No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess that you guys won't have to read any more of my posts for a while expressing wonderment about how irrationally high the markets are.

Comment

• Fapping material for Talent:

WHITLOCK: I HAVE NOT CHANGED; THE WIRE FORESHADOWED FALL OF TRUTH, OUR FREEDOMS AND COUNTRY

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
        Crash ...... the ACSH article isn't great. The analysis suffers some inaccuracies. Still, what you can garner from multiple sources on the CFR for COVID is that whatever agency is reporting it, it isn't particularly accurate. There are multiple reasons for that all of them discussed several weeks ago here. Of particular note is the politicization of it depending on the agenda of the entity reporting CFR. One of the fundamental reasons is that the CDC, traditionally the national repository of US disease, epidemic/pandemic data, didn't establish a standard for COVID data collection, processing and reporting. We may never know what it actually is.

The point you make on your second post is a good one ....... because of COVID, well, the fear factor inappropriately produced by it, the folks aren't going to the Doc for routine care like they should. Disease burden for non-COVID stuff is on the rise. Just another shitty impact of this thing and the overall reaction to it.
        Let me put it another way

John hopkins/CNN/all the media for that matter says were up to 170.000 deaths from covid--damn near 30,000 a month--about 6-7000 a week. yet CDC says our death rate is same as it was in January and February--58-60K a week. Seems to me People are still dying of the same old diseases the cancers, the the heart disease the pneumonias etc. But covid if you add 6-7K a week should have increased are overall mortality per week but it didn't. we have the same number of deaths per week we always have. now on the death certificate we put covid even if its only suspected. wonder why that is

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post

Let me put it another way

John hopkins/CNN/all the media for that matter says were up to 170.000 deaths from covid--damn near 30,000 a month--about 6-7000 a week. yet CDC says our death rate is same as it was in January and February--58-60K a week. Seems to me People are still dying of the same old diseases the cancers, the the heart disease the pneumonias etc. But covid if you add 6-7K a week should have increased are overall mortality per week but it didn't. we have the same number of deaths per week we always have. now on the death certificate we put covid even if its only suspected. wonder why that is
          I've posted the CDC's excess death estimates a couple times. Every week since the last week of March has seen an abnormally large number of deaths in America. If the same number of people are dying in June & July as January & February (pre-covid) then that's actually revealing a problem. Typically overall deaths decline in the summer and rise in the winter.

Figures present excess deaths associated with COVID-19 at the national and state levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post

It's really not that dire.

Whitmer's credibility is is becoming a bigger joke with each passing "Press Conference". She's constantly doubling down on her "Science" and will be toast if something bad doesn't happen. That's kind of pathetic if you really look at- but it is what it is. If the Republicans find someone competent, she's done by 2022.

Stabenow and Peters are both pretty useless and it wouldn't surprise me if John James pulled the upset in November,
            I agree John James has a puncher's chance, but he needs Trump to improve his numbers at least a little bit to edge out Peters. Peters has taken Stupidnow's approach and basically hidden behind her during his term and done absolutely nothing to distinguish himself from the other democrats. He toddles along behind Chuck and Debbie, and does everything they tell him to. Unfortunately Stupidnow has a lifetime appointment like Chuck has, and she'll be there until she decides she's had enough. I wish Mike Rogers would have run against her when he had the chance. I think he would have beaten her. But, he decided that retirement was better than politics. He's probably right.

Whitmer could be a one-termer if she continues on the same path she's on now. She needs to get off her high horse dictatorship, and bring Michigan back to democracy. Even people in her own party have advised her that the people in this state are becoming frustrated with her constant extensions of the state of emergency. I hope the MSC brings her back to reality, but I'm not confident.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Shutting down huge parts of the medical system to brace solely for Covid-19 no doubt affected the number of excess deaths, as did locking people in their homes for weeks at a time to increase their risks of drug addiction, depression, and/or developing some other serious health problem and nobody being able to help them. I'm guessing that simply being at home vs. at work has a statistically significant difference on whether you survive something like a heart attack or a stroke. I was shocked when I saw that unemployment in the medical sector of the economy actually went up in March. That's astounding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

I've posted the CDC's excess death estimates a couple times. Every week since the last week of March has seen an abnormally large number of deaths in America. If the same number of people are dying in June & July as January & February (pre-covid) then that's actually revealing a problem. Typically overall deaths decline in the summer and rise in the winter.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm
                Yep and the statement that people are dying with covid not of covid is flawed too.

