Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    Others have noted that the Trump-Clinton is not red state vs blue state so much as it is urban/suburban vs. rural. How a billionaire real estate mogul who wouldn't be caught dead in most of rural America got to become its champion is beyond me, but it is what it is.

Nearly all the recovery since 2008 has been in cities or near them. Places like West Virginia or Monroe County, Ohio haven't seen anything improve. I get where those people are coming from. But at the same time, when they dream about a return to the boomtown days of the coal rush in the 1920's, I think they are delusional. Nothing's bringing that back.
    Its identity politics. Trump supporters are overwhelmingly white males, voting for the white male; its really no more complicated than that IMO.

Whites males represent a larger percentage of the population in rural areas than anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      It is interesting how that Hamilton musical has increased his name recognition. Before it, Hamilton was the crazy guy who got shot by Burr.
      In the musical, Hamilton, although I've not seen it, the show on PBS gave the impression that the actor playing Jefferson portrayed him as a bit "crazy." I think this is all part of Miranda's, the writer/actor and originator of the Musical Hamilton, to examine some of the hypocrisy of the founding fathers depicted in history as good guys. Jefferson, supposedly a man of the people, is one of Miranda's targets ..... Jefferson is portrayed as this foppish, rather detached dilettante, a ladies man (referencing his affair with one of his slaves). Hamilton takes a hit over his affair with the wife of James Reynolds who, according to Chernov, his biographer, was black mailing Hamilton.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Crazy was more a catchall phrase I used. Manic was probably a better catchall. Napoleonic, monarchist. Even his nominal rivals would badmouth him let alone his rivals. You read enough Washington biographies there is a common thread about people complaining about Hamilton, using him as a reason why Washington was doing things they disapproved of.

Comment

• New Arizona poll shows Trump up one though it could be worse for him than that overall.

40% of the respondents said they've already voted and of those, Clinton is winning 52%-42%. Could indicate that unless Trump really turns out the vote on Election Day he could be in trouble.

West Long Branch, NJ  - Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are in a virtual tie for Arizona's electoral votes, according to the Monmouth University

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
            Its identity politics. Trump supporters are overwhelmingly white males, voting for the white male; its really no more complicated than that IMO.
            It's too bad that those dirty white males practice so much identity politics. If only they would be more like Blacks, Muslims, Hispanics, and single moms, who never pratice identity politics or vote in their self-interest.

Comment

• I'm seeing Hamilton next month. Doing the parade, Katz', and Hamilton.

I still grieve that the Manhattan Chess Club closed. No trip to NYC was complete without a visit. Any nondescript midweek afternoon you could see a half dozen grandmasters playing casual games of chess or bughouse (occaisionlly Go or Pente) and talking about sports, women, politics... while A few dozen international masters leaned in on every word. It was a special place for a chess player.

Anyway, looking forward to Hamilton and pastrami.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• It's too bad that those dirty white males practice so much identity politics. If only they would be more like Blacks, Muslims, Hispanics, and single moms, who never practice identity politics or vote in their self-interest.
                Yes. I was thinking just that before you said it.

The Russians have predicted for some time that America would split apart. I once saw an article that had a projected split. One "country" was "Coastal America" and included the east and west coasts and the great lakes states. The other country was "Jesusland" and included the whole south and interior states. An interesting thought.

Comment

• Looks like the electoral college projected map

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                    It's too bad that those dirty white males practice so much identity politics. If only they would be more like Blacks, Muslims, Hispanics, and single moms, who never pratice identity politics or vote in their self-interest.
                    Man...that bait sat out much there longer than I expected.

Folks be slippin' around here.

Comment

• Well if the Russians say it, book it

Comment

• It was a little to obvious for my taste, Hoss, and so clearly aimed at me.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                          Yes. I was thinking just that before you said it.

The Russians have predicted for some time that America would split apart. I once saw an article that had a projected split. One "country" was "Coastal America" and included the east and west coasts and the great lakes states. The other country was "Jesusland" and included the whole south and interior states. An interesting thought.
                          Jesusland better hurry. They're losing membership. In a couple decades the entire east coast, including the Carolinas and Georgia, could be in the other camp. Arizona and Texas too.

Comment

• Trump files for divorce with the Republican Party

The decision by the Republican candidate, described to The Post by his finance chairman, deals another serious blow to the GOP's ability to finance get-out-the-vote efforts before Election Day.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                              I'm seeing Hamilton next month. Doing the parade, Katz', and Hamilton.

I still grieve that the Manhattan Chess Club closed. No trip to NYC was complete without a visit. Any nondescript midweek afternoon you could see a half dozen grandmasters playing casual games of chess or bughouse (occaisionlly Go or Pente) and talking about sports, women, politics... while A few dozen international masters leaned in on every word. It was a special place for a chess player.

Anyway, looking forward to Hamilton and pastrami.

My wife and daughter saw Hamilton the day before the Tonys. They got to see the original cast. My daughter was/is obsessed with it. We got her tickets for Christmas and bought them about 6 months in advance.

While they were in the city, they went to the TKTS booth on Wall Street every day and got tickets for other shows. I think they went to 4 shows in addition to Hamilton. I know they saw Something Rotten and An American in Paris, not sure what others. They got 3rd and 4th row center seats for about $60 each-a hell of a deal.

If you want to see some other shows, it is the way to go. Just make sure you go to the Wall Street TKTS booth, there wasn't any line at all. The booth in Times Square is not worth the time.
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Man waving "Blacks For Trump" sign behind Trump at a number of rallies is a former member of a violent cult who hates Jews and gays

Comment

Working...
                                X