Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Correct. Of course, some of us endure winter with a trainer, HR monitor and music.

Yeah, people who "count" indoor miles on Strava and the like -- no. For where I ride, if I go west I usually have to deal with a crushing wind which has to be experienced. And no matter what you do indoors, there's no way to prepare for 13-15% other than being on 13-15%.

Correct. And contrary to Buchanan's assertions, it's not hugely dangerous. But more importantly, Bend is a nice place to ride!
    Ya, I'd argue nothing bridges winter months like an HR monitor. No guessing, no bargaining, no feigning improvement in lieu of convenient days off. There isn't an easier choice that is still cost effective to tell you exactly where you are.

TBF, indoor trainers are brutal in their own right. I agree that climbing on the bike is usually the weakness for which people would exclusively opt for indoor trainers, but each year the price for smart trainers become more palatable and their tech/capacity way more impressive. I was born to climb, but still indoor quite a bit during the winter when I can't make it to Bachelor to ski.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

Yeah, that chapter is closed. One of the spin instructors I ride with had me checking out buying a bike and riding with her group in Atlanta. My wife told me I was crazy. About a week after I had decided on a starter bike that cost just under $1000, she reported a friend of hers just starting out had been hit by a car. She was riding alone - a no-no actually - but still. She was not seriously injured just some scrapes and bruises and a swollen knee. That was it for me. I regained my senses. I'd love to do it because I still like to compete. But, no.
      Ya, I think there are certainly placed where outdoor riding isn't super conducive -- and it can be pretty cost prohibitive. Definitely a sport where you can always spend more money -- and gobs of it, at that. Friend of mind framed it best: There is a company that produces two things -- a specific part for NASA space craft and Bicycle forks.

Sucks to hear about her crash and it is really common -- we had a cyclist killed in Bend, I think last year, but driver clearly at fault/under the influence. You are in GA? I spent 6-7 months there at Benning. I had the solution to your problem: Grind out all the tank trails during the weekends. Long untouched pavement -- cause there are few things as vacant as training areas during weekends on an active duty post. Don't they have pretty big/coordinated bike races down there?

All that being said, moving great distance on bike feels pretty good. I've knocked out some foot races from 5k to 40 mile, been able to compete for the military on skis from Kincaid Park, AK to Ethan Allen, VT and everywhere notable between (sans Yellowstone), but probably the most fun/terror I had was a solo tour from OR to AZ via 365. Absolutely grinded the Sierra Nevadas in August and obliterated every pizza/pub at rest.

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• ...who asked ya?
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Ya, power meters are great.

But, much larger commitment to the bike than just rolling out an HRM.

Comment

• I love winter , kills the germs.

Comment

• ...too bad it doesn't kill you...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                  To me that means almost over, I can handle a bad storm or two. I politic all the time move to Florida but I won't be able to seal the deal. My wife is not a fan, although she is open to moving to New Orleans or Ireland.
                  Palm springs. Best weather in the country 9 months outta the year, cheap and beautiful.

Comment

• Moving to California would be an even harder sell, bottom line is I'm anchored to Michigan for a lot longer.

Comment

• Michigan is perfect. Who wants that damn sun out all the time?

Comment

• Though these things 539787-istock-183834424_1.jpg?itok=RXRYDXp2&resize=1100x1100.jpg are everywhere

Comment

• Palm Springs is spectacular. But I'm not sure it has great weather 9 months out of the year. We were there in March and it was already smoking hot. I imagine it's broiling from about April through September. But, if I could winter there I sure as shit would.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I took the Coast trip on the Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1) all the way from Reno To Sacramento all the way down to Tijuana. In the back of a pickup truck when I was 20 years old one year, I wasn't impressed. If I can ever wrap up this early retirement - I would like to go up to millinwasmyfavorite area, and up to Vancouver .

Comment

• We were hoping you would choose Siberia...
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• If he crosses into Vancouver, I could help make sure he stays there. But it's going to cost you.

Comment

Working...
                                X