Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yes, BUT HE WANTED TO!!!!!
    If only he had the authority and power to do it.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• lol, she's nutz.

t2tH3LahpN4RFI_GdS99cI-k_1shzMBU87XjsMqYguI.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=6b8cef1809a36ab29025ae8c38d2eb5fffcbcd89.jpg

Comment

• SAD!

ahwfsv47xkv21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=75dfde02d38175be7c57b7c4f51a782708489163.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

And I agree with this. Politically, it would have been fucking catastrophic to fire Mueller. Criminally, I think it's entirely fine.

I think firing Comey was not only completely and totally "legal" -- but justified.

It's hard for me to imagine persons with authority properly exercising that authority and still being guilty of obstruction. I think, e.g., the DA in Chicago that gave Smollett a walk is in it up to her eyes politically, but she acted within the scope of her authority to discharge her duties as she saw fit. That's not obstruction. Decisions are made every day by folks in power about what investigations to pursue, how hard to pursue them and what to do with the results. I get that it becomes a bit of sticky wicket when the investigation involves the person with authority, but IMO until that authority is stripped I don't think there's anything to do. I mean, I find it ludicrous that while the Executive Branch ordered the investigation they literally had no power to do anything thereafter lest they be accused of obstruction.

I fundamentally agreed with your initial take -- that the report was a more a revelation of the inner workings of the White House and PDJT's own shortcomings than anything else. It wasn't particularly surprising, but it added to the body of evidence.
          To what extent are you willing to take that?

Suppose tomorrow Trump fires every person holding a politically-appointed position at SDNY. The US Attorney, the Deputies, everyone. He tells the people he chooses as replacements that he wants all investigations into anything Trump-related shut down immediately.

He has a 100% legal right to do so. It'd be a disaster politically but he's 100% within his legal rights.

At some (I think) there has to be a line where it no longer matters that you're within your legal rights, you're abusing your authority and the political process of impeachment needs to be on the table. Does this Mueller stuff rise to that? I mean...probably not. But it's not open-and-shut. Not in my opinion. Either way, the public has a genuine right to know how its President conducts himself behind closed doors, even if everyone's opinion has 100% calcified, as we all sort of agree it has.

Comment

• the political process of impeachment needs to be on the table.
            Sure.

Either way, the public has a genuine right to know how its President conducts himself behind closed doors
            Firmly disagree. The example you cited is public. The potentially damaging behavior in this case would have been public. As far as I'm concerned, the President can want to disband the SDNY US Attorney's office all he wants. He can make wishes on stars, throw lucky pennies into the fountain, write it in his diary, and do whatever else one can think of to illustrated WANT. However, when the rubber hits the road, he has the fucking power to turn want into action. And until he does then zero fucks given about his desires. ZERO.

Hey, I want to win the lottery. If I were given the power to make that happen I would prove that I want to win the lottery by making that happen. That's how want works.

To reiterate -- the alleged obstruction in this case was with respect to a crime that didn't exist and does not involve ACTUAL obstruction.

Last edited by iam416; May 1, 2019, 12:09 PM.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• Got it

Not same topic but did want to throw this out...Barr corrected himself after repeatedly claiming no one at FBI briefed the Trump campaign about Russia threats to infiltrate his campaign. Now concedes there was in fact a "lesser kind" of briefing.

Comment

• I know you hate her, Talent, but Kamala Harris got Barr to freeze up with her first question

"Has the President asked you to open a federal investigation into anyone?"

Barr just sat there in silence trying to think of how to word his response before, after about 10 seconds, she said "A simple yes or no, sir?". He then asked her to repeat the question, either a stall for time or he wanted to know exactly how she had worded the question. So it's pretty plain to me that Barr was looking for an artful way to deny it and that yes, in all likelihood he has personally asked Barr to investigate one or more people.

Harris is no pure bumbling dope like Booker or a hack like Hirono.
                Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; May 1, 2019, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Sorry, "asked or suggested". Barr said he was 'grappling' with the meaning of the word 'suggest'. When you won't answer a question directly but instead say the word 'suggest' is hard to define and understand, the answer you're trying to avoid giving is 'yes". Haha

Comment

• yeah if any one should be removed immediately from any law making process in the senate it would be hirono

wonder who the pres wanted to investigate

bet it starts with a Hillary and ends with an obama

if true he weaponizing intelligence

btw Columbus jackets looked good last night --see what happens

Comment

• Here you go. Full exchange between Harris and Barr, but it's at the beginning where Harris kinda nails him and he's clearly avoiding a direct answer. One of the few times I thought Barr stumbled today.

Comment

• what's wrong with asked? or suggested... I believe the damaging question to get an answer on is "has Trump ordered you to investigate anyone"

asked vs ordered are miles apart. I'm sure he can ask all he wants

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• DSL...you are one dumb mother fucker...
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Smart enough to go back to Danny's 3 or 4 times for the classic couple. Pastrami was exquisite today

Comment

• While I think the legalities being discussed here are interesting here's the bottom line for me:

Trump did not collude with the Russians to gain an election advantage. Slam dunk, he didn't. I think everyone here is in agreement with this.

Trump didn't obstruct because, well, that's been adequately explained.

The D's are going to get in trouble with voters for pursuing investigations that involve obstruction. Waste of time. Get back to legislating.

I dislike PDJT. I think he is an ass-clown. However, I am supportive of most of his policies as I have stated previously. The point being disliking him, as has been stated by numerous reasonable observers, is not grounds for investigating the shit out of him in matters pertaining to the Mueller report or impeachment.

Having said that, I think Trump is in a world of hurt regarding his business dealings becasue of this (from WAPO and a bunch of other sources) among other things going on in NY:

Anything illegal going on here that might amount to "High Crimes and Misdemeanors?" Fuck if I know, I'm not a constitutional legal authority. Furthermore, what will probably happen after lengthy delays is that the Ds will fall all over themselves to make this a big deal leading up to the election in 2020 regardless of what comes of this ..... and expect a lot of ambiguity in what does come out of it.

Trump is going to be in more legal trouble if he loses the election in 2020 than if he wins. That's because of the probes going in the state of NY, esp. the Deutsche Bank stuff. Aside from that, he's already in political trouble and the Dems will try to capitalize. The net result will be distraction from important matters that the President has to and wants to deal with. You know the list...... and yes, DSL,I'm fine with Trumps conduct, the sleazy human being he actually is, when the importance of matters of state is taken into account. I could have cared less about Bill getting blow-jobs from Monica or any untoward business dealings the Clintons had. I wanted him to lead and, for all intent and purpose, he did despite the Rs going after him at every turn. You want to talk about "Obstruction" in it's purest form what went on with Bill Clinton and is going on with Donald Trump is the Congress, thinking it is acting int he best interests of the American public, is patently guilty of obstructing the President in carrying out his duties. Politics and what goes on in Washington is dirty business but that it does go on, and Trump is a shit, shouldn't shock anyone - the Republic has continued to exist - flourish actually - for centuries despite this reality.

Two things: Trump has important work to do, the D's need to get off their high horse and let him do it. Trump needs to STFU. BTW neither of these things has a fucking chance to happen but I just had to say it.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X