Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
    Agreed, there were reasons initially. But we needed hard stops and limits as safety scaffolding as time drug on. By the end of Trump and when Joe took office, there were some definite things that should have been done economically that just were not done to help stop the bleeding. But Monday morning quarterbacking isn’t gonna fix things now.
    The Fed didn't change strategies quickly enough. The third covid bill (of March 2021) probably shouldn't have happened.

I can't guess at the % but some portion of the inflation is simply beyond anyone's control. Every developed country on the planet is dealing with it and it's worse in some places than here. The supply chain problems are going to take years to fix if we even want to fix them (with China) at this point.

Comment

• Another year passes and the Rock & Roll HoF snubs Joe Cocker again.

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis? Sure, come on down and get your hardware. But since Joe Cocker’s biggest hits are covers, nope. What a crock of shit.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Kind of a funny final map for the Governor's race, Talent, if you didn't look at it.

Renacci came in a surprising second - won just 2 counties. Blystone finished third - won 22 counties, almost all very rural.

Comment

• I thought the most significant/interesting thing from last night in Ohio was that DeWine received more votes than Whaley/Cranford...COMBINED (I think...maybe it changed w/ additonal reporting) and that JD almost had as many votes as Ryan.

It's a very tough state for Ds and I don't think 2022 is going to do them any favors.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Less Ohio politics/ more Joe Cocker praise.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I wish Washington DC progs were as dedicated to defeating high prices, as they are in having the legal ability to dismember and destroy preborn human beings in the womb because they are inconvenient.
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                I thought the most significant/interesting thing from last night in Ohio was that DeWine received more votes than Whaley/Cranford...COMBINED (I think...maybe it changed w/ additonal reporting) and that JD almost had as many votes as Ryan.

It's a very tough state for Ds and I don't think 2022 is going to do them any favors.
                I imagine a lot of Dems were like me and Mrs. Talent and chose the Republican ballot soley to vote for Dewine/anybody but JD Mandel. So that probably cut into Ryan's overall numbers a bit. But no, I don't expect he has much of a chance. And Whaley has none.

Comment

• Unfortunately, I don't think too many Ds actually followed the correct course. They very much wanted to cast their ballot for the next loser in the Ohio Governor's race instead of weighing in on the next likely Ohio senator.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

The Right to Life movement isn't going to be content to let every state do things its own way. As several people have pointed out, the majority of abortions occur in states that aren't likely to outlaw it completely. The next step for the Pro-Life movement, therefore, is attempting to pass a national law.

I know that in Missouri they were considering a law that would make it a crime for any resident of Missouri to travel outside the state to have an abortion. I don't know the legality of such a law, but the pro-lifers will absolutely attempt to pass laws like that.

DSL, you should talk to some Right to Life people. The last thing the pro-life side wants is a national law on abortion, pro or con. That is what this leaked opinion says at its root. The decisions that the states make will be litigated in the free market of ideas and will involve voters ultimately having their way. In the big D states, abortion on demand will prevail. In some southern states, there might be a total ban on abortion. If the pro-abortion crowd is so sure that Americans favor abortion, why not let the majority prevail? The fact is that "favoring" abortion is just another form of virtue signaling because only rednecks oppose abortion.

And you mention Missouri. I'll mention proposals in Maryland and California that allow the mother to "withhold" care in the first 28 days after birth. The former governor of Virginia made it clear that he felt a mother should be able to have her already-born baby tested to see if she wanted to keep him, and should be able to throw away the child if the child is "flawed". Dems REQUIRE that all party candidates support abortion. It is far more likely that the pro-abortion people allow for infanticide than that there is some law that prohibits citizens from going to states where abortion is legal in order to get an abortion. The Commerce Clause takes care of that.

Comment

• Ii really don't think Congress can enact a law re abortion. They'd have to make some pretty solid interstate commerce findings and I'm just not sure that it can be done. That was the problem with the Violence Against Women Act that the Court struck down roughly 30 years ago -- it's really hard to for Congress to regulate local "crime". One way or the other.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        NPR has an updating map that shows who is winning counties. Mandel and Vance are dominating rural votes. I think it’s likely that DJT’s nomination will end up costing Mandel the nomination. Dolan will be close, but he’s probably gonna lose by a point or two.
                        In fact, Trump-endorsed candidates were 22-0 last night. That makes it 55-0 overall.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                          I wish Washington DC progs were as dedicated to defeating high prices, as they are in having the legal ability to dismember and destroy preborn human beings in the womb because they are inconvenient.
                          Did you know certain factions of Judaism (not Orthodox) allow for abortion because the fetus is not considered a human being until birth?

Exodus 21:22 is translated and interpreted different ways but some rabbis consider it proof that a fetus is not the same as a human being. The verse is tranlated differently obviously but at least in many the verse describes the punishment for a man who intentionally causes a woman to miscarry. The punishment is a fine and not death, the normal punishment for murder.

Comment

• The fact is that "favoring" abortion is just another form of virtue signaling because only rednecks oppose abortion.
                            Correction, Geezer: Only WHITE MALE rednecks oppose abortion. Don't you ever listen to "the view"?

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• If I had to guess, I would say that a dozen or so states will keep abortion 100% legal on demand through the third trimester. Maybe ten states will outlaw it entirely, but it could be more than that if the Rs in states like Michigan and Wisconsin overplay their hands, in which case they will probably be voted out of office. An outright ban an abortion is not a winning position for most of the country. The centrist position is first trimester + rape/incest and that's the position that I expect to prevail in most of the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

DSL, you should talk to some Right to Life people. The last thing the pro-life side wants is a national law on abortion, pro or con. That is what this leaked opinion says at its root. The decisions that the states make will be litigated in the free market of ideas and will involve voters ultimately having their way. In the big D states, abortion on demand will prevail. In some southern states, there might be a total ban on abortion. If the pro-abortion crowd is so sure that Americans favor abortion, why not let the majority prevail? The fact is that "favoring" abortion is just another form of virtue signaling because only rednecks oppose abortion.

And you mention Missouri. I'll mention proposals in Maryland and California that allow the mother to "withhold" care in the first 28 days after birth. The former governor of Virginia made it clear that he felt a mother should be able to have her already-born baby tested to see if she wanted to keep him, and should be able to throw away the child if the child is "flawed". Dems REQUIRE that all party candidates support abortion. It is far more likely that the pro-abortion people allow for infanticide than that there is some law that prohibits citizens from going to states where abortion is legal in order to get an abortion. The Commerce Clause takes care of that.
                                A lot of the Dem proposals & laws being thrown out there is being done by extremists that lack majority support. Outlawing all abortions with no exceptions for even rape, incest, or underage girls ALSO is an extremist position. Consider the polls all lies, virtue signaling, whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                X