No announcement yet.

Coronavirus Safety Protocol - please read and discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFS, BATMAN? That's ^^^ the WRONG mask. Supposed to cover nose & mouth.
    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Regarding the money thing, ie, Paper money & coins........, I can't remember the last time I saw someone pay with cash, anywhere. It's contactless card payments everywhere.

Not the case in USA?

And err, serious question........, if I use contactless card while wearing a tan suit and a 5G coil truck driving past......, will my account be emptied?
      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
        Regarding the money thing, ie, Paper money & coins........, I can't remember the last time I saw someone pay with cash, anywhere. It's contactless card payments everywhere.

Not the case in USA?

And err, serious question........, if I use contactless card while wearing a tan suit and a 5G coil truck driving past......, will my account be emptied?
        There is still a ton of cash transactions in the US (there are a lot of people who think "the gubbermint" uses credit and debit card transactions to trace wherever they go and follow them for... reasons).

Of course, there are other reasons. Some people just feel more comfortable with cash on them. Some people don't feel they control their spending very well unless they have a physical reminder of how much they have. Some are nutters. But as a result, yeah... cash is still very much a thing on this side of the pond.

Comment

• I rarely use cash anymore for day to day stuff, but there are a couple small businesses in my area that have minimum spend amount to use a credit or debit card. There are also some gas stations that charge more for using a card. Some places will give you a cash discount because it cost them more to process card payments.

I do have friends and family that only use cash.Some are just old timers that never trusted anything else and there are others that can't manage money well enough to keep a bank account.I always laugh at some of the older people who still write checks at the grocery stores. The checks just get scanned and handed right back to them...

I know many that get paid on a card so are forced to use them Many have bridge cards (food stamps).

Comment

• How does all the card thing work though? Definitely NOT in the conspiracy camp, tin hat club....... but explain this instance for me Chemiclord if you can.

I only ever really use Tesco or Scotmid food shopping stores over here but about two months ago I used a place called Aldi. (Maybe you guys have Aldi stores too...... who knows, probably had them before us) Used them only the one and only time. Used contactless card.
            But then started receiving emails about their weekly deals? 🤷‍♂️
            What’s that aw aboot man?

Cue twilight zone music.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
              How does all the card thing work though? Definitely NOT in the conspiracy camp, tin hat club....... but explain this instance for me Chemiclord if you can.

I only ever really use Tesco or Scotmid food shopping stores over here but about two months ago I used a place called Aldi. (Maybe you guys have Aldi stores too...... who knows, probably had them before us) Used them only the one and only time. Used contactless card.
              But then started receiving emails about their weekly deals? 🤷‍♂️
              What’s that aw aboot man?

Cue twilight zone music.
              Well, to answer the second part (because it leads into to the first), when you open an account with a bank, you have to provide personal information (like an e-mail, physical address, name, etc.). That personal information can then be called upon when you use that card. Depending on the privacy laws of the city, state, province, or country used in, that company can then acquire that information and send you "targeted" advertisements, like the weekly deal emails you've been getting.

As to the first question, contact or card payments will also tag where and when the card was used (to try and aid investigators in bank fraud or stolen cards). In that regard, it's a very real thing that a government can do with credit or debit transactions that's harder to do with physical money (though not the slightest bit impossible, paper money has those serial numbers for a reason, after all).

The silliness is in the idea that the US government, or any government for that matter, has any particular interest, will, or desire to track the daily goings on of John Doe from Podunk. We're talking about a country of 300 million people. 99.999% of the information that is gathered from these transactions is never seen by an actual person. The amount of manpower that would be required to actively keep tabs of everyone would be staggering beyond the realm of plausible.

And yes... Aldi exists here, and has for about 20 years or so. I actually like it for getting "essential" stuff that is much more expensive elsewhere.
              Last edited by chemiclord; July 12, 2020, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• We have Aldi here. The closest to me is about 60 miles. We make a point of stopping when we get close by. They have some good deals on certain things.I have never got an email from them after using a card. No way they could get your email without you signing up for something I wouldn't think.

Cards here are probably the same. Debit cards are linked to your bank account. Credit or charge cards are just temporary loan or credit from issuer. Usually a bank or Visa, Mastercard etc. You get the bill every month and pay it off (if your smart). Otherwise you get charged interest on the outstanding balance.

Many employers now issue paycards instead of a paycheck. They are basically a debit card tied to a bank account. You use them until they run out of money.

Then there are prepaid cards and gift cards. They must be preloaded with a set amount. Some you use and toss and some you can reload again and again.

Some low income people qualify for whats called a "Bridge card". It is good for "non" prepared food type purchase only. All states have different rules though. For example I think in California they can be used for fast food.

