Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    Finally, I don’t think we’re talking book bans. We’re talking, most the time, curriculum choices and less often what books are in a school library. I’m not aware of anything where schools or other local authority is prohibiting certain books from being read.

A school may not teach Harper Lee or Vonnegut, but they ain’t stopping anyone from reading them.

And meanwhile, we’re humming along at 8% inflation that is probably going to take a recession to stop.
    Did you not click on DSL's link?

Having a pastor, a "person of good moral character" select the books for the library is what that religious nut-job is suggesting.

So yes. We are talking book bans based on religious beliefs.

So do we allow lessons to not be taught just because it offends someone or makes them uncomfortable?

For example, do we not talk about Civil War and it's causes, because the truth about the reasons for the war offends southerners?

Jesus. I hope not, but we are headed in that direction.
    Last edited by CGVT; May 22, 2022, 01:59 PM.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I and many others are offended by your religion. I see nothing wrong with accommodating that part of the community that may be offended by a certain religion be allowed to limit it any way they see fit.
      So, if the evangelical majority in my area is offended by the tittie bar that opened over by the highway, our wishes to see that place closed should be accommodated? I'm sure your answer is "no", because your restrictions only apply to people of faith, and not a booby-bar owner.

Restrict churches and people of faith. Yes.

Restrict bare boobies. No

Got it.
      Last edited by lineygoblue; May 22, 2022, 02:05 PM.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Shaddup and please stand and place your right hand over your heart.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

So, if the evangelical majority in my area is offended by the tittie bar that opened over by the highway, our wishes to see that place closed should be accommodated? I'm sure your answer is "no", because your restrictions only apply to people of faith, and not a booby-bar owner.

Restrict churches and people of faith. Yes.

Restrict bare boobies. No

Got it.
          Actually, that statement was only to show how ridiculous Geezer's stance on the issue is, not to elicit a strawman.

It was not meant to be taken literally.

Good Lord, your response was akin to Talent's intentionally obtuse posts. Maybe I give you guys too much credit to be able to interpret pretty simple concepts. *sigh*
          Last edited by CGVT; May 22, 2022, 02:57 PM.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
            More importantly your Cornell Big Red have advanced to the NCAA FUCKING EPIC LACROSSE FINAL FOUR BOO YA BITCHES

Please enjoy this drone footage of campus set to a Coldplay song

Little closer than it should have been.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Little closer than it should have been.
              Yeah the latter part of the 3rd period sucked.

There's half a game left (and in lacrosse that's an eternity) but Maryland is kicking Virginia's ass. Looking like an all Big10-Ivy Final Four

Comment

• Maryland-Rutgers, Part 3 for all the marbles. Assuming they hold on against Virginia.

Comment

• Lacrosse smack.

Pitiful.
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

A school may not teach Harper Lee or Vonnegut, but they ain’t stopping anyone from reading them.
                    Yeah, the last time I checked, none of these “offensive” books were particularly hard to get ahold of.

Comment

• Whether it is in the curricula or not, having them available in the school library is needed. They are important works. And at least it’s not the shit ball “Catcher”.

I think the idea of “protecting” high school students from the themes, language, and ideas in those books is the height of stupidity. These people have no idea of the lyrics of the Kendrick Lamar or Future songs these 17-year-old are listening to or the shit they read and post on IG, Snap, Reddit, or whatever.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        Whether it is in the curricula or not, having them available in the school library is needed. They are important works. And at least it’s not the shit ball “Catcher”.

I think the idea of “protecting” high school students from the themes, language, and ideas in those books is the height of stupidity. These people have no idea of the lyrics of the Kendrick Lamar or Future songs these 17-year-old are listening to or the shit they read and post on IG, Snap, Reddit, or whatever.
                        These people think kids today masturbate while reading Kurt Vonnegut, Thomas Pynchon, and William Burroughs, while thinking nothing of handing them a smartphone. It's pretty funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post

Yeah, the last time I checked, none of these “offensive” books were particularly hard to get ahold of.
                          Are you all just going to ignore the fact that the clip has the woman wanting to ban them or are you just going to keep trying to change the narrative?

That is what the clip DSL posted is about. Period

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

These people think kids today masturbate while reading Kurt Vonnegut, Thomas Pynchon, and William Burroughs, while thinking nothing of handing them a smartphone. It's pretty funny.
                            Let’s not forget the people who who “BAN” To Kill a Mockingbird. You posted nothing on that. You’d much rather just post clip of an idiot in Texas than a story on an entire school board in Seattle. The latter are your kind of people.

This is the problem. It rings really fucking hollow when you stick with your D talking points. It rings really hollow when you seemingly pretend that only religious folks are doing this. It rings really hollow when you generally laugh at and mock the Free Speech cousin to this — cancel culture.

What it seems like is “ha, look at that idiot R” not that you any really concern about the substantive issue.

Comment

• Yep. Same thing.

According to the Seattle Times, the Mukilteo School Board voted unanimously Monday night to remove Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird” from the required reading list for ninth graders while still allowing for teachers to choose to teach the classic novel to students.

Comment

• Stacy Abrams is running for Governor in "The worst state to live in". Her own words.

Yet, she has a net worth of over $3 million dollars, and multiple homes in Georgia.

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams said her state of Georgia is "the worst" to live in on issues like mental health and incarceration.

Now, our good friend Mr. AlabamAlum probably agrees that Georgia is a horrible place to live, but for Ms. Abrams to be running in an election to lead such a horrible state makes one wonder about her mental stability.

Maybe this time Georgia will slash its own throat and elect that pinhead.
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X