No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a decent article on the vitriol among NATO alliance leaders reported yesterday. Basically, a lot of bluster precipitated by Trump's typical act, the reality being that the Europeans are ponying up and the focus of the threat to the alliance is shifting to China with renewed interest in the Turkey/Russia alliance in the ME. Erdogan has already rolled Trump but, I think what the US gave up in Syria to the Turks was a reasonable trade-off to lessen US involvement in that shit-hole. Now Erdogan wants to roll NATO allies by having them declare his political enemies - namely the legitimate groups that oppose him - terrorists. Not gonna happen.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      I can only assume they'll be located at the beacon of 1950's Eastern Bloc architecture in Ithaca. It's hard not have to have a smile on one's face when gazing upon metric tons of vertical concrete and the gorgeous brown fetid waters of Cayuga. The Grove City of the Upstate!
      A salute to one of Cornell's finest

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
        China is mitigating US authored UN sanctions against NK to a significant level. What will NoKo's "Christmas present" be? Is this really Chinese pressure in trade talks?

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...75452381/?sl=1
        Good article ..........

"It's ideal to expand the U.S.-North Korea bilateral meeting into a four-party talk between the two Koreas, the U.S. and China," he (Cheong) said

The Chinese are masters of speaking through various political mouth pieces masquerading as academic institutes. Cheong, a S. Korean, is probably such a person. Jon, I think you are absolutely correct about China's excellent work here. Any settlements involving relationships between N and S Korea and the US have to involve China. The Chicoms will not allow Un to fall or NK to fail. For decades NK has been a strategic buffer zone against foreign imperialist aggression. There's no public indication that there is linkage between bilateral negotiation on the Korean Peninsula and US-China Trade talks but I would not doubt it's in the back ground.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• My guess is that Sochi modeled its Olympic village after Cornell. Too much overlap to just be happenstance. I also have a hunch that suburban Pyongyang has also done that, but I don't have enough visual evidence to confirm.

The point, though, is that Cornell offers on-line classes and is thus illegitimate in every conceivable way.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Cornell, as I have said many times before, is obviously mid-60's East German architecture. I believe the Library is named the Comrade Ulbricht Peoples Library and Indoctrination Centre.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The Pol Pot Statue on Trotsky Square is where we typically celebrate May Day

Comment

• Cornell, as I have said many times before, is obviously mid-60's East German architecture. I believe the Library is named the Comrade Ulbricht Peoples Library and Indoctrination Centre.
                My knowledge of Soviet bloc architecture is outstanding but, I fear, not as comprehensive as our resident Peat Eater. So, I demur in that regard.

However, I can say with certainty that Cornell has adopted the inverse of the legendary DDR slogan -- "East Germany, where the men are men and so are the women." Of course, in Ithaca, it's "Cornell, where the women are women and so are the men." Tread lightly with your pronouns lest you find yourself in a cinder block room right quick -- and not the cinder block room you normally live in, either!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  The Pol Pot Statue on Trotsky Square is where we typically celebrate May Day

While Shostakovich plays in the background.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Speaking of colleges made me track down this article I forgot to post yesterday. Talking about how colleges are going bust at record levels (mainly smaller, liberal arts schools). Moody's believes about 20% of small private schools are in dire straits.

Also has a focus on Hiram College here in Ohio and its attempts to reinvent itself as "career-oriented". So gone are the religion, art, and music majors...and replacing them are things like criminal justice and sports management.

Not to belittle people in those programs but, maybe we should also ask ourselves why a 4-year degree is considered necessary for a career in criminal justice or sports management.

Comment

• Not to belittle people in those programs but, maybe we should also ask ourselves why a 4-year degree is considered necessary for a career in criminal justice or sports management.
                      We absolutely should ask those questions. We absolutely should ask what is the requisite amount of education for any degree. The idea that it takes 3 fucking years of Law School to sit for the bar is ludicrous. On an undergraduate level, there ought to be a debate on the value of a liberal arts education -- i.e., the various requirements outside your major that probably add up to over a year's tuition.

Comment

• Right and I'm looking at it from the side of a business as well. I see tons of entry-level jobs advertised requiring a 4-year degree. My reaction is often: WHY?? And I'm not trying to put down any of those professions. I'll be the first to admit that a college degree is in no way necessary to do my OWN job; you just need good reading skills, deductive abilities, and a bit of training. Particularly in a time where the labor market is supposedly tight and employers can't fill positions, yet they're still making it known that mere HS graduates need not apply for menial positions.

I think a lot of it just has to do with employers not being willing to train people anymore and they think that by hiring college grads they're bringing in someone that is already 'trained" so to speak.

Comment

• I think a lot of it just has to do with employers not being willing to train people anymore and they think that by hiring college grads they're bringing in someone that is already 'trained" so to speak.
                          As far as I can tell from my discussions with 2-years, there is an increased demand for specific training programs. Companies are increasingly interested in paying schools to develop students for their specific needs. The company saves training costs. The student gets a job. The college gets tuition + cash from the sponsor. Right now it only makes sense for larger companies, but schools are looking for ways to make it cost-effective for anyone and are constantly talking with business partners (employers) to figure out needs.

But, yes.

Comment

• Sadly we must now to return to our one and only true topic...TRUMP!!

President Deals calls Trudeau "two-faced", cancels the press conference he was supposed to have this afternoon, now plans to leave NATO summit early. SAD!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                              Sadly we must now to return to our one and only true topic...TRUMP!!

President Deals calls Trudeau "two-faced", cancels the press conference he was supposed to have this afternoon, now plans to leave NATO summit early. SAD!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9232496.html
                              It wasn't going to end any other way. The dude is a baby.

Comment

• Pity those poor people on the plane

Comment

Working...
                                X