No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even if you had unlimited testing with 4 hour turnaround times you are not going to get accurate rates on who has the virus.
    You need about 250M tests and to run every motherfucker through. So, yeah...

Well, heh, yeah. Of course. "When" seems to be the question.

Yeah. My mom is 70 and has a weakened immune system + years of taking arthritis meds. If she gets it, her immune system isn't stopping it in the upper respiratory tract. It's going to the lungs. Her best hope at that point is to be one of the first to get it. If she's waiting in line, welp. So, she's shuttered up pretty tight at this point. It's very real for her.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The restaraunt thing is balancing act. The reality is that you can't shutdow all restaraunts without seriously distrupting food supply. Grocers simply can't fill that void. So, they need to allow for carry out and delivery.

As an aside, our grocery story is sort of returning to sanity. There was some bread there this morning (I needed coffee filters). And they're capping toilet paper purchase. There was actually some on the shelves. I hope that's a sign that we're past the first huge shock and sort of settling into what will sure to be at least our next 8 weeks of existence.

Comment

• The total deaths (and cases in "critical condition") in Germany, South Korea and even the US are encouraging. They suggest that the Italian or Chinese rates aren't a foregone conclusion. 2% is a big difference from the high 3s. Granted, it still has to run its course in Germany and the US.

Comment

• Not nearly as important or interesting as today's heath issues, but is strongly considering a pardon for another of his co-conspirators.

Flynn is locked in a court battle to try and overturn his 2017 guilty plea for lying to the FBI over contacts with the former Russian ambassador.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• AA,, my son is a dentist at the VA in Ann Arbor. We've been talking along with my oldest daughter who is an NP working in obstetrics and GYN in Willmington NC, and my youngest daughter who is an OT working in New Bern, NC about hospital responses.

Sean tells me the VA announced this morning that all "elective" procedures are to be cancelled - he notes as a dentist, all dentistry is elective so, he's struggling with this a bit. He also notes that guidance has been issued VA wide on protecting health care workers within the VA - very strict, very clear. Veterans who are essentially "residing" for lack of a better term, in the VA hospital are being sent home to clear hospital space in anticipation of the need. Erin, the NP in Wilmington, NC is telling me the hospital are slow to adapt to guidance but getting there; She's in the clinic this morning handling scheduled patients but they are only doing bare-bone USs. Her patients are mad they aren't getting their 3D U/Ss .... she thinks the public in and around Wilmington are poorly informed as to the seriousness of the situation.

My daughter, the OT in New Bern NC, was at school this morning (students are dismissed for 2w) to receive guidance on how to conduct virtual class-room training - a program developed by her county's school district after Hurricane Florence. Her problem? All her students are special needs! The county apparently didn't think that one through! She's anxious being away from her two kids who are with gramma and grandpa (her husband's parents). Day care is open but she's taking no risks.

Finally my Swiss residing daughter in Lausanne is working from home along with her husband. Day care is open but Enzo is home and they are fine with that. She thinks Swiss authorities are holding off on wide spread testing to keep the numbers down so as to protect their pristine Swiss image and, probably to keep providers, hospitals and clinics from being unnecessarily overwhelmed. She thinks the numbers are way too low and that approach is compromising good public health care that is readily available and very good in Switzerland,
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Well, it's gonna be herd immunity or science that resolves this. That's gonna be awhile.

Comment

• The hospital system my wife works for cancelled all elective procedures. They also nearly eliminated all visitors.

I'm kind of with Jeff on the optimism because we have seen it other places. The US got a late start and has a truly dysfunctional leadership command at the White House but the patchwork local responses will help. The Seattle hotspot is going to get a lot worse as is New York but some other regions are getting the earlier start on preparations for the hospitals that they didn't. DeWine, Pritzer and Whitmer has been very aggressive.

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Cases in NYC go from 329 to 463 in less than 24 hours...

EDIT: Should also note that as for now it's only 7 deaths out of 950 cases, but close to 20% have required hospitalization.
                      Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; March 16, 2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• I'm still seeing dumbasses posting on social media that this is all a hoax created by the Democrats to bring Trump down, or denying that he ever said that. Jesus. You just can't fix stupid.
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Social media is the Skynet of our society

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            The restaraunt thing is balancing act. The reality is that you can't shutdow all restaraunts without seriously distrupting food supply. Grocers simply can't fill that void. So, they need to allow for carry out and delivery.

As an aside, our grocery story is sort of returning to sanity. There was some bread there this morning (I needed coffee filters). And they're capping toilet paper purchase. There was actually some on the shelves. I hope that's a sign that we're past the first huge shock and sort of settling into what will sure to be at least our next 8 weeks of existence.
                            One of our favorite restaurants had a pro-active idea. Since there is a ban on inside dining, they are turning their restaurant (Coney Island, for you non-Michiganders) into a drive in restaurant. Basically, its a flip back to the 50's where you pull into the parking lot, and their waitstaff comes out and takes your order, then they bring it to your car. They also have a drive-up window. The owner said he didn't want to lay off all of his staff, and this is how he's addressing it.

I also like the idea that the big box stores are now closing for a few hours at night, so they can restock their shelves. This way they can actually re-stock without people standing there, grabbing items as soon as they bring them in from the loading dock.

In Michigan, Governor Whitmer has also instructed the State Police to not enforce seasonal road weight restrictions for trucks, at least temporarily. This is actually a good move, because it means loading dock personnel can load the trucks, hand the paperwork to the driver, and let them leave. They don't have to pay attention to trailer weights. Its especially crucial when carrying bottled water, because I believe one gallon of water equals 7 pounds. With the weight restrictions removed, trucks can carry more.

In my only political statement of the day, I'd like to say that I think Gov. Whitmer is doing a pretty decent job. She seems to be getting good information from knowledgeable people, and acting accordingly. I'm hoping that the more out front the states are, the more the 'curve' can be flattened. Whitmer seems to be doing quite well at this.

My older brother is really taking this hard. His wife is 4th stage Alzheimers, and he's battling depression. I'm not doing all that great myself, but I figure if I just hunker down, I can at least keep the 'social distancing' part of this thing in order.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Pennsylvania has ordered all "non-essential businesses" to close. Sounds like New jersey did the same

Ohio's postponing the primary to June 2. Kind of confused about the details.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X