No announcement yet.

Coronavirus Safety Protocol - please read and discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ps follow up question ... if the problem is that variants could possibly form which vaccines don't work against ... why is that not possible amongst the unvaccinated with measles and polio? I'm assuming just the type of infection??
    WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by foxhopper View Post
      Larsky, your in the bowels of the end of the world. Tell me if it is really as bad as what the news is telling us.My whole family works in the medical field here in the middle of michigan and they all say that it is mostly bull shit. They are all being told to say things that are not what they are experiencing. I think we are all being lied to.
      Michigan has not been hit hard by COVID so far (except for Wayne County, natch), particular in the counties north of the big population centers (e.g., Kent, Ingham). So I'm not surprised the health systems your family works in hasn't had to experience it. With luck and strong community support, I hope they never do.

More likely, however, is that as the Delta variant continues to spread, we're going to see hospitals in the larger population centers fill up, and that's when you'll start seeing patients getting transferred to outlying hospitals. Because the deaths caused by COVID are only one part of the story. The other part is that when people get ill, they come into the hospital and they stay there for 10, 15 days, longer if they're ventilator dependent. That takes a hospital bed away from somebody else. And a hospital that's full of COVID patient's isn't able to take in people who have chest pain, are in a car accident, have an inflamed gallbladder or a tumor in their colon, etc.

And that leads to what we're seeing in Mississippi this week, where the head of the university hospital system announced that Mississippi's hospital system is going to fail in 7-10 days because they've reached max capacity, and people are still getting sick. There's going to be nowhere for them to go. And we'll all get to see that that looks like next week, I suppose.

My own hospital hasn't been in the news because we haven't been slammed, but I've seen our ICU fill up to the point where half our patient's are COVID, and the hospital administration has told me to be prepared to cross-train and manage those patients in a new emergency COVID ward they're prepared to throw together if it ever comes to that. I'm not excited about that prospect.

"To alcohol! The cause of—and solution to—all of life's problems." —Homer Simpson, 1997

Comment

• Forsh, I'll have to get back to you on your questions, I have to go to work.
        "To alcohol! The cause of—and solution to—all of life's problems." —Homer Simpson, 1997

Comment

• 87 people on respirators in Thomas Hospital system in Mobile and Baldwin Counties AL is not “bullshit”
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by foxhopper View Post
            ……They are all being told to say things that are not what they are experiencing…...
            Who are telling your family members to “say things”, Fox?

"I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post

Who are telling your family members to “say things”, Fox?
              Their supervisors, I guess. They tell me they feel pressured to relate things are worse than they are. Larsky is probably correct in saying we have just been lucky where I am.

My wife and I still don't know anyone who has been hospitalized or died except for the 2 people I mentined a couple months ago who died shortly after getting the vax. The majority of the people we know have had covid already including us.

PS- none of my family in health care are anti vaxxers. All but my daughter have the shot(s). She hasn't because she is due to have a baby next week and decided to wait.

Maybe they just tell me what they think I want to hear, but I don't think so.

I just want the truth and don't beleve we are getting it. Myself I have lost all faith in our government and health care. I absolutely do not trust big pharma- But I'm not dumb enough not to admit many drugs save lives. I just chose to manage my ailments by trying to eat healthy and exercise. I manage pretty well although lately I tend to drink a few too many beers on occasion (like when I posted above).

I admit my mental health isn't the best. The cancer has really screwed me up. I just can't do the things I used to do and it has taken most of the joy out of living. Still going to hang around as long as I can but on my terms.

Comment

• The government has become do much us vs. them and the "them" will destroy America.

The reality is people with different viewpoints can and have worked together to compromise and run things successfully together for years. I can still have great friendships and conversations with my conservative friends. Trump slaves? Not so much.

Making Covid a partisan political issue was a disaster as well as Trump's election behavior. Regardless of any other successes or failures THAT will be Donald Trump's legacy as president. The man actively pushed lies on so many fronts because he just can't accept losing or being wrong. Most of us are old enough to know that is who he is/was long before he became president. His presidency should be a hard lesson for people that just because you don't trust the establishment doesn't mean you should trust someone just because they aren't part of it.

Public health should always be a bipartisan issue. You can get by your distrust of government these days easily on a health issue by taking a small bit of time to see what different health organizations around the world are saying. Their guidelines are usually generalized. Any time a politician tries to sell you on a specific brand that should be a red flag and yet for some reason THAT is what Trumper's bought into instead of the generally advised recommendations. Their behavior genuinely confuses me. I think they themselves are confused.

Comment

• The thing about expecting the truth from the people in charge of the health is people are.assuming there is an irrefutable truth that everyone in the medical field and the government know and they are withholding it. We are in uncharted waters and things change.as more evidence comes in.

What someone in charge had said in April of 2020 might be wildly inaccurate after 12 more.months of evidence. What we do know is the vaccines have been effective, but there is no guarantee they will continue to be effective as the virus mutates. That's why it is imperative the globe gets the vaccines as quickly as possible.

Comment

• They may not always be right but I'd bet health professionals around the world have much better educated guesses than politicians.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
                      .I can still have great friendships and conversations with my conservative friends. Trump slaves? Not so much.
                      Trumpettes
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
                        His presidency should be a hard lesson for people that just because you don't trust the establishment doesn't mean you should trust someone just because they aren't part of it.
                        The stupid thing about it is that this clown was absolutely a part of "the establishment" to begin with. Trump had been palling around with presidents and senators for DECADES before he started entertaining running himself. Hell, the fucking Correspondent's Dinner where Barack Obama picked on him to the point his fragile ego compelled him to run for President... do the QAnon chumps think he crashed that party or something?

I see a similar, but more subdued, angle on the far left with the "BernieBros" who speak of Sen. Sanders like he's some political outsider. Dude's been a senator for over thirty goddamn years! You can't be more a part of "the establishment" without being one of the Founding Fathers.

Ya wanna bring down the system? I can respect that. But at the very least learn about and champion someone actually outside of the system, for chrissake.

Comment

• There's no doubt political blinders exist at every point of the political spectrum. There's no monopoly on that.

Comment

• If anyone is running for President - they have insider influence - or they wouldn't be running - because they wouldn't get any (and I mean ZERO) support without it.

They don't have 42 y/o school teachers running for President, or 45 y/o construction workers.
                            They have people who have money and prestige, who even if they aren't directly in politics deal with those politicians on a regular basis (i.e the Ross Perot's and Donald Trumps of the world).
                            Last edited by Fraquar; August 14, 2021, 01:15 AM.

Comment

• Carter was about the closest you could get to an outsider these days but he was still a governor. He was a fish out of water when he got to DC.

Bernie Sanders' schtick is actually the way to get things done. He talks about big change and tries to move public opinion, but as a legislator he works within the system to move bills. His campaign style was always going to be hard to win a presidential election.

Comment

• Extremists exist on both sides. But the far left/right seem to cater to the less educated. The problem was when Trump started winning over the Republican electorate and many more the wave couldn't be stopped by their higher ups. They didn't initially want Trump. But it has been made clear to them that he brang people who had never voted before to the party. Do what he says or you will never win another election.

I used to laugh when people said he would be done after the election.

As long as he lives, we will never stop hearing from or about him. That's just the truth. Some people truly idolize him to the point they say he was "anointed" by God. I don't know how they came to that conclusion... Maybe someone who thinks he is some kind of weird God can chime in and set the record straight.
                                Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X