If you are obese and have high blood pressure and get hit by a truck and killed, you did not die from being an obese person with high blood pressure

If you are obese and have high blood pressure and get covid and die, you died from covid, not being obese and having high BP. Maybe being a fat bastard kept you from getting out of the way of the truck, but the truck killed you none-the-less.

Covid is the truck.
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• If 94% of the people getting hit by trucks are obese and have high blood pressure, it should at least raise your eyebrows as a pattern or cause you to reconsider whether you should run screaming for cover in panic every time that you see a truck.

Comment

• The excess deaths are the excess deaths. I don’t know how you argue against.

However, if you aren’t obese and aren’t stupid enough to be playing on the interstate then the chance of getting hit by a truck are irrelevantly low. That’s Covid. If you’re at risk, be very smart and careful. If you’re not at risk then get on with things. Be courteous. Take low cost measures, but get on with it.

The covid apocalypse crowd wants us to believe we’re all at the same risk or that we should shut everything down so that 75-year olds can safely grocery shop.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Q. What's the difference between a hippo and a Zippo?

A. A hippo is really heavy, and a Zippo is a little lighter.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Q. Why can't you run through a campground?

A. You can only ran, because it's past tents.
                        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I'm only friends with 25 letters of the alphabet. I don't know Y.

Comment

• A man sued an airline company after it lost his luggage. Sadly, he lost his case.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                              The excess deaths are the excess deaths. I don’t know how you argue against.

However, if you aren’t obese and aren’t stupid enough to be playing on the interstate then the chance of getting hit by a truck are irrelevantly low. That’s Covid. If you’re at risk, be very smart and careful. If you’re not at risk then get on with things. Be courteous. Take low cost measures, but get on with it.
                              I think this is pretty much on target. If people aren't stupid and take measures to mitigate the risk, then it appears that the numbers drop and some semblance of normalcy returns.
                              Numbers in Alabama have dropped across the board since the Governor instituted a mask mandate. I would say that the mask to unmaked ratio is about 4:1 now. Prior to the mandate it was the opposite. I don't know for a fact, but I think it has made a difference.

BTW, my son's high school had 9 new covid cases today. That makes about 40 cases since school started in the middle of August. IMO that is manageable.
                              Last edited by CGVT; September 8, 2020, 07:31 PM.
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Tomorrow morning you'll hear headlines declaring that COVID vaccines have failed. That headline will be patently misleading in any form it takes.

The AZ-Oxford vaccine trial was voluntarily put on hold by AZ. This kind of hold is completely routine and occurs when any person in the trial has a defined set of symptoms that could be considered an adverse reaction to the vaccine. That occured in the UK test group. It could be by chance and unrelated to the vaccine, it could be because of the vaccine..... the former more likely as trials have been ongoing now world-wide, including in the US for a month with no problems. Holds usually take the form of temporarily halting recruitment, dosing or both. Researchers will look at the circumstance, come up with a finding and more than likely press on.

The vaccine known as AZD1222 — uses an adenovirus (a common cold virus) that carries a gene for one of the proteins in SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. The adenovirus is designed to induce the immune system to generate a protective response against SARS-2. The platform has not been used in an approved vaccine, but has been tested in experimental vaccines against other viruses, including the Ebola virus. It is entirely different from the Moderna and Pfiezer mRNA vaccines. It is also touted to be the most effective of all the three leading candidates likely to get FDA EAU among the three leading candidates

Be aware when tomorrow's headlines, designed to scare the shit out of you and turn even the best of us into anti-vaxers, give those who are already anti-vaxers fuel for their ridiculous anti-vaccine fire and MOST IMPORTANTLY, this "failure" will foil any vaccine fast tracking designed by the WH to get Trump reelected.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/08/...b2da6e075b25bf
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X