No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife's daughter works for a company in Suwanee, GA that offers events inside a large venue. She is the sales manager and event planner. The company is going to open the venue that has a bar, food service, bowling lanes and a bunch of games tomorrow at 10am. The place is huge. A couple of things in their planning to re-open:

They can operate at 50% capacity but not greater than 5 people per 500 sq. ft. which equates to about 100 people - the place is huge, you would barely notice 100 people in it. Social distancing is required for table seating, playing games or bowling. The maximum size of a group at one table is 5. Counts occur as you enter the main facility. Once maximum is reached, as 4 people leave, for example, 4 more can come in.

For food service - pizza is their main item off a restricted menu - wait staff have to determine if the table being served is a family unit living under one roof or if they are friends gathering for a meal. The circumstance affects how the pizza is served. If a family unit, the whole pizza can be brought to the table and it becomes self serve. If not a family unit, the pizza has to be cut into slices and each slice hand delivered to individual diners.

The bar is open but you can't sit or stand at the bar to consume a beverage. Have to take the beverage to the seating area - some of it outside, some inside.

Now the kicker. Laid off employees are being called to return to work. Many of them "feel uncomfortable" returning. The real reason is that they are making about 25% more than they earn in salary and tips taking unemployment. I did not know this though. If an employer offers the laid off employee a return to work, an employee who refuses will lose the UIB. If the employer cannot provide compensation equal to the total UIB being received by the laid off employee, the difference can be claimed as UIBs ..... they have to reapply.

What's happening is a laid off employee is considered Tier 1 - i.e., they get offered to return first. If the employee refuses to return, they can be legally terminated and move on to Tier 2 - a new hire and their are plenty of candidates.

IOW, reopening is no picnic but rather a pain-the-ass with the likelihood of expense of operation to exceed income. The upside, however, is that opening, as long as it goes fairly well, feeds consumer confidence and instills interest in the brand. Over time, that will count.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
      It even says deceased after her name.
      Cash them in Chicago...if dead people can vote there I'm sure cashing a check will be a breeze...
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• ...... also and on a serious note, if she died within the IRS's period of time they consider the estate to still be payable (not sure what that is but it's treated as a tax refund) this could be payable to her estate and negotiated by the executor.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• So the MI legislature starts burning their own house down.

There were armed protests at Lansing today. One person was arrested for hitting a reporter's head with a gun. There were signs saying...Tyrants get the rope. Some armed protesters open carried and watched lawmakers as they did thei

"This kind of activity will put more people at risk, and it could mean that more people will die," said a spokesperson for Governor Whitmer Thursday.

Yesterday, some people were forcibly removed from watching the House (it was closed off to the public today to give space for members and the press)

"Hey, that's not necessary, you guys," one of the demonstrators with Michigan United for Liberty can be heard saying as her friend is dragged away.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Today, the MI house voted to sue Whitmer over her emergency declaration. The GOP legislature is saying by letting the emergency declaration expire so do all her executive order, so everything is open now. The MI House authorized Speaker of the House Chatfield to spend money to sue Whitmer. This went down straight party lines.

Michigan Court of Claims Judge Christopher Murray (an Gov. John Engler appointee) refused to block Whitmer's stay at home order. This was a prelim ruling.

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Depends if people are social distancing or not.

Comment

• I've changed my minds on beaches and are more aligned with you guys on that. If you can walk in a park you can walk on the beach. Early views on that were shaped by the Spring Breakers, fucking in the waves while a pandemic was going on.

It's very hard to know what the announced deaths any given day are really telling us. Some of those are people who died yesterday and others are people who died 3 weeks ago and their remains have only now been tested. Or their test results got backlogged and finally arrived. The rate of new deaths has unquestionably slowed but every day but one in the entire month of April added 1,000 deaths and the last 3 days had over 2,000 dead each.The initial projections of possibly a million dead aren't going to happen but the revised numbers, which dropped the death toll to 60,000-70,000 dead, look like they expected too much of a bell curve. According to Johns Hopkins we have just over 63,000 deaths.

Comment

Comment

Comment

• There were armed protests at Lansing today. One person was arrested for hitting a reporter's head with a gun. There were signs saying...Tyrants get the rope. Some armed protesters open carried and watched lawmakers as they did thei
                        Whitley you and I both know that you can get on Woodward Avenue anywhere before Pontiac, and drive south all the way to Cobo Hall, and you'll drive by several hundred people who are likely armed, and not all of them will be Trump supporters. In fact, very few of them would be Trump supporters.

People are armed all over the state. From Dundee to Copper Harbor. Most people don't advertise that they're armed, but they are.

I think the fact that the protesters were carrying arms is overplayed. I'd daresay that the vast majority of people there left their guns at home.

For the most part, the protests have been limited to people yelling, honking horns, and tying up traffic around the Capitol. They're also being a pain in the rear to Whitmer, but she's a big girl, and she can handle it.

Citizens have a constitutionally protected right to peacefully protest. Until that's nullified, I have no problem with it. I won't go anywhere NEAR the protest, but they have the right to do so, and nobody should impinge on that right. The press focusing on them 'being armed' is a way to negatively report what they are doing.

