Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
    Sacha Baron Cohen dresses up in disguise and sings a racist song to Trumpers and they lap it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ry...LizPVLNZf_Rrog
    Which part of that is racist?

Does it come in the latter half because I stopped watching after about four minutes when it was obvious that maybe five or six people were singing along at most. For some of the lines nobody sang at all.
    Last edited by Hannibal; June 28, 2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Racist
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The end finally comes for Chesapeake Energy, once America's most active driller and its largest shale company

Comment

• Here's a hint at vaccine prices.

The maker of a drug shown to shorten recovery time for severely ill COVID-19 patients says it will charge $2,340 for a typical treatment course for people covered by government health programs in the United States and other developed countries.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
            Normally new cases slow down over the weekend but Arizona announces a new record high today: over 3800 cases. Around a 25% positive testing rate. Awful

The past three days in Florida have seen 8900 new cases, 9500, and 8500 respectively.
            Not good, not good at all and especially as it relates to the story circulating this morning the US "has given up" while the EU (and the rest of the world) triumphs in it's battle v. the pandemic.

Alex Azar, Sec HHS, was interviewed this morning by George Stephanopolis on GMA. An articulate spokes-person for US Public Health Policy, IMO. He did push the Trump line a bit arguing we're doing fine. He also advanced a line of thinking that I think has legs. It's about rates, in this case rates of testing. He argued that the US has a rate of testing per capita that far exceeds any other nation's. The net result is the capture and reporting of asymptomatic cases in the US that are not being ID'ed elsewhere. Not stated but implied, case reporting accuracy varies widely and the US's is more accurate. The rest of the world either isn't testing at a similar rate or lying about results.

This has been discussed here before. You can't compare case rates or absolute numbers of new cases between countries and draw conclusions from those comparisons ..... but the media doesn't care about that reality. It's a good story, go with it, despite that it is misleading if not factually inaccurate. Context.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I had dinner with friends, a couple, last night. The husband is an anti-masker but wears one at work because he has to or won't have a job. He is a manger of a local Home Depot. Interestingly, I'd characterize him as a bit of a germaphobe. He practices homeopathy and takes Oregonal (look it up). He has followed a particular hygiene regimen for years and claims he never gets sick from hundreds of customers he comes in close, prolonged contact with every day. He has always insisted that customers maintain a respectful distance when he is engaging in conversation with him. He has a point.

His anti-mask argument goes something like this: The young have low rates of serious C-19 symptoms. Most have no symptoms at all or only mild ones if infected with SARS-CoV-2. Why are we masking them? Why are we restricting their mobility and closing down bars, restaurants and entertainment venues that they frequent? If young people test + for C-19, mask them. The vulnerable, and we know who they are, should be masked and their mobility should be restricted.

I didn't ask him how he might deal with the high transmissability of SARS-CoV-2, i.e., kid gets the virus, hugs grandma and she gets C-19 and dies. I could see PH policy that says regardless of infection status, social distance and mask when visiting grandma. You'd still have to deal with non-compliance but that isn't going to go away no matter what mitigation policies that might be established.

All of this brings into question the "back-tracking" on reopenings in AZ and FL. I'm not saying there isn't a problem with community spread. What I am saying is that the PH policies and actions coming from the state and local levels may be misguided.

Look, we're going to have to deal with the virus and C-19 for a long time. We're going to have to deal with the next virus and the next and so forth. We can't shutter whole economies or even parts of them as mitigation measures .... they look good but they may be entirely unnecessary if we can manage a paradigm shift in how we deal with this virus and the viruses that will surely come at us in the future. I'm not basing this idea on great science but, sure as fuck, what we're doing now isn't either.
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; June 29, 2020, 08:15 AM.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                The end finally comes for Chesapeake Energy, once America's most active driller and its largest shale company

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/28/ches...rotection.html
                There will be many more to come. Some refiners (e.g. Holly Frontier and Valero) are announcing conversions of their refineries to Renewable diesel, which means that they won't run any crude. The drive for CO2 reduction is going to have consequences. Very painful and serious consequences. (keep that resume up to date, bruh)

Comment

• Atlanta Councilman Michael Bond:

“Crime doesn’t take a holiday. Crime doesn’t care about activists or protests. Crime doesn’t care about black men getting shot down in the streets. The criminals know the police are diverted. They are taking advantage of the situation.....The irony about defunding to reform police is that residents in those areas are begging for more police...”
                  Bond voted to withold funding from the APD in an effor to force reform.

Also: In the third week of June, Atlanta cops made 50 traffic stops. In the corresponding period a year ago, they made 3,000.

