Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hack View Post
    Exactly that. Media is stupid. TV is the most stupid. I've done enough of it. You hardly need to think at all. As a freelancer though, it's been some easy money at times. If you want to understand the news, turn off the TV and read the higher-quality media.

Sure, that's fine, but you quoted my Trump line to crashcourse.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
      De nada.

One of the article's points, that multiple 24/7 cable news shows and the internet sites skew our visceral feel for how common these things are. It's the age we live in and I and others have made the same point before. It's amazing how connected we are and how much repetition we are subjected to. For example, on my ipad today alone, I have read the WSJ, the NYT, WP, The New Yorker, and browsed NPR, this forum, Eater, Mensa Research Journal, and HotMILFSinHeat.xxx. 20 years ago, I would have read the local paper and the WSJ. Maybe some other hard copy of something but no where near what I go through now.
      Ya, that's a good point -- but, the media's tracking of these traumatic events is ultimately rooted in America's lack of traumatic resilience -- which is more or less reinforced by how our media covers these events.

Which, is semi ironic, considering I (and I think commonly) hear people say the media is pushing us towards becoming desensitized -- but, that should really be the goal -- and it is the opposite of what is taking place.

note: the goal is to develop national resilience -- responses to these events should be swift in protocol and barren in romanticism/glorification/martyrdom creation.

Israel's markets and bazaars pick back up same day. There is little glory for a guy willing to kill himself, only to have some grandmother picking tomatoes where his corpse was cleaned four hours earlier. I wouldn't tie this example directly to "get these kids back into class", but that is a mindset we aren't even close to and we pay for it everytime.

We suck the narratives out of everything.

Comment

• See what happens when you have to much exposure to TV news? Don't make the mistakes I've made, dude.

Comment

• When the Post and the Times reported Trump was shaking up his legal team, the White House angrily denied it. #FAKENEWS. A week later, the legal team was shaken up.

When the Post and the Times reported that McMaster was on his way out, the White House angrily denied it. #FAKENEWS. A week later, McMaster is gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
            Shitshow? Major upgrades at NSA and State
            So bad.

McMaster was probably one of the last guys reining Trump's wilder ambitions in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              I just want to mention again that in 2005, when the Republicans controlled the Senate with a 55-44 majority, Bush could not get Bolton confirmed as UN representative. He had to appoint him during a recess. Bolton is THAT disliked and viewed as an aggressive warmonger.

EDIT: A bunch of Trumpists bash neocons in general. Bolton might represent the living embodiment of neo-con philosophy more than anyone alive

EDIT2: And being National Security Advisor is a far more powerful position than UN Rep

Comment

• Tillerson and McMaster gone, DiGenova and Bolton on-board. Almost no adults left at the White House Day Care. DiGenova is a delusional buffoon like Chump so at least he has some entertainment value but Bolton is a real danger. Its like putting John Wayne Gacy in charge of Boys Town. Innocents are going to be fooked and people will probably die because now we have a raving demagogue whispering into the ear our our very stable genius.
                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• PVSG.

Comment

• Well, the stock market managed the largest drop in the history of causative presidential announcements (China Tarrifs)...... and poised for another 200 point drop at the open today.

There was a great piece on the 10p version of The PBS News Hour on the China Tarrifs. Basically the commentator, William Brangham, president and founder of the Eurasia Group, as well as global research professor at New York University said, the tariffs could be effective if there was multinational support for them. The US as a lone wolf actor is going to fuck itself.

Bolton? China Tariffs? ...... we are royally fucked.

The U.S. has a $375 billion trade gap with China. Will President Trump’s tariffs targeted at China have their desired effect? William Brangham talks with Ian Bremmer, president and founder of the Eurasia Group, about the way U.S. should approach Trump’s trade policy strategically.
                    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; March 23, 2018, 08:34 AM.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yeah, I don't think a 2.93% drop is the largest in history. Or even close.

The tariffs remain ass stupid, but as with most things PDJT, I'll wait to see how the go about implementing them.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• He's talking about largest point drop in early February

Comment

• Alright. Then that point drop doesn't register in the top 20 drops in history by the only meaningful measure.

And, as I recall, he (and others) were on here pontificating doom.

Comment

• I think the commentator from the PBS News Hour interview I was quoting stated it was the largest drop in history following/associated with a presidential action. Not the largest drop in history.

Regardless, it was a big drop with another 200 point drop predicted at the open today. That's a lot on Trump's China tariff announcement.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yeah, that's what I thought -- you WERE talking YESTERDAY, not February.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                                PVSG.
                                that's PGEVSGOTUS

Comment

Working...
                                X