Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Greene on how sure he is about Justin Fields coming to Ohio State:

VERY confident on Fields. Very.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Fields, from what I've read about him, will be a great fit in day's offense. I didn't see that with Kirby's offense at UGA.

On the difference between osu and M recruiting ..... I could check, and I'm absolutely positive you will, but I think Harbaugh is much better at spotting under the radar talent than osu has been in the same period and he absolutely values character and the absence of what I've called handlers over star rating (and yes, you've pointed out that Harbaugh offered plenty of 5*s that didn't end up playing for him. You have your viewpoint and I have mine regarding what this means). Bush is the one example I can think of off the top of my head. There have been others.

You'll laugh but I think M does a better job of selling what it has to offer within the football program than football itself. Dax Hill is the poster child for that view, selecting M over Alabama. Gary is another example, selecting M over Clemson.

Obviously, I can't escape 1-14. Nobody on the osu side could escape john cooper's record v. M either. Was M recruiting better than cooper during that time frame? I honestly don't know. I also can't escape what for me was a completely unexpected loss to ufm. I think the win for you was equally unexpected. I don't think talent levels between the two teams at the time of that disaster was widely disparate. i.e, it wasn't recruiting that had a bearing on that loss.

The point of the foregoing is that I think Harbaugh is less concerned about recruiting to win than he is about recruiting to a standard unrelated to that. There is a cost when the osu's. Alabama's Clemason's recruit to win. Getting housed by an opponent that does that, even though that win probably wasn't all about recruiting, is tough medicine for the soul. I'm coming to grips with it.
      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; December 20, 2018, 01:26 PM.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• It could be that Meyer had less of a track record of unearthing 3-star gems because he didn't need to. But I do have the sense that Harbaugh's crew has hit on more than their share in the last few years.

Comment

• I could check, and I'm absolutely positive you will, but I think Harbaugh is much better at spotting under the radar talent than osu
          Well, it's an interesting question and even more interesting is the metric to answer it. If it's sheer quantity, then HARBAUGH!!!! may have the edge. UFM didn't really recruit 3* players -- or many of them -- so he only took a few shots. HARBAUGH!!! had to recruit lower ranked players because he couldn't get better. If it's in terms of percentages, well, that changes everything.

Robert Landers, Davon Hamilton, Malik Harrison and Chris Olave are all 3* guys. And they have a couple low 4* guys they took at the end that are pretty good (but, that also gets into what is "under the radar").

As for the rest of it -- not interested.

Comment

• Football is all about reps, if you are a 5 star not seeing any reps you lose ground to the 3 star seeing reps. Its not like other sports, you aren't fully formed as a player when you get to college. Sometimes to fill up airtime, people like to talk about someones eye for talent or development skills as coach when an unheralded player thrives but a lot of times it is just the player getting the snaps.

Olave is really good and suffered from the evaluation process because of he didn't play his junior year.

Comment

• Correct on all points. Need the reps. And Olave is a keeper.

Comment

• I'm gonna go ahead and let myself think about Justin Fields. If he gets the waiver to play next year then OSU might have a puncher's chance at the B10 East.

Comment

• You are the favorite with or without Fields.

Comment

• OSU's only real obstacle next year is Penn State.

Comment

• STFU
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• Way too early osu prediction but I think osu's offense under day/wilson will find it hard to gain an identity with a competition between tate martell and Justin Fields, if he comes, for the starting QB job. Martell was no slouch coming out of HS. He's got the tools. Fields is probably the better prospect right now but whoever wins the competition in the spring, the other will be gone. That's not a great situation for osu going into the 2019 season with the kind of RPO and RO offense osu probably wants to run. You better have a good back-up QB in that kind of system.

As nice as it would be for osu to get Fields, that might cause more problems than solve them.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• 'Next Chapter': Urban Meyer to teach character & leadership course at Ohio State

Comment

• Link? That would be awesome ...... if only as an indicator of the drainage ditch that is the osu football program and the high standards of the university. Well, no surprise. tressel is idolized. When's he getting the bronze statue made up?

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X