No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Supremacy is more dangerous than Covid-19. Never forget.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

I too watched it for the first time, my wife for the second. We had tried in vain to obtain tickets to the first run in NYC. She's a big fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda, the Heights and Broadway in general.

#CANCEL HAMILTON? Maybe the show but given the 2h and 30m time frame that the play's writers, musicians, choreographers and lyricists had to portray the man, Alexander Hamilton, it was pretty true to his history. It would be much harder to cancel that. There is probably more books written, most of them in agreement as far as I can tell, about the period of 1770s to 1800s IRT the evolution of the US Constitution and the Federal Government than any other period of American history.

I think we're safe from the tyranny of the current cancel everything in the history books written under the moniker of white privilege movement.

BTW, we got Disney+ just to watch Hamilton. Tickets for off-Broadway productions are still running $100s of dollars a pop. Before COVID, tickets in NYC were still pricey and hard to get. At 20 bucks and then cancel, it was worth it. Really good production in all aspects except the sound. The story and the way it's told was excellent.
      Slave owners are portrayed as courageous and noble. #CANCELHAMILTON

Comment

• (Hopefully Jeff will chime in, being more read on this issue than I.)
        Wear a mask, keep your distance. As case #s increase, your probability of encountering someone who is infected increases if you are returning to some level of personal mobility. I started out wearing surgical masks - they are fine as are cloth facial coverings of the mouth and nose. I'm now wearing a commercially available N95 equivalent that fits tightly because I am over 65. Any time I can't distance outside, anytime I'm inside, I'm wearing it.

Despite prodigious mitigation efforts by the cycle studio I ride inside in, it's becoming problematic. There has been no PH warnings that gyms or cycle studios are hot spots. You would think they might become one but to my knowledge, reliable official word has not fingered these venues. Certainly, restaurants with bars serving liquor and hosting big numbers have been.

If you haven't seen this (I posted it up thread), watch it then, pass it along to everyone you know.

https://www.detroitlionsforum.com/fo...22#post1696122
        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; July 6, 2020, 11:05 AM.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Take Japan as an example.
          This is no surprise, Japan and wearing masks can be traced back centuries a custom to which is attributed Japan’s lower number of deaths from COVID-19. Asian nations practice became widespread in 2003 when SARS, another variant of the coronavirus, spread from China to neighboring countries. I used to pick up a lot of customers from Metro Airport and Cherry Blossom and got used to the fact they bow - not shake hands either.

Comment

• Miami-Dade Co. will close all restaurants and gyms by EO to be signed today. Probably effective tonight at mid-night. Nothing else is getting closed that has opened already. This is a limited lock-down.

This FL county's mayor has been the toughest on closings and the most restrained on openings in the tri-county S. Fl region.

That's a huge blow to restauranteurs and employees who were just starting to see income. There were reports that many of these establishments were experiencing more business and revenue from it that at the same period last year and large increases as compared to a month ago.

So much for my previous comment about gyms not yet being fingered as hot spots. Pressure is going to be enormous for the other two county mayors (Broward and Palm Beach) to follow suit. The only thing that might work against similar closings is that there is a very vocal anti-closing group that has affected both mayors. As well, Dade Co. has 2X the GR of Broward and about 1.5 that of PB.
            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; July 6, 2020, 11:30 AM.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• FTR, early on in Michigan's outbreak, I felt that Gretch did a good job in getting out in front and leading efforts to flatten the curve here. I stated as much in here on several occasions. Her actions since then, including as Tom noted, her decision to put Covid patients in nursing homes with otherwise healthy seniors, was disasterous. She's trying to hide from that now, but there's no way it can be ignored. The relatives of those seniors who died needlessly will not let her forget it. And, her silly tete-a-tete with my barber made her look smaller with each passing day. Especially the day she sent 8 massive State Troopers into his shop to deliver her 'written order' to 'cease and desist'. Her losses in court over this issue have continued to make her look petty and small. Even the Democrat-majority Michigan Supreme Court told her in a UNANIMOUS decision, that "Michigan must be run by the law, and not by hysteria".

