Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    There's absolutely zero question about that, Liney.
    We should run a contest in here on predictions for how long after the Biden/Harris inauguration the MSM will report "huge advances in the fight against Covid". And at least one moron will say "See?.. All we needed to do was get rid of Trump!!"

I'd say not more than a week.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
      Whitley, Biden saying he's not for Medicare for all or the Green New Deal isn't particularly meaningful. A little over a decade ago, Tom Daschal penned a book that laid out an incremental plan for implementing a national health care plan. Obama followed it. Biden will too. His "public Option" concept will essentially create the next step for Medicare for All.

I'm not opposed to some from of federal safety net coverage but incrementalism is the only way to get there and it could take another decade. The reason for that is an entrenched commercial healthcare system, entwined with the pharmaceutical industry. Very hard to unwind it. That's because there's a shit ton of money to be made in this system by an increasingly smaller number of people with a lot of political clout. There are no significant benefits to Americans in the current system that involve lower costs of care. None. The exorbitant cost of it is scandalous and profits are lining the pockets of a few.

The health care policy a Biden administration will probably pursue is one form of socialized medicine that I can get behind.
      Well those close to Biden are already backing away from a public health option. Before he is even office, they are already backing away from the bare minimum. It will likely be tweaks to Obamacare (if it is around).
      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Quick, FYI — over 600 AA and Latinos have been shot and killed in Chicago this year alone (mostly AAs). That far exceeds the number of AAs shot and killed by police nationwide.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• If FDR was alive...his quote would be changed to...we have nothing to fear...except Trump and Covid...
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• And bad frozen wings in podunk Nebraskan towns.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I couldn't find a link to this so cut and pasted ........

The mayor of Livermore, California explains Trump’s popularity and
              success. This is perhaps the best explanation for Trump's popularity

Marshall Kamena is a registered Democrat and was elected mayor of
              Livermore, CA. He ran on the democratic ticket as he knew a Bay Area
              city would never vote for a Republican. He is as conservative as they
              come. He wrote the following:

Trump’s 'lack of decorum, dignity, and statesmanship' By Marshall
              Kamena, Mayor of Livermore, CA.

These aren’t those times. This is war. And it’s a war that the Left
              has been fighting without opposition for the past 50 years.

So, say anything you want about this president - I get it - he can be
              vulgar, he can be crude, he can be undignified at times. I don’t
              care. I can’t spare this man. He fights for America!
              Missed this from Saturday. It wasn't written by Marshall Kamena and Kamena hasn't been the mayor of Livermore, CA in almost a decade.

In reality it was written by a conservative activist and pundit named Evan Sayet and posted to Town Hall in 2017. The article's actual title was "He Fights"

My Leftist friends (as well as many ardent #NeverTrumpers) constantly ask me if Im not bothered by Donald Trumps lack of decorum. They ask if I dont think his tweets are beneath the dignity of the office. Heres my answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

That will change after the election.
                It's actually beginning to change now .......it's a small opening in the door of a flood of push-back to come against the dire consequences narrative - the official one from the CDC emanating as resistance to Trump's dismissal of the virus and that of the press. Midwestern states as one might expect have experienced rising case numbers. In general, this part of the US got a late start on infections so, comparatively speaking, they look bad when you examine new case numbers and compare them to states that were hit hard in February and March.

Midwestern governors are speaking out against representations by local and national press that their policies - which largely parallel what is characterized as a less vigorous GOP response to the pandemic- fail to contain the virus. That claim is based on rising case numbers taken out of context. PH officials in the governor's offices talk not of case numbers but of positivity rates in the 5% range as a sign that things are going well with re openings. They also site downward trending deaths as a function of populations, and fewer hospitalizations. Negativity still tends to drown out good news. The press is good at taking one local hospital and writing a story under a picture of a patient, on a vent, surrounded by care givers in full PPE and declaring the "hospital is overwhelmed with the exploding numbers of new COVID patients." Untrue exaggerations.

