Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
    James O'Keefe and Project Veritas, a hard right organization, don't have a great rep for accuracy and have a history of describing alternate realities from allegedly fabricated videos. As opposed to "banning" O'Keefe, he's been "limited" and that limitation applies to the posting of what Twitter thinks are fabricated videos through which O'Keefe wants to make a point. In this particular case, he's taking aim at Big Tech's apparent bias in censoring conservative speech.

I do think there is a risk of overt censorship of conservative thought and speech within social media platforms and a bias that favors liberal thought in the MSM. But both sides of the political spectrum are guilty of twisting interpretation of events to whatever their current narrative might be. It's a good idea for consumers of this stuff to be aware that's happening.
    What are the allegedly fabricated videos? I haven't heard any decent rebuttals of their material. Sometimes they overhype their significance or sensationalize mundane stuff, but that's about it. Their viewers are capable, IMHO, of figuring out what is worth getting outraged about and what is a nothingburger.
    Last edited by Hannibal; February 12, 2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
      Got my first shot two days ago (Pfizer). Sore shoulder, but near as sore as after my shingles shot. No other side effects. The only problem I see is that I will no longer be able to donate plasma for COVID. From what I have read, the vaccine negates the antibodies in you system.

My local school system has been back to school since having about a month of online classes to start the year. They also extended the Christmas break for a week. They canceled homecoming dance and sports have gone off a planned with limited crowd attendence. Mitigation measures are relatively stringent, masks, hand sanitizers, extra sanitation etc etc. It seems to be a common sense approach that is working pretty well.
      They shouldn't be cancelling homecoming dances and the like. Young people should be living their lives normally. That includes graduations and birthday parties. They are absolutely not at risk from Covid-19, period.

And not like this.

fefqfqfqw.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Correct. However, Nicole Hannah-Jones just posted someone's phone number -- left the tweet up for days and finally deleted it. No action taken.

Conservatives don't complain about Twitter's ostensibly neutral rules. They complain that the neutral rules aren't applied neutrally. So, even here the question is how do they treat people on the left who do the same thing. And the cool thing about that is that is that Twitter will never release that data for any sort of study. They'll just say "neutral rules".
        Yup, that's pretty much it.

I'm very much anti-doxxing, since it is nothing but a harrassment tactic to threaten people, but as always, it's a rule that will never be imposed equally.

Comment

• First personnel scandal of the Biden White House is a bunch of squabbling over who is fucking who, but they have to fire him over this

Deputy Press Secretary TJ Ducklo lashed out at journalist Tara Palmeri, spurring conversations between Politico’s brass and the White House—and raising questions about behavior tolerated in the Biden administration.

Comment

• Murkowski & Collins question to Trump's lawyers:

"Exactly when did President Trump learn of the breach of the Capitol and what specific actions did he take to bring the rioting to an end, and when did he take them?"

Trump's lawyers basically said they don't know and it's not their responsibility (as his lawyers!!!) to know that either. They point to one tweet where he told the rioters to be nice to the police. They blame the House for not holding an investigation to find any of those things out.

You're supposed to be his legal defense and you can't point to any specific actions beyond one tweet? That was the extent of it? They previously claimed a couple days ago that he was "horrified" by the mob and immediately tried to stop things. Guess they had nothing to back that whopper up.

I don't know if Murkwoski and Collins are true swing votes but Trump may have just lost them on that response.
            Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; February 12, 2021, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• That’s the problem with incitement. It’s not at all focused on what that person does after the allegedly inciting words.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Trump's lawyer (who is a personal injury lawyer in Philadelphia) gave a similar response to Cassidy, who was pretty much trying to find out what Trump knew about Pence's situation when he tweeted that Pence was a coward who had let them all down. The lawyer's response was pretty much, how the hell should I know and what does it matter? Tommy Tuberville has gone on the record to reporters to say he told Trump they were removing Pence for his safety, and that was 10 minutes before Trump sent the tweet. Trump's lawyer basically called that hearsay; implying Tuberville is a liar. Tommy got his first taste of what in means to be a courtier in Trump's court.

EDIT: Just read where after the session was over, Tuberville told reporters he stands by his account. He told Trump on the phone that they had just evacuated Pence and everyone was being evacuated. And that was shortly before Trump sent out his tweet effectively calling Pence a coward.
                Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; February 12, 2021, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                  That’s the problem with incitement. It’s not at all focused on what that person does after the allegedly inciting words.
                  Yeah, you're right. But this is the problem with impeachment. There really are very few standards and rules. People cite standards from a court of law when it's convenient, but only when it's convenient. Decisions made by the Senate in the impeachment process can't be appealed to, say, the Supreme Court or anything, so that suggests it's an extrajudicial process where the same rules don't apply. Nor even should they.

Comment

• This isn't an anonymous leak. There are Republican Congressmen going on the record here to say what Kevin McCarthy told them about his conversation with Trump in the middle of the riot. Anthony Gonzalez (OH) is one of them.

Washington (CNN) In an expletive-laced phone call with House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy while the Capitol was under attack, then-President Donald Trump said the rioters cared more about the election results than McCarthy did.

"Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are," Trump said, according to lawmakers who were briefed on the call afterward by McCarthy.

McCarthy insisted that the rioters were Trump's supporters and begged Trump to call them off.

Trump's comment set off what Republican lawmakers familiar with the call described as a shouting match between the two men. A furious McCarthy told the President the rioters were breaking into his office through the windows, and asked Trump, "Who the f--k do you think you are talking to?" according to a Republican lawmaker familiar with the call.

The newly revealed details of the call, described to CNN by multiple Republicans briefed on it, provide critical insight into the President's state of mind as rioters were overrunning the Capitol. The existence of the call and some of its details have been previously reported and discussed publicly by McCarthy.

The Republican members of Congress said the exchange showed Trump had no intention of calling off the rioters even as lawmakers were pleading with him to intervene. Several said it amounted to a dereliction of his presidential duty.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/polit...ils/index.html

Comment

• I generally think this group of Democrats did a much better job than the first group, but if there’s one thing I would’ve changed is appoint one of the Republicans (not Cheney) as an impeachment manager instead of Swalwell

Comment

• Talent, DSL:

But baby now
                        Take me into your loving arms
                        Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
                        Place your head on my beating heart
                        I'm thinking out loud
                        That maybe we found love right where we are, oh
                        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Yeah, you're right. But this is the problem with impeachment. There really are very few standards and rules. People cite standards from a court of law when it's convenient, but only when it's convenient. Decisions made by the Senate in the impeachment process can't be appealed to, say, the Supreme Court or anything, so that suggests it's an extrajudicial process where the same rules don't apply. Nor even should they.
                          Yeah, but the articles of impeachment specify why he was impeached. Incitement.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• AA-

All of a sudden
                            I began to change
                            I was on the dance floor
                            acting strange
                            Flapping my arms
                            I began to cluck
                            Look at me
                            I'm the disco duck

Ah, get down mama
                            I've got to have me a woman
                            Ha ha ha ha ha

Comment

• I don't know if Murkwoski and Collins are true swing votes but Trump may have just lost them on that response.
                              There's no indication that Trump ever "had" these two. They will vote to convict, and it will be no surprise to anyone but the drama queens at the MSM.

They still don't have the 67 to convict, and they won't when the final vote comes.

So Trump will be twice impeached, and twice acquitted. Hey, that makes him twice as good as Clinton!
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Lying about a blowjob. Inciting an insurrection.

Seems about the same to me...

Jesus.
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X