your view of the rose of China on Rosling's view of improving global income distribution.

.... and of course there were other factors besides unions that wreaked havoc in the US auto industry in the late part of the 20th century and very early stages of the 21st. The point is that unions asked for wages and benefits for autoworkers that were unsustainable - you can argue that the unions were then as greedy as folks are accusing corporate management to be now. There is middle ground between labor and management and here in the US we are really shitty in finding that spot - why is another discussion.

The points I wished to make in my post were (1) Wage inequality, a clarion call of the left, is less of a problem in a global economy - push back or not against globalization (you called it the boarderless economy) - than I believe it is made out to be by anti-globalists. Then I went on to offer this as a potentially realistic way to lessen the impact of low wages, i.e., moving population groups out of Rosling's levels 2 and 3 to levels 3 and 4. ........(2) The larger issue, it seems to me, is obtaining regional living wages - those living wages being widely variable (one size does not fit all). The way to address the need for living wages - those wages determined by the economic circumstances of a specific region/nation or economy within it - is sectoral bargaining as opposed to enterprise unionization.
                              The capital controls I'm talking about are something that are gone and should perhaps come back. A core part of the neoliberal approach is the lack of capital controls. Capital must be allowed to flow untaxed across borders in order to pursue the economic principle of comparative advantage. The relative lack of capital controls in the past 50 years gave US corporations the certainty needed to offshore jobs to China, knowing the profits they made there wouldn't be stuck there. So it's not that unions killed the competitiveness of American corporations. It's that the corporations and the unions negotiated long-term deals in a certain and stable economic landscape, and then that landscape was changed. As for whether union leaders were "greedy", well, it should be recalled that the economic theory of the day considers greed a good thing. Homo economicus is supposed to be a rational being that maximizes benefits for himself, and what makes for a healthy and just economy is a mass of people doing just that. Gordon Gekko, etc.

I don't fully follow along with your wage inequality point. Wage inequality IS a problem. It exists, and Piketty measured it and proved it statistically. I understand the point you are making about two humps going to one. There's been quite a bit of success in lifting people out of extreme poverty. A good chunk of that has been the transfer of manufacturing jobs from the developed west to China. Yet this has happened at the same time as a very difficult-to-measure amount of global wealth has been shifted to offshore tax havens. These numbers rarely tell a specific and simple story.
                              Last edited by hack; December 27, 2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for responding to my points. Got it on "Capital Controls" in the context you mentioned it.

You said:

Yet this has happened at the same time as a very difficult-to-measure amount of global wealth has been shifted to offshore tax havens. These numbers rarely tell a specific and simple story.

....... I think you are saying that this "difficult to measure global wealth" if it were measurable, would tend to return Rosling's symmetric bell curve to an asymmetric two hump curve. Right?

I can see your point but it is a difficult point to argue without data to argue from. You are asking me to rely on something that is difficult to measure as proof that there is wage inequality. My point stands. Wage inequality, a clarion call of the left, is less of a problem in a global economy ...... than I believe it is made out to be by anti-globalists.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X