FWIW, I have no problem with the stay at home order lasting until May 15. In fact, my family and I will probably do it longer than that. But I understand why the protesters are upset, and some folks really want to get back to work.
                        Last edited by lineygoblue; April 30, 2020, 10:42 PM.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Wisconsin was also locked down on 3/24 too.

I don't know I still see people not wearing masks while shopping for groceries here (and keep in mind that Whitmer said if you are going indoors to HAVE to wear a mask). Then again I live in a county where the county sheriff said he was not going to enforce Whitmer's last executive order and now there are yard signs saying...Thank you Sheriff! Protecting Our Constitutional Rights!

Driving to Traverse City---saw a electronic sign (for a business) saying recall Whitmer!

There is a lot of stupid up here (one of my mom's friends from high school is making it a point to shake people's hands and hug them....saying he will not get a vaccine when one comes available). I hear a vocal minority clamoring to open everything up now.

I think one thing we are learning is that they a lot of people (and not saying anyone here) only care about themselves in this country.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

Whitley you and I both know that you can get on Woodward Avenue anywhere before Pontiac, and drive south all the way to Cobo Hall, and you'll drive by several hundred people who are likely armed, and not all of them will be Trump supporters. In fact, very few of them would be Trump supporters.

People are armed all over the state. From Dundee to Copper Harbor. Most people don't advertise that they're armed, but they are.

I think the fact that the protesters were carrying arms is overplayed. I'd daresay that the vast majority of people there left their guns at home.

For the most part, the protests have been limited to people yelling, honking horns, and tying up traffic around the Capitol. They're also being a pain in the rear to Whitmer, but she's a big girl, and she can handle it.

Citizens have a constitutionally protected right to peacefully protest. Until that's nullified, I have no problem with it. I won't go anywhere NEAR the protest, but they have the right to do so, and nobody should impinge on that right. The press focusing on them 'being armed' is a way to negatively report what they are doing.

FWIW, I have no problem with the stay at home order lasting until May 15. In fact, my family and I will probably do it longer than that. But I understand why the protesters are upset, and some folks really want to get back to work.
                            I have no problem with their protesting. But when I see something like this (taken from the twitter post of State Sen. Dayna Polehanki

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FEW3ZxHRU8AcnTko%3Fformat%3Djpg%26name%3Dsmall&hash=ebaf99480c77f97019bc6770fa6636ff.jpg

That is from the gallery. The Senator said people were yelling at them and that some of her peers that had bulletproof vests were wearing them.

I am not a huge fan of Whitmer (thought her inability to have a counter the legislature dragging ass on the budget. The auto insurance deal was awful too), but I think she has been about as good as possible during the covid 19 pandemic. I really don't get the play by the MI legislature--recent poll showed Michigan supporting Whitmer 71% on covid 19 (Trump was at 51%)--- unless it is too good for Daddy Trump. Do they really want to void all the executive orders and force things back to pre covid 19? Do they actually think they can make political hay here?

I just don't see how this is a good play on the politics side of it.

Comment

• Do they really want to void all the executive orders and force things back to pre covid 19? Do they actually think they can make political hay here? I just don't see how this is a good play on the politics side of it.
                              I agree that I don't understand the political side of dragging Whitmer into court at this point. Now, if she tries to extend the state of emergency until June 1st or later? Then, maybe the legislature should let her know that she doesn't have carte blanche to keep extending her emergency powers endlessly.

I know there are nutjobs of all extremes. The protesters could have left the armament at home, and still made a valid point. There are people whose jobs have been eliminated due to Whitmer's orders, and they want to go back to work. They don't understand why Walmart and Meijer employees can work, and even get overtime, and they face a couple thousand people per day, .. but a waitress or bartender can't serve beers and burgers to a table of 5-6 people. Not everybody likes sitting at home collecting unemployment. Some folks like their jobs, and want to get back to work.

Again, I have no problem with Whitmer's extension of the stay at home requirement until May 15. But after that, she needs to start relaxing things a bit. I think most folks have educated themselves on how to face this virus, and they will take the steps necessary to stay healthy. They don't need the government forcing them to do so.

Comment

• Here's a story about a barber right here where I live. In fact, he's cut (what's left of) my hair since about 1990. Karl Manke is a fantastic barber, and the only barber I've ever known that works "second shift". He usually opens at 2:00 pm, and stays open until 10:00 pm. He's been known to stay open later, if you call ahead of time, and tell him you're on the way. The other barbers around town don't like that, and have told him so, but he doesn't care. He just keeps cutting hair, and is the most popular barber in town.

Karl is going to reopen his shop on Monday. He will be defying the governor's order in doing so. It will be interesting to see if the local cops ticket him, because a lot of them go to him to have their hair cut. I guess we'll see.

Not only is Karl a fantastic barber, but he's also an accomplished author. He's written at least 6 books, and is working on another. I hope I'm as ambitious as he is when I'm 77.

The story was written by his brother Tom.

Comment

Working...
                                X