Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
    The NYT ran a piece this morning featuring a story told by Yale Law Professor and Federal Judge Guido Calabresi that he has been telling law students for more than three decades. He asks, would you eliminate automobiles, for example, to save the 11000 traffic fatalities that occur every year?" Of course the rational answer is no. That is becasue we accept that risk which is actually miniscule considering exposure to that risk that individuals willingly experience. When a risk is new though, such as death from COVID, there is a tendency for that risk to become outsized producing unwanted caution that begets bad public health policy.

Just last week the CDC produced a report that appeared on thier web site that trumpeted new government data showing that 5,800 fully vaccinated Americans had contracted Covid. That may sound like a big number, but it indicates that a vaccinated person’s chances of getting COVID are about one in 11,000. The chances of a getting a version any worse than a common cold are even more remote. Yet the Biden administration continues to message a negative COVID narrative and press for the continuation of increasingly unnecessary COVID mitigation measures. A couple of law makers are jumping on that band-wagon. The front running example at the federal level of irrational fear of becoming infected and getting seriously ill from COVID is the cruise industry - completely shut down by federal COVID related regulations. That sort of irrationality filters down to state governments as well where facing a spike in new COVID cases (discussed above) Governor Whitmer has threatened state-wide lockdowns in the circumstance of stable or declining death and serious illness rates. Everyone posting here knows people or friends of people that refuse to leave their homes harboring irrational fears of dying from COVID even though they are vaccinated.

I'm seeing more an more published thought like this appearing in multiple places. It's refreshing. It's producing push-back from Americans as well as law makers at the state and federal level against onerous and completely unnecessary COVID mitigation measures. The bottom line is that the risk of a vaccinated person becoming seriously ill or dying from COVID is exceedingly small and in general, the unjustifiable fear of that risk remains a major obstacle to getting on with life as the population of vaccinated Americans rises.
    You have two separate populations completely misinformed. There was a poll last week that asked folks about chances foe Covid hospitalizations and deaths. Self-described liberals MASSIVELY overestimated both, which is not surprising given that they swallow what The Media says without question. Meanwhile, you have folks on the right who are going to believe vaccinations are dangerous because their limited news outlets will peddle that shit.

So, you end up with irrationality coming at you from both directions and it's just fucked up. This is what happens when make this issue political. The Media took the side of Fear Monkey on this and we have produced fear monkeys.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Wow, Steve Stivers leaving Congress to lead the Ohio Chamber of Commerce instead. I had thought he'd be a great candidate to run for Portman's seat but he made it clear he wasn't interested several months ago.

Comment

• Pretty damn good closing from the prosecution in the Chauvin case. If I had to bet right now, it would be that he's convicted on all counts fairly quickly. It'll take a miraculous performance from the defense. Their only hope was to prove cause of death and it doesn't sound like they were successful in pinning it on the fentanyl.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
          Pretty damn good closing from the prosecution in the Chauvin case. If I had to bet right now, it would be that he's convicted on all counts fairly quickly. It'll take a miraculous performance from the defense. Their only hope was to prove cause of death and it doesn't sound like they were successful in pinning it on the fentanyl.
          Good.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Believe me, he went way too long. Jurors lose interest and zone out much sooner. He went too long before he addressed the defendant's strong points. It all comes down to causation causation causation.

Comment

• Yeah, I turned it off after what seemed like at least an hour and 15 minutes or so and it was starting to repeat itself and drone on. I assume they'll take a lunch break before defense goes?

A big factor is also the fact that he remained on him for probably 3 minutes after he was dead. That demonstrates a reckless indifference.
              Last edited by Mike; April 19, 2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Just went back to watch the defense closing and his first big argument was the 98% oxygen level point. Fairly strong point in raising reasonable doubt. I think the 3rd degree charge is a no-brainier and he probably gets convicted of all 3 but the 2nd degree murder charge might be in doubt depending how much weight the jury gives to the argument that you can't be asphyxiated with a 98% oxygen level.