Just like having your web searching tracked I'm sure the card issuers track your spending. But most privacy laws don't allow them to give your email out to others.

Edit- reduntant because Chemic posted the basic same info. Guess I need to type faster.
                Last edited by foxhopper; July 12, 2020, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• Must be a debit card thing. Never owned a credit card in my life. Not because I am loaded or anything, (far far from it)....., but I'd fear being completely skint having one. Way too handy.

And must be a UK thing. I get emails from Tesco, Sainsburys, Scotmid, Asda regularly along with hardware retailers. (And those few from Aldi). Weird.

Comment

• Originally posted by foxhopper View Post
                    We have Aldi here. The closest to me is about 60 miles. We make a point of stopping when we get close by. They have some good deals on certain things.I have never got an email from them after using a card. No way they could get your email without you signing up for something I wouldn't think.
                    Depends a lot on where you are. Scotland may have much more lax personal information laws. The US is actually one of the most protective countries in the world when it comes to personal information, if you believe it or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Depends a lot on where you are. Scotland may have much more lax personal information laws. The US is actually one of the most protective countries in the world when it comes to personal information, if you believe it or not.
                      Just know I am gonnae be a victim of fraud now after this conversation.

But shouldn't be too down. Tried putting a bet on yesterday with Betfair. But transaction declined followed by an email from "Betfair" saying someone in South Korea tried to use my account. They wanted all my bank and log in details and they'd have it sorted. So ------> sent all that over. Just waiting. Fingers crossed.

Should've heard by now though.

Comment

• Oh, you're fine. And just in case you lose money, I hear there's Nigerian prince looking to hide his wealth and is willing to give you a cut if you're willing to be one his havens. You should check into that.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                          The mask thing is just unreal. You wear a seatbelt when you get in a car. You wear a condom when you get it in with someone.

These stores are private property, meaning they can enforce any rules they want.

We all know it’s common that “no shirt, no shoes, no service.”

Just wear the fucking mask.
                          When I started in the Safety Profession getting people to wear seat belts were the same as masks today. Except it was a write up if they didn't comply. But Yeah, it happens with Safety. Mainly because it can be difficult to quantify things that don't happen. Yeah, we can look at trends and such but people don't grasp to those ideals.

The worse though (before the current Pandemic) was cigarette smoking. Back then people were smoking almost everywhere. A guy would be smoking at his desk and another guy right behind him would complain about having to endure it for 8 hours. Both guys exclaiming their rights. Only way I got people to stop doing this is to tell the smoker that he can't have that right unless he infringes on the other guy.

Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                          Must be a debit card thing. Never owned a credit card in my life. Not because I am loaded or anything, (far far from it)....., but I'd fear being completely skint having one. Way too handy.

And must be a UK thing. I get emails from Tesco, Sainsburys, Scotmid, Asda regularly along with hardware retailers. (And those few from Aldi). Weird.
                          Did you have your cell phone on you? If you did, this may be how they "found" you.
                          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Updating (new updates are bolded)

Bad Axe PD
                            Van Buren County Sheriff
                            Arenac County Sheriff (Standish is major city)
                            Sandusky PD

Arenac County Sheriff says they lack the manpower to enforce Whitmer's EO. Deputies run from call to call and any spare moments is devoting to traffic control.

Sandusky PD says all of Whitmer's EOs are confusing and they do not understand them.
                            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
                              Updating (new updates are bolded)

Bad Axe PD
                              Van Buren County Sheriff
                              Arenac County Sheriff (Standish is major city)
                              Sandusky PD

Arenac County Sheriff says they lack the manpower to enforce Whitmer's EO. Deputies run from call to call and any spare moments is devoting to traffic control.

Sandusky PD says all of Whitmer's EOs are confusing and they do not understand them.
                              Gratioit County Sheriff added to the list. Their statement:

The Sheriff's Office will not be ticketing anyone for not wearing a mask in public. If someone does not want to wear a mask in public and someone else files a formal complaint against that person then that complaint would be referred to the Gratiot County Prosecutor's Office or the Attorney General's Office.

Another problem that comes out of this is a business can ask someone to leave from their establishment or they could be trespassing, if they chose not to wear a mask. In that case we would do a trespassing complaint and it would also be referred to the Gratiot County Prosecutor for their review.
                              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                                Did you have your cell phone on you? If you did, this may be how they "found" you.
                                I didn’t, Future. I do remember finding it difficult getting in through the door with a 5G coil strapped to my head. The doorman did try to help me........ until he noticed my mask had slipped down. He screamed and kicked me out. Ugly bastard sure, but didn’t think that bad. Jaysus!

Comment

Working...
                                X