No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over the past 40 years, 30 years responding to them, I've been through a shit-ton of these. The weather channel always sells doom and gloom. Many of the local stations do the same thing. Usually in a media market there is one station/meteorologist that has its shit together and gives good information. Locally the guy on the NBC station in Jacksonville, Tim Deegan is the guy. He is spot on, no drama and says "this is what we expect and why" There was a guy in Mobile that got some national recognition during Katrina that did the same.
    The problem with the doom and gloom sellers is that they make people complacent. "Well, I evacuated for X storm and it didn't do shit, so I ain't leaving for this one" and then they stay and get caught up in a world of shit when it actually is doom and gloom

​​​​​​I'm just glad I don't have to prep a Coast Guard Station and respond to these things anymore. It is a lot easier when all you have to worry about is your own shit
    Last edited by CGVT; September 29, 2022, 12:08 PM.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I can't imagine what going through something like this would be. I have been through a few pretty destructive tornados up here but those are 10 to 20 minutes of horror typically.

Stay safe guy.
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Thanks, Wiz.
        We should be OK. The shift to the east will lessen the impact on us. It will be a about 24-36 hrs of high winds and rain, but for us, at least, it shouldn't be much more than an inconvenience. Kind of like a two or three day blizzard in the north. A lot of shit could go wrong, but probably won't. Even if we lose power here it most likely will only be for a few days. I got lots of ice, water, gas for the Coleman stove, charcoal and a good supply of Tequila and limes. We'll be good for a while.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Good to hear.

Man some of the video and pictures I'm seeing are just horrific.
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Yeah, this is really mild in comparison. I got bored today and went out to check things out at the beach. This is the same place as yesterday. It was about 11:30 this morning. We're starting to get some storm surge. It was pretty close to high tide. The water was high, there is usually a few hundred yards of beach there at high tide. Winds were blowing about 35-40 kts sustained with some gusts that I would guess were pushing 60 or so.
            The storm is still about 150 miles south of us and we have two more high tides to worry about as this thing goes past. One will be about 1:00 AM and then another at about noon tomorrow. Once we get past the one tomorrow we won't have to worry about any flooding. Forcast is for about 4-5' above normal. If that is the case it will not affect most of the island, although some in low lying areas will have some problems.

Last edited by CGVT; September 29, 2022, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Couple videos from Fort Myers Beach. Most buildings seem to have survived but all windows gone and likely first floor flood damage. The amount of debris and shit everywhere is the real disheartening thing.

WATCH: Fort Myers Beach 'leveled' after Hurricane Ian (1/2) | wtsp.com

WATCH: Fort Myers Beach 'leveled' after Hurricane Ian (2/2) | wtsp.com

Comment

• A mobile home park wiped out

Comment

• Not sure where specifically these are from. The bridge is the only road to Sanibel and Captiva islands I mentioned this morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

I ain't going near the most used piece of equipment at the North Georgia CrossFit...
                    6069255_0.png
                    Last edited by Hannibal; September 29, 2022, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• 34c3d16c3c638fff.jpg

Comment

• WHEN BIDEN TOOK OFFICE:
                        Inflation: 1.4%
                        Gas: $2.39
                        30 year Fixed Mortgage: 2.65%
                        Median asking rent: $1,625
                        Nasdaq: 13,342

TODAY:
                        Inflation: 8.3%
                        Gas: $3.75
                        30 year Fixed Mortgage: 7.08%
                        Median asking rent: $2,039
                        Nasdaq: 10,829

But at least there are no more mean tweets.​

Comment

• A mobile home park wiped out
                          The state of FL has worked hard to make it nearly impossible for mobile home parks to spring up within coastal areas and land in flood zones. Success is mixed and that is because some property owners have deeds issued before zoning restrictions stopped the flood of mobile homes into FL. The picture DSL posted of the mobile home park located near the beach is probably such a property and has been in the property owners possession for decades. Open the gates and the people will come and park ...... in their rickety mobile homes and travel trailers

We get these same kind of pictures of destroyed mobile homes and dead people who lived in them after a tornado strike. Makes for good doomsday news and grist to pillory government and officials running it. The truth is mobile homes and travel trailers are unsafe in destructive weather. Locating them or living in them in flood zones or on or near the beach is dumb and goes against both common sense and plentiful local and state government information telling these idiots who do this its dangerous. Certainly though, the deaths and destruction inflicted on dumb assess will be Desantis' fault. Bank on it.

I certainly don't want to minimize the impact of Ian on specific areas and people, but the whole state of FL isn't underwater or destroyed, streets littered with bodies (That's Bucha in Ukraine after the Russians left). One of the great things that is certainly not going to get press is the FL state government's emergency management and preparedness under the direction of Governor Ron Desantis. Note the publications and the content. His left wing D critics are already at work trying to discredit him over this. All the arm waving, doomsday shit from the MSM feeds the D's narrative:

Republicans privately loathe Ron DeSantis. Will this hurt his 2024 presidential run? "I describe him as having the personality of a piece of paper." By Daniel Villarreal Wednesday, September 28, 2022. By most accounts, 44-year-old Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) will run for president in 2024. The only problem is many of those closest to him despise him. At least that’s the gist of a new Vanity Fair profile on DeSantis in which numerous sources describe DeSantis as combative, cold, and “a mix of extreme arrogance and painful awkwardness.”​

A week before Ian was projected to make landfall somewhere in FL, The FL Division of Emergency Management did all kinds of things (see link to web site in the article below). All people had to do was be informed to stay safe but, as I said, people are dumb. Regardless, Desantis is the devil incarnate.

Desantis fights back against the misinformation:

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                            WHEN BIDEN TOOK OFFICE:
                            Inflation: 1.4%
                            Gas: $2.39
                            30 year Fixed Mortgage: 2.65%
                            Median asking rent: $1,625
                            Nasdaq: 13,342

TODAY:
                            Inflation: 8.3%
                            Gas: $3.75
                            30 year Fixed Mortgage: 7.08%
                            Median asking rent: $2,039
                            Nasdaq: 10,829

But at least there are no more mean tweets.​
                            The facts don't lie. They do get in the way of shaping the D narrative.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Record breaking job market!!!
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Iran: In other shit-storms around the world we have the protests in Iran after a young woman arrested for not wearing her hijab was beaten to death by police. There's more going on there. From ISW:
                                • Circumstantial evidence suggests that Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei is at least temporarily unable to perform his normal duties.
                                • Regime power centers are behaving as if succession is either imminent or underway.
                                • The ongoing Mahsa Amini protests may be challenging the regime’s capability and willingness to crack down but do not appear close to collapsing the regime.
                                • The IRGC may assess that anti-regime Kurdish militants operating around the Iran-Iraq-Turkey border are arming and stoking the protests.
                                • The IRGC conducted a large-scale attack into Iraqi Kurdistan on September 28, killing one American.

Comment

Working...
                                X