Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

I agree that I don't understand the political side of dragging Whitmer into court at this point. Now, if she tries to extend the state of emergency until June 1st or later? Then, maybe the legislature should let her know that she doesn't have carte blanche to keep extending her emergency powers endlessly.

I know there are nutjobs of all extremes. The protesters could have left the armament at home, and still made a valid point. There are people whose jobs have been eliminated due to Whitmer's orders, and they want to go back to work. They don't understand why Walmart and Meijer employees can work, and even get overtime, and they face a couple thousand people per day, .. but a waitress or bartender can't serve beers and burgers to a table of 5-6 people. Not everybody likes sitting at home collecting unemployment. Some folks like their jobs, and want to get back to work.

Again, I have no problem with Whitmer's extension of the stay at home requirement until May 15. But after that, she needs to start relaxing things a bit. I think most folks have educated themselves on how to face this virus, and they will take the steps necessary to stay healthy. They don't need the government forcing them to do so.
    Well she has already loosened it up so. Construction goes back to work (retail and commercial) on the 7th. You can golf(just not with a cart).

I think some things are going to be a long time coming though and I am not sure people understand that. I would suspect motels/Hotels and sit down dining is going to be one of the last things to come (along with carts on the golf course). Large gatherings like weddings are way down the pike too I think.

Before everything got shut down (so this would be like early-mid March) I told my boss that if things were close to normal come Memorial Day we would be really lucky. I still stick by that.
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• God bless your barber liney...good for him.
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I think one thing we are learning is that they a lot of people (and not saying anyone here) only care about themselves in this country
        The problem with this national emergency is that the "enemy" or the "fear-generator" isn't the same for people. It's not Japan or Germany or Al-Queda. People are scared of Covid AND people are scared of losing there damn job and their house and everything else. And when you have fears running at cross purposes you end up with some nasty disputes.

Fortunately, more people are scared of Covid. So, the cautious policies are politically tenable. But, the longer the go on AND the longer extreme measures stay in place, the less tenable those become. People will shift. I think outdoor measures -- especially in May and June -- are going to push people toward the reopening end of things. And Liney's barber should be open (fortunately, we've established some sort of principle recently where law enforcement doesn't have to enforce laws -- perhaps we can call Liney's barber a Sanctuary Barber).

One thought I've had about all of this is that "science" in the form of "models" is going to take a huge, huge hit. I can see people -- lots of people -- very rationally concluding that these models weren't fucking close so why on earth should we trust future models.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• EFZ to the EFZ
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• When you agree with me you undercut me. Kindly wander on over to Team Whitlove.

Comment

• I'd rather stick a hot needle in my eye
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• That works, too. Two viable options. Make a choice and get the fuck off my lawn.

Comment

• harsh
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Most polls show large majority support for some form of shutdown, even now. That will change. But even most of the people who want shutdowns relaxed probably don't think highly of the morons waving confederate flags, brandishing large guns, and screaming in the face of police about how current-day Michigan is the equivalent of Nazi Germany. Those people are a fringe minority within a minority.

Comment

• Last edited by AlabamAlum; May 1, 2020, 07:34 AM.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Well he would get the employee discount on the glorious McRib...so he has that going for him...The-McRib-Is-Back-At-McDonalds-For-2019-678x381.jpg
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Those people are a fringe minority within a minority.
                          No. I'm led to believe they are the voice of the right.

Comment

• People who are scared. Causing fear such as they experience is a way they fight the feeling of powerlessness.
                            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

One thought I've had about all of this is that "science" in the form of "models" is going to take a huge, huge hit. I can see people -- lots of people -- very rationally concluding that these models weren't fucking close so why on earth should we trust future models.
                              God I hope that you are right. Predictive models have replaced hypothesis testing in science. And so now, you can prove basically anything via modeling. But of course, nobody is ever transparent about how big the error bars are in the model or the assumptions that go into them. And thus, you end up with climatological models that have yet to be right one single time predicting that Earth will be Venus in 50 years unless we revert our economy back to the Stone Age.

Comment

• Correct. That would be the one good thing to come from this disaster.

Comment

Working...
                                X