Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    The Texas provision is probably just a poorly thought out law. The cynical part of me might say state Republicans figured their voters are too smart and sophisticated to let this trip them up, heh, but it didn’t work out that way.

Whatever the motivation the only reason the provision exists it to pander to election fraud fantasists. And the result is 28,000 people had their votes thrown in the trash. And because it’s extremely difficult for anyone under 65 to vote by mail in Texas anymore they were almost all seniors.
    Yeah, it’s categorically idiotic to think your voters are smarter than other voters. That’s why I never, ever understood the notion that facially neutral rules (ID, e.g.) somehow disadvantage Ds. You may be right that Rs in Texas thought that, but if they did see above.

It’s slightly less stupid, but stupid nonetheless, to indulge the voter fraud stuff. I’ve said it many times and will say many more times: voter fraud/voter suppression are two sides of the same coin specifically intended to delegitimize elections based on zero or functionally zero evidence.

People who ostensibly care ought to care about the sheer lies told to delegitimize the other side’s wins.

Now, it does make sense to address the rules/changes put in place for Covid and to figure out a coherent policy that embraces all such changes, rolls back some changes, or rolls back all changes. Georgia was in the middle.
    Last edited by iam416; May 25, 2022, 05:55 PM.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Yeah, it’s categorically idiotic to think your voters are smarter than other voters. That’s why I never, ever understood the notion that facially neutral rules (ID, e.g.) somehow disadvantage Ds.
      I don’t either. It’s almost as if the real reason that Democrats object to election integrity rules is that they don’t want to lose the competitive advantage that they gain from voter fraud.

Comment

• Either that or they recognize that stupid people disproportionately vote in their favor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post
          Either that or they recognize that stupid people disproportionately vote in their favor.
          Trump couldn't take over the Democratic Party because there were too many smart people.

In the Republican party, on the other hand...

Comment

• Democrats are significantly dumber than Republicans. Yet the Democrats also (apparently) steal every election they win and do so in a manner that the oh-so-smart Conservatives can never manage to catch.

It's like Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane insisting he's smarter than the Duke Boys

Comment

• Originally posted by Obi-Jon View Post
              Whitmer came into office there was a $3B deficit, today there is a $3.5B surplus. All my local roads and bridges have been fixed. My taxes have not increased. I get $400 per vehicle back from insurance robber barons. If that's treachery, I'd like some more please. Focus on performance, not partisanship.

Hillary is an awfully brutal label to be throwing around. As bad as labeling someone to be as ethical and moral as DJT.
              If Gretch Whitmer had her way, the good folks of the Holly/Fenton area would be paying another $.45 per gallon of gas, to 'fix the dam roads'. In Shiawassee County today, the price of gasoline is $4.48. With Gretch's desired tax added in that would be $4.93. She also ran the state like a dictatorship for the first 18 months of the pandemic, until the MSC (including Democrat justices) reeled her back in. She rightfully ended up with mud in her eye, along with her pal Nessie, when they tried to put my good friend Karl Manke out of business. Even the State Troopers here refused to obey her orders. And, of course, she lives a very privileged lifestyle. Her boat, her parties, all taking place during the pandemic when the rest of us were ordered to stay inside.

Hillary is definitely worse, but not very. As far as I know, Gretch hasn't ordered anyone killed .. er... suicided...
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Currently reminiscing about my grad school days where on Wednesdays the local dive bar promoted "Group Therapy Night", serving a pitcher of cheap beer and 4 poorly made Kamikaze shots for $8 (and all the free popcorn you can eat!)

Comment

• Putting aside talking smack and snarky posts and forum fun for a moment of seriousness

This is one of the toughest clips I've watched in a very long time. Watch it or don't. It's tough emotionally.

Comment

• Talent,

Will you be donning Scouser Red or are you pulling for La Yunta Blancos Saturday?
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      Currently reminiscing about my grad school days where on Wednesdays the local dive bar promoted "Group Therapy Night", serving a pitcher of cheap beer and 4 poorly made Kamikaze shots for $8 (and all the free popcorn you can eat!)
                      Sounds like a dive bar in Tuscaloosa called Harry’s. Tuesday’s was 10 cent beer night. It was only a 10oz cup but you could go in with 2 bucks and get absolutely hammered.

And they had quarter quarter shots of Montezuma. In other words we beat the shut out of our livers but we did it cheaply.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• We used to play a little game at least the first round where we’d get one extra shot glass and float it the pitcher of beer. Everyone took turns pouring at least a little beer into the shot glass. Whoever made it sink had to drink all four kamikaze shots

Comment

• First ship I was on out of boot camp was the 180' buoy tender, Sundew out of Duluth MN. We used to come back from being underway and the ship would buy a keg of beer in a dive bar called The Warehouse. Our crew was about 50 people and about half would go to the bar. We'd drink the first keg and and chip in to buy another...

We played a game we called Sink the Sundew. We would put a beer glass inside a pitcher of beer and then take turns pouring a shot of beer into the glass. Whoever Sank the Sundew had to guzzle the pitcher.

It is amazing that any of us lived past 30
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                            Talent,

Will you be donning Scouser Red or are you pulling for La Yunta Blancos Saturday?
                            Fuck Liverpool, but Fuck Madrid sideways. They’re trash. Don’t know how City lost that tie.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Those buoy tender crews were a special kind of goof balls. Most tenders had skippers who were LT's or LCDR's and ran the ships kind of loosely. Most guys I knew that were stationed on tenders seemed to like being assigned there.

The 378's were another story.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Don't want to rush to judgment but starting to get a bad Parkland vibe to the police response to this shooter. The few released details surrounding the police who first encountered Ramos keep changing. Some say they exchanged fire; others say they didn't. One account says they forced him into the classroom; others say he locked the door himself. It apprently took near an hour between when he first entered the school to when he was shot.

There's video floating around of a few dozen parents angrily screaming at the police outside to stop standing around and do something. Another shows cops pinning one man (presumably a parent) to the ground while others hover with tazers in their hands.

Comment

Working...
                                X