Well, yeah.

I hope that Whitmer does lead Michigan well thru all this. I really don't want her to fail. But, she has to govern according to the law, and not her personal whims and desires. Anti-Trumpers have been telling us that for years now.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                So do you agree with the 1,200 health professionals on your side who said that White Supremacy is a bigger public health issue than Covid-19?
                I don't put anymore stock in the thoughts of those 1200 nut cases than I do in these 4000 nut cases. Btw, they are a fringe group of anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists. They sound official though, don't they?

Association of American Physicians and Surgeons Sues FDA for “Irrational” Interference of Access to Life-Saving Hydroxychloroquine

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Charlie Daniels has now passed away as well, RIP
                  Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; July 6, 2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• "I don't think Bubba Wallace has anything to apologize for....You saw the best in NASCAR. They all rallied to Bubba's side. I would be looking to celebrate that kind of attitude rather than being worried it's a hoax" -- Lindsey Graham, on Fox Radio

Comment

• As a quick reminder, when NY's cases spiked up to over 5000 per day (and eventually 10K), the deaths quickly spiked to 900-1000 per day within two weeks. That was just in NY.

The last two days of death totals in the whole US were roughly 500 COMBINED. We'll see what the traditional "Monday spike" brings, but that's some perspective.

And we know what was happening in NY -- it was ravaging long-term care and the elderly. That's not what's happening now.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't take sensible mitigation measures, but deaths are what count here.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I think it is clear that the president has chosen to speak his mind and in the process alienate the few reasonable Republican politicians or supporters that he has, or I should say, had.

I'm just ignoring him, hope our republic's checks and balances prevents him from doing more damage than he has already done and waiting for November when the voters will vote to replace him.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          As a quick reminder, when NY's cases spiked up to over 5000 per day (and eventually 10K), the deaths quickly spiked to 900-1000 per day within two weeks. That was just in NY.

The last two days of death totals in the whole US were roughly 500 COMBINED. We'll see what the traditional "Monday spike" brings, but that's some perspective.

And we know what was happening in NY -- it was ravaging long-term care and the elderly. That's not what's happening now.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't take sensible mitigation measures, but deaths are what count here.
                          Right, we need to nip it in the bud NOW before it becomes so prevalent that nursing home staff, nurses, and doctors can no longer avoid it and unknowingly introduce it into the homes. One would hope that most of those employees are doing everything possible to limit their own exposure.

Comment

• Meant to post this earlier but Ivy league coaches are expecting college football to get pushed to the Spring. A final decision is coming Wednesday. This might get the ball rolling around the FCS division at least.

Comment

• He seems to be doing everything he can to lose. Its mind boggling, because the current Joe Biden has to be the weakest Democratic nominee since Michael Dukakis. If Trump would just go thru the motions of being a fair minded, well-spoken candidate, he'd bury Joe.

When Joe is elected, he's only going to serve about 18 months, tops. His running mate will have more to say about where the country is going, than Joe will.

Its ironic for me, because a decade ago, I'd never have considered voting for Joe. But, I'd take that Joe over Trump today.

Today's Joe shouldn't even be considering a presidential run. He should be sitting on the porch of the retired democrats home somewhere in the Florida Keys ...
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Right, we need to nip it in the bud NOW before it becomes so prevalent that nursing home staff, nurses, and doctors can no longer avoid it and unknowingly introduce it into the homes. One would hope that most of those employees are doing everything possible to limit their own exposure.
                                Yeah, completely disagree. I'm not shuttering the economy for that when long-term care and nursing homes can take targeted precautions to limit exposure. I'm fine with sensible measures, but I find it remarkably bad to implement broad policy to protect an extremely discrete subset that can easily take measures on its own.

But, I appreciate the effort to make the current status sound as bad as possible.
                                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Working...
                                X