No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schilling's regular season numebrs are suprisingly comparable to Justin Verlander. I mean, they're really close. I sort of think of Verlander as a HOF pitcher (although, after looking at his numbers, maybe not?)

The biggest knock I have on Schilling is zero Cy Youngs, but awards are fickle.

I would put him in based on relatively strong advanced stats + post-season performance. I think Verlander is a lock, though, and I think highlights the different perceptions and potentially other issues at play. I'm pretty confident that the 3+% he needed to get into the HoF is accounted for by voters who didn't vote for him because they didn't like his politics. It's not like he's at 50% or something. 71 and change is pretty damn close. Doesn't take many more votes.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Anyway, Schilling's numbers and advanced numbers and HoF metrics are generally slightly above HoF average. That should mean he's in.

Comment

• Based upon his post season record, he deserves admission. I think, however, that his career stats make it a close question but I do agree that if his politics were disregarded he would be in, There is no question that baseball writers who vote for the HOF vote with a political agenda. If not here would be a slew of players who made it into the HOF as unanimous choices in the first year of eligibility.
        Last edited by UMStan White; January 28, 2021, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Ought to be investigations into Robin Hood and other apps putting restrictions on certain stocks. I can understand suspending the trade of certain stocks entirely if there's something outrageous going on. But only allowing people to sell, and not buy? That's putting a fix in for one side.

Melvin Capital, the hedge fund that's possibly heading to bankruptcy because of GameStop, got some rescue cash (which is probably all gone now) from two other firms. One of them Citadel Securities. Citadel also happens to supply a huge share of the securities traded on Robin Hood.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
            Based upon his post season record, he deserves admission. I think, however, that his career stats make it a close question but I do agree that if his politics were disregarded he would be in, There is no question that baseball writers who vote for the HOF vote with a political agenda. If not here would be a slew of players who made it into the HOF as unanimous choices in the first year of eligibility.
            I wouldn't say he's an absolute lock but looking at past HOFers and Curt's postseason stats he should be in.
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              Ought to be investigations into Robin Hood and other apps putting restrictions on certain stocks. I can understand suspending the trade of certain stocks entirely if there's something outrageous going on. But only allowing people to sell, and not buy? That's putting a fix in for one side.

Melvin Capital, the hedge fund that's possibly heading to bankruptcy because of GameStop, got some rescue cash (which is probably all gone now) from two other firms. One of them Citadel Securities. Citadel also happens to supply a huge share of the securities traded on Robin Hood.
              Why? I mean, I wonder what law they broke? They're a private app. They are not the only means by which investors can trade. They are not operating on insider information. In this massive battle to game the system, why should anyone really care if people who are getting gamed fight back and try to game the gamers? I'm sure their terms of service cover what they're doing.

I'm not sure how sophisticated these apps are, legally, but it would seem to me that if there were giant red flags about what they were doing then they wouldn't do it.

I'd love an investigation into how Twitter fucks over certain viewpoints, but it ain't fucking happening. We all know why.
              Last edited by iam416; January 28, 2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• I think this is far more important than people battling over e-money -- https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/...n-prosecution/

Essentially, the DOJ has criminally charged an individual for using social media to post voting misinformation in 2016. There are so many things wrong with this that I don't even know where to start -- but, needless to say, this is the Chairman Joe 'Justice" Department. And it's horrifying.

Comment

• The HOF is pretty much the writers' Private Club, and it's a bunch of BS that they are allowed to use their votes as some sort of Personal Honor Platform.. Schilling should be in and I would argue that Bonds, Clemens, McGwire and Sosa at least deserve more consideration. Add Pete Rose to that list, too. Yes, all of them were flawed characters, and those flaws impacted the game. But It's not the "Hall of Saints", If the Woke writers want it to be, then maybe they should look closer at the guys that that were already there. It's a pretty safe bet that these guys used substances, gambled. cheated on their wives, solicited hookers, used racial/ethnic/LGBTQ? slurs and even voted for Republicans. Good luck trying to tear down those plaques..

Comment

• Schilling's numbers would be nowhere near the worst in the HOF if he were admitted but they are borderline enough to be debatable. He's nowhere near a first ballot, slam dunk decision. There's no question his politics but also his personality have hurt him. Though why people think that'll change significantly once the Veterans Committee gets to him, I don't know. I don't think he was especially loved by his teammates either.

People used to tout Jack Morris' postseason record as to why he should automatically get in too and I was never a fan of that argument for him either. Schilling's regular season stats ARE better than him however.

Comment

• Schilling has always been a borderline HOFer. I would probably tip the scale in his favor based on his postseason performances but I don't think it's necessarily a crime that he isn't in. FWIW, here's his most recent vote totals and it's not like his political views are a new revelation.
                      • 2017: 45.0
                      • 2018: 51.2
                      • 2019: 60.9
                      • 2020: 70.0
                      • 2021: 71.1
                      But yeah, sure... he didn't get in this year because of a tweet.

Comment

• Again, Schilling's numbers are slightly above average FOR HOF STARTING PITCHERS. And, again, his numbers are goddamn shockingly similar to Verlander.

He's obviously not a first ballot guy, but I think he's a pretty clear HOFer. Verlander will be a clear HOFer -- probably in his 2nd or 3rd year. I defy anyone to make the case that Verlander is clearly more deserving than Schilling.

Comment

• The thing with Schlling is he never had that 7-8 year run where you thought he was one of the two or three best pitchers in baseball. And his career numbers are definitely above HOF average, but for a pure "career" award they fall short of somone like Mussina who was mostly just an AS-level pitcher for a long time. He's kind of in-between -- where he had a really great 4-5 year stretch and good career numbers.

Comment

• You kind of just made the point I was going to re: Verlander/Schilling. Verlander has 2 Cy Young Awards (should be 3 but the TB writers hosed him by leaving him completely off their ballots), twice runner-up, an MVP, Rookie of the Year, and 8 time All-Star. Schilling has 6 AS appearances and no awards.

Verlander's HOF statistics are also all significantly better than Schilling's.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                              Again, Schilling's numbers are slightly above average FOR HOF STARTING PITCHERS. And, again, his numbers are goddamn shockingly similar to Verlander.

He's obviously not a first ballot guy, but I think he's a pretty clear HOFer. Verlander will be a clear HOFer -- probably in his 2nd or 3rd year. I defy anyone to make the case that Verlander is clearly more deserving than Schilling.
                              It's not clarity, but Verlander has 3 no-hitters and 2 Cy Young awards (see above). He might have won a few clutch playoff games, but his WS record is pretty dismal.

Schilling has better WS highlights and played in Boston.

Both should be HOF- but politics..
                              Last edited by Tom W; January 28, 2021, 01:41 PM. Reason: Mike said that already..

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                Schilling has always been a borderline HOFer. I would probably tip the scale in his favor based on his postseason performances but I don't think it's necessarily a crime that he isn't in. FWIW, here's his most recent vote totals and it's not like his political views are a new revelation.
                                • 2017: 45.0
                                • 2018: 51.2
                                • 2019: 60.9
                                • 2020: 70.0
                                • 2021: 71.1
                                But yeah, sure... he didn't get in this year because of a tweet.
                                His first year on the ballot (2013) he only got 39%. And the year after that, 29%

I'm not sure when exactly he became viewed as a political kook (it wasn't until 2016 that ESPN fired him) but I can say that his reputation as an asshole goes back longer. That probably shouldn't figure into HOF consideration, but obviously it does.

Comment

Working...
                                X