No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Yep. It was written from the moment it left Wuhan. There was and is no stopping this, and whatever delay you can manage create is, at best, wildly insufficient. The math doesn't lie. The difference between 33% and 15% is significant, but in real time and, more importantly, in medical solution/capacity-building time, the difference is NOT significant. I was one screaming from rooftops about capacity because I felt the massive outbreak was inevitable and that "flattening the curve" would prove largely ineffectual. But, I didn't appreciate the math and how quickly the tidal wave would hit. We probably needed to start in January, but no Western politician was taking this seriously. Well, except maybe Tom Cotton.

The cake was baked. As I said, we may have been able to frost it differently, but it was baked. As you said, our only real options were rearranging deck chairs on the Titantic. It's all going to come due in the next 8-10 weeks. By the end of May any area with 1000 cases today will be pushing 1M. By the end of May the US will be pushing 100M cases. The only unanswered question is the "real" mortality rates, but they're high enough that it's going to leave a gigantic mark on the world.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope you're not in the 15-20% that need hospitalization and hope to fucking christ you're not in the 5-8% that need ICU/ventilator help.
      Last edited by iam416; March 29, 2020, 09:01 AM.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Sweden, for some reason, isn't closed down. Apparently Sweden is following the SEC lead.

Comment

• Read a first hand from an ER Doc in NOLO. Said that 70% of those put on ventilators died. Not sure how factual that is, but if true, it is scary as hell
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            Sweden, for some reason, isn't closed down. Apparently Sweden is following the SEC lead.
            Brazil's lunatic President is trying to stop regional governors and mayors from closing anything as well.

Mexico was one of the few holdouts and last night they announced a national stay-at-home to last a month.

Comment

• I really think it's mostly for naught. We're strapped in and about halfway up the first hill on the Millenium Force. There's no getting off this ride.

Comment

• I completely missed this but last weekend Woody Widenhofer died (non from CV19). Played on Dan Devine's really good Missouri teams. Coached the Steel Curtain. Had stints with the Lions and Browns too. An inglorious head coaching career.

Comment

• From the coronavirus act now website....worst case shelter in place....dates the hospitals get overloaded. This is as of 3/27...site gets updated every 4 days.

April

8 New York, New Jersey
                  12 Washington
                  16 Louisiana
                  19 Michigan
                  20 Conn., Illinois
                  23 Vermont, Idaho, Nevada (act by 4/9-14)
                  24 Maine (needs to act by 4/10-15), Penn. (act by 4/10-15), Maryland (act by 4/10-15), Wisconsin, Mississippi (act by 4/10-15), Colorado, Utah (act by 4/10-15), Oregon, California
                  27 Alabama (act by 4/13-18), Missouri (act by 4/13-18), New Mexico
                  28 Massachuetts, Rhode Island (act by 4/14-19), Delaware, Ohio, South Carolina (act by 4/14-19)

May

1 New Hampshire, Florida (act by 4/17-22), Oklahoma <minimal restrictions> (act by 4/1-6)
                  2 Virginia (act by 4/18-23), Iowa (act by 4/18-23), Texas (act by 4/18-23), Wyoming (act by 4/18-23)
                  5 Arkansas (act by 4/21-26), Arizona (act by 4/21-26)
                  6 Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee (act by 4/22-27), Kansas, South Dakota<minimal restrictions> (act by 4/5-10)
                  9 Minnesota, North Dakota (act by 4/25-30)
                  10 Indiana, Nebraska (act by 4/26-5/1), Montana, Alaska, Hawaii
                  23 Georgia (act by by 4/9-14)
                  29 West Virginia

Estimated deaths: 4.953 million (worst case with shelter in place states)
                  2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Last edited by AlabamAlum; March 29, 2020, 10:32 AM.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Talent -- I found an article that I'm sure you'll like...

From the bubonic plague at the end of the nineteenth century to HIV/AIDS in the 1990s to SARS in 2002–3, China’s ability to contain diseases has been crucial to internal and external perceptions of the state.

Comment

• The WHO will have to answer for their China cocksuckery. They once again prove why the US should have absolutely zero fucking faith in international institutions.

Comment

• Gotta give Trump credit for actually listening (finally) to someone a hell of a lot smarter than he is. But reading between the lines, it seems that Dr Fauci has resigned himself to trying to manage an unmanageable infection. Not much hope to mitigate an AA or Talent scenario.

Dr. Anthony Fauci said Sunday that President Donald Trump decided not to impose a strict quarantine on parts of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut after officials had “very intensive discussions” at the White House with the President last night.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Coach Scott Frost expressed concern for the health of his football players...except for the receivers...Frost noted "they can't catch anything".

Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I bet flyover country is looking pretty good to a lot of big city folk about right now...
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Gotta give Trump credit for actually listening (finally) to someone a hell of a lot smarter than he is. But reading between the lines, it seems that Dr Fauci has resigned himself to trying to manage an unmanageable infection. Not much hope to mitigate an AA or Talent scenario.
                                It'll be interesting to see how this plays out globally, but I don't think anyone is getting out from under this tidal wave. It's inevitable. My best hope is that infections are significantly underreported and, thus, mortality rates are significantly lower. I'd be stunned -- I mean, floored -- if the CFR was any lower than 1%. And, as AA noted, with a 30% infection rate and even just a 1% CFR, you're looking at 0.3% of the population dying. When you're talking 7.75B, that's a lot. That's 40M. And I expect it to be 40-50M --and I expect that number to be hit by this summer.

Comment

Working...
                                X