Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Pippen was really good but yeah he has lost his mind in the last week. It was bad enough what he said about KD versus LeBron. Of course that invited KD to pick at those scabs. My daughter keeps on yammering on about the Last Dance, I tell to stop watching that shit. It's this weird Jordan idolatry that is still happening 30 years later.

Comment

• Anyone following the NYC Mayoral Battle Royale knows that they have something called "ranked" choice voting. So, even though someone wins as the "first choice" candidate, that doesn't mean they'll win. And it looks like the 3rd choice candidate is going to surpass the 1st choice candidate on ranked voting. We won't know until well into July because they still have to count absentees which, heh, can be counted if they arrive before, heh, July 6. The end result is that an AA man seems like he may lose to the dreaded "Karen" candidate because she beat him on 2nd/3rd choice votes.

One NYC councilperson was nonplussed, demanding an immediate review of "ranked voting" -- likening it to another D-created voting apparatus -- the poll tax. Of course, that was a different D-paty then. But, I do enjoy allegations of Jim Crow lobbed at the most east coast coastal elite of coastal elite cities (San Francisco may be the ultimate champion of the coastal elite).

The NRO correctly notes and champions -- FEDERALISM. This is the genius thereof. States and localities get to try out various bits of nonsense in various areas and figure out which shit actually works. https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...is-a-blessing/

Ranked voting? Yeah, I'm not in on that. I don't think it's some sort of JIM CROW!!!!!! Part 2 nonsense. And I get the parlimentarian aspects of it and why you'd want to do it. But, meh. Most votes win. Or, alternatively, you go to Georgia's 50% rule -- which, I assume, because it's Georgia, is JIM CROW!!!!!, too.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I think it works fine in general elections when there's maybe 3 options but in primaries where there could be 10 candidates it turns into a clusterfuck.

But that said, New York City and New York State have the most godawful fucked up election boards in the country. They can't even handle counting ballots in a normal race, forget about the ranked choice kind.

Comment

• So they accidentally ran 135,000 test ballots through the machines. Now they have to find them, remove them from the system, and count the votes again. But it’s Georgia that’s fucked up….

Comment

• I think it works fine in general elections when there's maybe 3 options but in primaries where there could be 10 candidates it turns into a clusterfuck.
              Well, heh, it's almost pointless if there's only 3 options. The real value is where there is a huge number of candidates. And that, of course, leads to a clusterfuck. Again, if you're concerned about a plurarlity winner being hated by the a significant, heh, plurarlity (i.e., the DJT Effect), then do a run-off. Take your top 3 or whatever and do a winner-takes-all. Or top 2.

But, regardless, it's up to NYC to run their own elections as they see fit limited only by the parameters of the Constitution. And, then the rest of the country can learn from and/or adopt and/or completely reject that approach.

Thankfully, we don't have Federally-governed and -regulated local elections. Yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                So they accidentally ran 135,000 test ballots through the machines. Now they have to find them, remove them from the system, and count the votes again. But it’s Georgia that’s fucked up….
                If understand it correctly, and I think that I do, this shit is running like a Swiss fucking watch.
                Last edited by iam416; June 30, 2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• LOL!

Comment

• Get out of the cities

BTW: none of what you see in the video is actually happening. It's all just Right Wing hysteria.
                    Last edited by Hannibal; June 30, 2021, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Well, heh, it's almost pointless if there's only 3 options. The real value is where there is a huge number of candidates. And that, of course, leads to a clusterfuck. Again, if you're concerned about a plurarlity winner being hated by the a significant, heh, plurarlity (i.e., the DJT Effect), then do a run-off. Take your top 3 or whatever and do a winner-takes-all. Or top 2.

But, regardless, it's up to NYC to run their own elections as they see fit limited only by the parameters of the Constitution. And, then the rest of the country can learn from and/or adopt and/or completely reject that approach.

Thankfully, we don't have Federally-governed and -regulated local elections. Yet.
                      I thought the point of it was to aid 3rd parties. It theoretically lets people vote with their heart more instead of making a "what's the lesser evil?" calculation.

Comment

• I don't understand why an election would ask you to choose a 2nd or 3rd candidate. Isn't the whole idea to select the first choice?
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                          I don't understand why an election would ask you to choose a 2nd or 3rd candidate. Isn't the whole idea to select the first choice?
                          Like I said, in theory it allows you to choose the person you really want instead of voting defensively. The thinking goes that a lot of people aren't really making their "first choice" in regular elections. They're choosing the "least bad" option out of fear they'd be wasting their vote picking a 3rd party candidate.

Comment

• Ultimately, it should be a two-person race. In 2020, the Dems got the Green party removed from the ballot so that they would get those votes. The Rs, in their stupidity, let the Libertarian party stay on the ballot. I've seen 'studies" supporting the conclusion that had the Libertarian party not taken votes from the Rs, Trump would have won. No way to know.

The idea of single-member districts in the US has generally served us well. Get it down to 2 choices and pick the most popular. What is wrong with picking the "least bad" candidate, anyway?

Comment

• Well in general if you get enough signatures you're on the ballot (though I can't claim to know how every state handles it).

In Montana the State Supreme Court ordered the Green Party removed after it was uncovered that the Montana GOP was actually behind the signature-gathering effort and the actual Green Party had nothing to do with it. A bunch of signatories wanted their names crossed off and they also got in campaign finance trouble because they hid off the books that they had spent $100,000 to round up Green Party signatures.

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — The Montana Supreme Court said in an opinion released Wednesday that it rejected a Republican-backed bid to get Montana Green Party candidates on the November ballot because a petition to qualify them was not supported by the Green Party itself.

Comment

• Justice Kavanaugh proving once again that the Left’s screeching and gnashing of teeth about him and ACB was way off base.

Comment

Working...
                                X