I've long been at the point where I hope these preening assclowns get exactly what they explicitly wish for.

Comment

• The drive for CO2 reduction is going to have consequences
                    As a quick reminder, China still leads the world in CO2 production -- by A LOT (over 27%). Over the past 10 years, the US has reduced CO2 emissions (14%) while China has increased emissions. China has pledged to START reducing emissions by 2030.

The doomsday year ins 2030 (for now) -- AOC and the UN and every motherfucking alarmist says 50% decrease by 2030 -- that's the NEW doomsday year. If China doesn't increase emissions -- LMMFAO -- then the rest of the world needs to decrese emissions by 68% to offset China. If China CONTINUES to increase emissions then, well, that number goes up.

The US could completely eliminate emissions and the rest of the non-China world would still have to drop emissions by over 60% to reach the 50% by 2030 or we all die deadline.

Just a little perspective into how fucking preposterous this all is.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      Atlanta Councilman Michael Bond:

Bond voted to withold funding from the APD in an effor to force reform.

Also: In the third week of June, Atlanta cops made 50 traffic stops. In the corresponding period a year ago, they made 3,000.

I've long been at the point where I hope these preening assclowns get exactly what they explicitly wish for.
                      I saw something on Twitter from a cop. Talked about when he got to the station he was told he was assigned to a protest, which he said he was fine with. The protest was to ‘defund the police’ but they had requested a police presence for their safety. Also, saw where a man who was shot in the “autonomous” zone in Seattle was looking to sue because police and EMS service was slow to get to the autonomous zone to help him. It’s all an equal mixture of hilarious irony and sadness for humanity.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The protest was to ‘defund the police’ but they had requested a police presence for their safety. Also, saw where a man who was shot in the “autonomous” zone in Seattle was looking to sue because police and EMS service was slow to get to the autonomous zone to help him. It’s all an equal mixture of hilarious irony and sadness for humanity.
                        It's almost unbelievable. I do feel bad for the normal, law-abiding citizens who simply want sensible police reforms. But, that ship has fucking sailed. For the folks actually running the show, the issue is a bullet-proof trojan horse for remaking as much of American society as possible.

It reminds me of The Wire when Hamsterdam opens and they find one elderly woman living there and they can't convince her to leave. But, in this case it's far more than one woman -- their are plenty of sensible voices in the community -- but, if those voices don't want to be heard then I don't know what to say. Policing is a community compact and if the community decides to go without police then fuck them. That's the deal.

Comment

• They won't live with the consequences. They will still blame you and double down on "racism". We know this from the Left's history.

The only innocent victims here are the people not voting for the current regime in Atlanta. if you voted for this, then you deserve the consequences. All of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

As a quick reminder, China still leads the world in CO2 production -- by A LOT (over 27%). Over the past 10 years, the US has reduced CO2 emissions (14%) while China has increased emissions. China has pledged to START reducing emissions by 2030.

The doomsday year ins 2030 (for now) -- AOC and the UN and every motherfucking alarmist says 50% decrease by 2030 -- that's the NEW doomsday year. If China doesn't increase emissions -- LMMFAO -- then the rest of the world needs to decrese emissions by 68% to offset China. If China CONTINUES to increase emissions then, well, that number goes up.

The US could completely eliminate emissions and the rest of the non-China world would still have to drop emissions by over 60% to reach the 50% by 2030 or we all die deadline.

Just a little perspective into how fucking preposterous this all is.
                            DSL will be out of a job before long, but maybe he can get a job as a Diversity Consultant when it's all said and done. 🤣

Comment

• They won't live with the consequences. They will still blame you and double down on "racism". We know this from the Left's history.

The only innocent victims here are the people not voting for the current regime in Atlanta. if you voted for this, then you deserve the consequences. All of them.
                              Correct. (1) The left's answer to failed policies is that you didn't do enough. Didn't spend enough; didn't implement enough; whatever. The policy is always right; and (2) I've been saying since this shit happened that it's on Urban voters. Period. End of story.

DSL will be out of a job before long, but maybe he can get a job as a Diversity Consultant when it's all said and done.
                              If that's his path, he better come out trans and find some injun blood in him somewhere somehow.

Comment

• Two big SC cases

* Roberts sides with the liberals again and strikes down a Louisiana law that would've essentially made abortion non-existent. Roberts said the law was virtually identical to a Texas law that the Court struck down in 2016.

* Roberts sides with the conservatives in determining that the structure of the CFPB is unconstitutional. The ruling doesn't eliminate the CFPB entirely but says (essentially) the Director serves at the pleasure of the President and isn't independent in the way the Chair of the Fed Reserve is.

Comment

Working...
                                X