Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash,

Get your head out of the Sears Junior Miss underwear section. We're talking comedies.

In short: all Mel Brooks (and Albert Brooks for that matter) movies suck. Forget outlawing guns. Outlaw Mel Brooks.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Keep in mind that AA cites among his favorite "comedies" (his term, not mine):

Ishtar, Fletch, Look Who's Talking 2, Jingle All the Way, and the abominable Martin Short/Charles Grodin vehicle, Clifford.

Martin Short need but cross his eyes and smirk and a veritable spray of Golden Flake potato chips, vienna sausages, and Jameson coats a repulsive mist in AA's man-cave with every guffaw.

The man argued in his dissertation that Police Academy 6: City Under Siege restored dignity to the franchise after the lackluster Assignment Miami Beach, a shallow effort designed to cash in on the Miami Vice craze and distract from megastar Steve Guttenberg no longer being associated with the series. This was enough to earn a medical degree from the Gadsden Night School of Mechnical Arts as mere literacy placed him atop the student body.

Comment

• How dare you besmirch Fletch by association.

Comment

• The only one of those I have seen is Fletch. And it's okay. Just okay.

Another comedy that hasn't held up is Caddyshack.

(Also, decent sass for a faux-Ivian)
          Last edited by AlabamAlum; April 2, 2018, 06:48 PM.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            The only one of those I have seen is Fletch. And it's okay. Just okay.

Another comedy that hadn't held up is Caddyshack.
            Yeah, as much as I liked Caddyshack, and really still do in a sense, I find that I can't watch it when it comes on.

I think that Young Frankenstein and History of the World have held up well. I never thought Space Balls was as good, although there are a few quote worthy bits.

If you haven't seen it, give Bubba Ho-Tep a watch. Bruce Campbell and Ozzie Davis are gold in it.

Based on the Bram Stoker Award nominee short story by cult author Joe R. Lansdale, Bubba Ho-tep tells the "true" story of what really did become of Elvis Presley. We find Elvis (Bruce Campbell) as an elderly resident in an East Texas rest home, who switched identities with an Elvis impersonator years before his "death", then missed his chance to switch back. Elvis teams up with Jack (Ossie Davis), a fellow nursing home resident who thinks that he is actually President John F. Kennedy, and the two valiant old codgers sally forth to battle an evil Egyptian entity who has chosen their long-term care facility as his happy hunting grounds.
            Last edited by CGVT; April 2, 2018, 06:54 PM.
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Dying is easy; comedy is hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                Dying is easy; comedy is hard.
                In that case, take the easy way, DSL.

Comment

Spoken like someone who finds Fletch "pretty okay"

Comment

• Trump plots War on Amazon...mainly as a way to get to Bezos, who he's grown to despise, while also helping his real estate buddies who lost money investing in big brick & mortar J. C. Penny's and Aeropostale stores

EDIT: It's briefly mentioned in the article, but Amazon is also under contract by the Pentagon to provide all of its cloud-computing. Trump may threaten them with taking that away, which I'm sure the Pentagon is thrilled to hear. Trump is fine with weakening national security because a newspaper says mean things about him and his golfing partners in South Florida don't like how Amazon is taking business from shitty malls they developed back in the 80's.
                    Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; April 2, 2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Exactly
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Seconded.
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I think I might miss Dr. Strangelove. And, TBH, I'd rather see him endure living misery. Hopefully sire, or more accurately, have a wife that births 6 or 7 harpies. Maybe get stuck going to Laramie for weekends for work. Have all joints replaced. And, of course, root for some mid-tier football program like Marshall or something.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I really really hate you.
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Talent's boy Pruitt on increasingly thin ice. Now he gave two aides he brought from Oklahoma $25,000-$50,000 raises, even after the White House explicitly told him not to

The embattled EPA chief used an obscure provision last month to increase the salaries of a pair of staffers by tens of thousands of dollars.

Comment

• I'm shocked the #ProgGentry press is going after Pruitt. Thankfully, he'll keep doing the lord's work.

But, to be clear, my "boy" is Mick Mulvaney. Anyone who gets Pocohantas so worked up all the while laying bare the idiocy of her legislation -- well, that dude is Kool and the Gang in my book!
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X