I think there is growing public awareness that the virus is going to inevitably spread but the PH, social and economic impact can be minimized. This can be accomplished by taking simple steps to protect yourself and others. A directive official response such as wide spread closings and lock-downs, rigorously enforced mask and distancing mandates produces push-back, demonstrations, and can incite the kind of response Governor Whitmer is dealing with in MI. A response where emphasis is on taking personal responsibility for yourselves and others, complying with recommended mitigation measures on a voluntary basis fits American culture much better and can produce similar PH benefits (decreased disease burden) as mandated measures produce ..... and without the economic and social costs attendant to wide spread and even targeted lock-downs.

There's ample proof that this approach works and as RAPID testing becomes more available and the infrastructure for tracing develops in the US, then add a vaccine, this nightmare will end. Now add a D president and the press will paint a picture of an explosion in economic growth and PH nirvana. The press will have to find something else to wring their hands over.
                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 12, 2020, 08:23 AM.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Missed this from Saturday. It wasn't written by Marshall Kamena and Kamena hasn't been the mayor of Livermore, CA in almost a decade.

In reality it was written by a conservative activist and pundit named Evan Sayet and posted to Town Hall in 2017. The article's actual title was "He Fights"

My Leftist friends (as well as many ardent #NeverTrumpers) constantly ask me if Im not bothered by Donald Trumps lack of decorum. They ask if I dont think his tweets are beneath the dignity of the office. Heres my answer.

Good catch ...... the quoted text was in an email sent to me by friends who are Trumpsters. The point still stands. It explains how these people think which, to me, is important to understand.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Now add a D president and the press will paint a picture of an explosion in economic growth and PH nirvana. The press will have to find something else to wring their hands over.
                    Well, the obvious hand-wringing will be over R efforts to block vital legislation. It certainly won't be over anything any D does.

Comment

• Non-violent protestors smash storefronts and topple statues of Teddy and Abe. https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...evelt-statues/

Of course, per the new Associated Press style guide, we can't call that a riot because it only detracts from the message of the peaceful protest. I wish I was joking, but here we are.

Comment

• 93% peaceful according to BHO's husband.
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• TBF, Portland authorities declared the demonstration to be "a riot." Based on rules to address these gatherings implemented about a month ago by the governor's office, once declared a riot, police can intervene and make arrests. Apparently they did.

That doesn't lessen the idiocy of the actions to topple the statues nor does it dilute the message that goons behind this sort of destruction are lawless anarchists with objectives far different from those intended to address legitimate grievances.

Comment

• Still, my grandson (27) and his wife who had resided in the Capital Hill area of Seattle recently moved to Atlanta. One of the reasons was lawlessness in this once gentrified, trendy community of down town Seattle and the unwillingness of police to patrol areas that had been occupied by "protesters." They had a routine of walking their dogs after work. They would frequently dine out in street cafes. The area, once alive, is pretty much dead. None of that activity was safe.

Comment

I think there is growing public awareness that the virus is going to inevitably spread but the PH, social and economic impact can be minimized. This can be accomplished by taking simple steps to protect yourself and others. A directive official response such as wide spread closings and lock-downs, rigorously enforced mask and distancing mandates produces push-back, demonstrations, and can incite the kind of response Governor Whitmer is dealing with in MI. A response where emphasis is on taking personal responsibility for yourselves and others, complying with recommended mitigation measures on a voluntary basis fits American culture much better and can produce similar PH benefits (decreased disease burden) as mandated measures produce ..... and without the economic and social costs attendant to wide spread and even targeted lock-downs.

There's ample proof that this approach works and as RAPID testing becomes more available and the infrastructure for tracing develops in the US, then add a vaccine, this nightmare will end. Now add a D president and the press will paint a picture of an explosion in economic growth and PH nirvana. The press will have to find something else to wring their hands over.

This is where Whitmer and her ilk - as well as the press- are having their true colors called out. The SMART move for them would be to take credit for the actions done back in March and April. Some things actually worked and there is some excuse allowed for being overcautious.

But, no- They keep insisting on their End of the World scenarios with ridiculous graphics, vague warnings and sketchy numbers- all based on "Science" that is kept hidden behind a curtain. The Clown Show continues yet they are oblivious to the fact that we aren't as stupid as they think we are.

Comment

• One inconsequential but amusing (to me) campaign sidenote: the Trump campaign has spent more money running tv ads in Washington DC than either Virginia or New Hampshire. Why waste the money there when it's 90% Democratic? Well, so Trump can see his ads running during his several hours of tv watching every day.

Comment

Working...
                                X