Comment

• A big factor is also the fact that he remained on him for probably 3 minutes after he was dead. That demonstrates a reckless indifference.
                  But how can they explain that if he was dead for the last three minutes, that his blood oxygen level was .98 when he was checked in the ambulance, and that was several minutes after that?

I think he'll be found guilty because he was convicted by BLM/MSM/NBA/ABC/CBS/Disney/NBC/MSNBC/MLB/CNN a long time before the trial even began. This trial was never going to be fair no matter how it was held.

I admit that I know very little about criminal law, but to me a "murder" has to include some sort of intent to kill. Can the jurors fairly conclude that Chauvin deliberately killed (or murdered) Floyd?

I'm not sure where the dividing line is between murder and manslaughter is, but how does it apply here? Is there anything known as accidental homicide?

Negligent? Maybe yes. Deliberate murder? I'm not sure of that. If I were on the jury I'm not sure I could reach that conclusion. And, of course, my house would get burned down.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post

LOL Mel Brooks or Monte Python couldn't write a character as ridiculous as her. But, she does have an amazing way of holding a straight face when she presents her assorted chartjunk that she passes off as "Science". She almost looks like she believes it.

Of course, nobody in the press seriously questions her and yes, there's enough fools in this state to re-elect her.
                    She's got a 60% approval rating, Tom. I'm shaking my head over that too. Of course, most of that is SE Michigan voters that prop her up. And, you're right. There's enough foolish voters in this state to give her another go. I thought this state learned its lesson about air-headed Governors when we finally got rid of Grandholm.

I guess not.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                      And, of course, my house would get burned down.
                      Or at least smeared with pig's blood.

Comment

But how can they explain that if he was dead for the last three minutes, that his blood oxygen level was .98 when he was checked in the ambulance, and that was several minutes after that?

I think he'll be found guilty because he was convicted by BLM/MSM/NBA/ABC/CBS/Disney/NBC/MSNBC/MLB/CNN a long time before the trial even began. This trial was never going to be fair no matter how it was held.

I admit that I know very little about criminal law, but to me a "murder" has to include some sort of intent to kill. Can the jurors fairly conclude that Chauvin deliberately killed (or murdered) Floyd?

I'm not sure where the dividing line is between murder and manslaughter is, but how does it apply here? Is there anything known as accidental homicide?

Negligent? Maybe yes. Deliberate murder? I'm not sure of that. If I were on the jury I'm not sure I could reach that conclusion. And, of course, my house would get burned down.
                        We've come a long way since Rodney King...but we still all can't get along...
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

She's got a 60% approval rating, Tom. I'm shaking my head over that too. Of course, most of that is SE Michigan voters that prop her up. And, you're right. There's enough foolish voters in this state to give her another go. I thought this state learned its lesson about air-headed Governors when we finally got rid of Grandholm.

I guess not.
                          It's been steadily dropping. It's 59% in metro Detroit but statewide she's down to 52% and that was from over a month ago. Who knows where it's at now.

Comment

I guess not.
                            That 60% number must come from her "scientists" and data managers- or the Detroit Newspapers. IOW, It's about as credible as the attendance figures at Michigan Stadium.

She's Hillary Lite- driven and vindictive but not smart enough to match her ambitions. She gets increasingly laughable with each passing week.

One would like to think that she keeps getting booked for the Sunday shows as some sort of comedy act, but if they're trying to make a joke it's at the expense of the people of Michigan that elected her.

Comment

• Y'all need Kid Rock to run for guvna...
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
                                Believe me, he went way too long. Jurors lose interest and zone out much sooner. He went too long before he addressed the defendant's strong points. It all comes down to causation causation causation.
                                I haven't watched any of either but have now heard the Defense's closing statement has lasted over 2 hours.
                                Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; April 19, 2021, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X