Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
    ""Let them take the bus""

There are millions of people world-wide that get where they need by using mass transit. Hell millions of people in New York get by without a car.
    I get that, Stan. I have no problem with mass transit. Shoot, if I could meet all my transportation needs without having a car, I'd ditch my car tomorrow. In the last 10 years alone, I've paid thousands of dollars in premiums, to my auto insurance company, and not filed a single claim in that time. But, the law says I have to have insurance 'just in case' I get in an accident.

The vast majority of us don't have mass transit that meets our needs. We don't even have Uber out here.

I guess my point is, eliminating gas vehicles hurts more people than it helps. At least right now that's the problem.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
      Thank goodness their will never be any changes in technology or all of y'all's hand wringing will all be for naught.

Jesus.
      Depending on technology to change exactly as you need it to is as pathetic of a strategy as “Hope”. Maybe you’ll get lucky, but most likely your best outcome is failing but leaving your bag of shit in your successors’ hands.

Comment

Thank goodness their will never be any changes in technology or all of y'all's hand wringing will all be for naught.

Jesus.
        How come nobody ever has any optimism over the ability of technology to mitigate global warming "climate change"?

Assuming it is even a made-man problem. Or even a problem, for that matter.
        Last edited by Hannibal; March 28, 2021, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post

Depending on technology to change exactly as you need it to is as pathetic of a strategy as “Hope”. Maybe you’ll get lucky, but most likely your best outcome is failing but leaving your bag of shit in your successors’ hands.
          Shit is going to change. It always has and always will. It is not as if they are going to ban petroleum in any of our lifetimes. A gradual weening of our use will occur, as it should.

Liney's fear of not having transportation out in the sticks is unwarranted and nothing more than right wing fear mongering.

But you know, Right wingers gonna wing nut.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Yes climate change is real. Every spring it warms up...followed by excessive heat in the summer...a gradual cooldown in the fall and cold returns in the winter. Quite the phenomenon.
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• “Hey chief, that boat you are going to take out has a bad leak and there is nothing currently available onboard to fix it.”

”Hell, we will go anyway. I’m sure we’ll invent something while underway.”

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

How come nobody ever has any optimism over the ability of technology to mitigate global warming "climate change"?

Assuming it is even a made-man problem. Or even a problem, for that matter.
                Jesus. Really.

That may be the most stupid thing you have ever posted and you have posted a lot of stupid shit.

That is the point of cutting our dependency on fossil fuels. Technology is moving that way and will continue to do so, even as you climate change deniers cry about it.
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• hilarious
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                    “Hey chief, that boat you are going to take out has a bad leak and there is nothing currently available onboard to fix it.”

”Hell, we will go anyway. I’m sure we’ll invent something while underway.”

Really? That is a stupid analogy.

"Hey Chief, the new boat is a jet drive. It handles differently than a prop and rudder boat. It is better technology. Get used to it."

Comment

• No, CG. The technology is not present. Maybe it can be, but it is not in place yet. Things such as increased kilowatt demand vs kilowatt available in a state that already has rolling blackouts and power supply issues.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Jesus. Really.

That may be the most stupid thing you have ever posted and you have posted a lot of stupid shit.

That is the point of cutting our dependency on fossil fuels. Technology is moving that way and will continue to do so, even as you climate change deniers cry about it.
                        Technology isn't moving that way. Government enforcement is moving that way. The technology hasn't changed.

The technology alternatives to the internal combustion engine still suck ass and will do so for your entire life and that of your grandchildren. And the renewable alternatives to fossil fuels will never be better than fossil fuels. The only thing that will ever make battery vehicles and soybean diesel fuel economically viable are massive tax and credit programs that cause you to pay astronomical amounts for energy and transportation. And that's the truth. Don't talk to me about hand wringing when you guys are the ones predicting mass human death waves and death storms unless we all eat Bill Gates's soy burgers and drive battery-powered golf carts.

Comment

• Technology is moving that way and continue to do so. They aren't shutting the shit off tomorrow, FFS.

Comment

• CG,

Technology has not solved California’s current power issues. Well, technology could, but California is unwilling to go that route. The increased kilowatt demand with millions and millions of electric cars and busses and 18-wheelers is insane until the continuing saga of California’s current crisis is addressed.

Come on. Even most liberals know that Cali is wildly dysfunctional. I don’t know how this is even an argument to try and make.

Comment

• California experienced four of its five hottest August days in the last 35 years. They had rolling blackout for three days because they didn't plan adequately for the increase in power demand. Same thing happened to Texas only in reverse.

California's use of alternative energy had next to nothing to do with that failure, the same for Texas. The failure was in planning, not sources.

From the LA Times:

State agencies failed to adequately plan for that type of heat event despite knowing how quickly the world is heating up, the report concluded. They also failed to direct electricity providers to buy sufficient power supplies to cover the evening hours when solar panels go offline. And they created complex energy market mechanisms that masked the inadequacies.

California's goal of 60% renewable energy by 2030 may be ambitious, but it is possible.

As to Hanni's lament of government forcing the use of renewable energy on us, I say good. It is the only way to drag you dinosaurs and climate change deniers into the future.

Last edited by CGVT; March 28, 2021, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• CG,

The blackouts are just part of it, and the rolling blackouts didn’t start with the August heatwave. They go back decades.

Cali has an old grid and an unwillingness to build more plants. So, they buy and import power from neighboring states now. Imagine what happens when the kilowatt demand goes up 3000%.

Also, currently, only 2 of the contiguous US states charge more than California per kilowatt hour, and a study by the State of California expects it to be the most expensive per kilowatt hour by 2027.

But if we’re gonna go with “Cali currently has a stable grid and is ready for a major change and an exponential growth in demand that would be way more than the August heatwave”, then I will just tip my hat to you and bid a good day.

Comment

Working...
                                X