Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    Charles Cooke -- short, to the point and spot on re the Progs unemployment benefits issues: https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...utm_term=first

Heh. Ah, how times have changed.
    Sure, the bonus benefits aren't really needed and are at least something of a drag at this point.

A counter to this is that I've seen at least a couple studies now that in the states that cut people off months ago, there hasn't been a return to full employment. They successfully reduced the amount of money being spent by the govt by a LOT, which is a good goal in itself, but the notion that this would force people back to work and eliminate the understaffing problem at shitty jobs hasn't paid off. Although there's some evidence that local economies are seeing less consumer spending now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/23/endi...tudy-says.html

It's possible that people were able to save enough money during the pandemic that they saw no need to rush back to work despite their unemployment getting cut off. I just think there was too much talk of this being a miracle cure for the underemployment problem. There's a lot of other things still going on. A continuing daycare shortage. Around 2 million more people than expected retired early during 2020 and have left the labor market entirely

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/23/10289...sped-things-up

And this may be an unpopular explanation here but: immigration. The number of people we were legally admitting was steadily dropping during Trump's term and then came to a complete halt when covid hit.

Comment

• Sure, the bonus benefits aren't really needed and are at least something of a drag at this point.
      This is really all that needs to be said.

But, per the study you cited, there was increased job growth in states that cut benefits. Not a bunch. Not a miracle cure. But growth. And, perhaps as importantly, no signs of some sort of unemployment-related negative impacts (increased homelessness or the like).

And we all know there are tons of jobs out there, so, again, it's not needed. And it's slowly dawned on Ds that's the case. However, I'm still surprised they're just going to let the benefits lapse. I mean, just because something ain't needed has never been a reason for the Ds NOT to spend. So, they must also be at the point where they pereceive an actual negative.

Finally, I rather doubt the immigration numbers -- the difference b/t DJT and Obama era numbers -- are meaningful enough to show up. JMO.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obi-Jon View Post
        Half that stuff went to Iran and Whereverstan with the melting Afgan army. The other half was probably already sold on the black market. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if we didn't use thermite on the aircraft before abandoning the bases.
        It is my understanding, based on pictures circulating, that there are still plenty of up-armored Humvees all lined up that the Afghan “army” abandoned. I’m hoping that once we finish this haphazard evacuation we’ll bomb the shit out of our high end toys. I can’t imagine the Taliban has trained pilots that can fly U.S. aircraft so those should be in the same place we left them.

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
          heres a nice little list for you

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...h=1d22575341db

what Joe left behind
          2,000 Armored Vehicles Including Humvees and MRAP’s
          -75,989 Total Vehicles: FMTV, M35, Ford Rangers, Ford F350, Ford Vans, Toyota Pickups, Armored Security Vehicles etc
          -45 UH-60 Blachhawk Helicopters
          -50 MD530G Scout Attack Choppers
          -ScanEagle Military Drones
          -30 Military Version Cessnas
          -4 C-130’s
          -29 Brazilian made A-29 Super Tocano Ground Attack Aircraft
          208+ Aircraft Total
          -At least 600,000+ Small arms M16, M249 SAWs, M24 Sniper Systems, 50 Calibers, 1,394 M203 Grenade Launchers, M134 Mini Gun, 20mm Gatling Guns and Ammunition
          -61,000 M203 Rounds
          -20,040 Grenades
          -Howitzers
          -Mortars +1,000’s of Rounds
          -162,000 pieces of Encrypted Military Comunications Gear
          -16,000+ Night Vision Goggles
          -Newest Technology Night Vision Scopes
          -Thermal Scopes and Thermal Mono Googles
          -10,000 2.75 inch Air to Ground Rockets
          -Recconaissance Equipment (ISR)
          -Laser Aiming Units
          -Explosives Ordnance C-4, Semtex, Detonators, Shaped Charges, Thermite, Incendiaries, AP/API/APIT
          -2,520 Bombs
          -Administration Encrypted Cell Phones and Laptops all operational
          -Pallets with Millions of Dollars in US Currency
          -Millions of Rounds of Ammunition including but not limited to 20,150,600 rounds of 7.62mm, 9,000,000 rounds of 50.caliber
          -Large Stockpile of Plate Carriers and Body Armor
          -US Military HIIDE, for Handheld Interagency Identity Detection Equipment Biometrics
          -Lots of Heavy Equipment Including Bull Dozers, Backhoes, Dump Trucks, Excavators
          Damn, you could outfit an entire army with that much gear!

Comment

• Spike Lee being a 9/11 truther is just about the least surprising headline of 2021

That reminds me though, with the 20th anniversary coming up, the Atlantic published a really, really good story about one young man who died on 9/11 and the family that grieved for him. It's long but really moving. More than really about him, it's about the 4 people closest to him on his death (his two parents, his brother, and his girlfriend) and how each of them dealt with their grief so differently and where they are today. I think it's really interesting to see how extremely different his parents handled his death. The mom tried to bottle her emotions for years and not think about it, to the point where she would grow silently furious when other people brought up their children. The dad went the total opposite direction, became a 9/11 Truther, chose to relive his son's death daily, and continues to be obsessed with the topic today.

Bobby McIlvaine was 26 when he died in the attacks. Two decades later, his loved ones are still grappling with the loss.

Comment

• Interesting tactic that's not technically a vaccine mandate but...

Unvaccinated Delta Airlines employees on the company healthcare plan will be charged $200 more every month than vaccinated employees.

Comment

• That is the approach that makes the most sense to me. There is a direct cost that actuarially determinable associated with not getting the vaccine. There are also indirect costs, but whatever. The direct costs are what I'm concerned about. Insurance is all about pricing risk. That really seems to be a really logical place to address vaccinations.

Now, I'm sure $200 is not actuarially determined. That would be the key (for me at least). I'd want to see some sort of rational cost assessment vs. a penalty.
                Last edited by iam416; August 25, 2021, 12:16 PM.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Following up on Ashli Babbit from yesterday, the officer who shot her is revealing his identity and giving an interview with Lester Holt tomorrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                    Following up on Ashli Babbit from yesterday, the officer who shot her is revealing his identity and giving an interview with Lester Holt tomorrow
                    The 'hero' who single handedly stopped the US government from being taken over by Ms. Babbit. Get the ticker tape parade ready.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                      .... Get the ticker tape parade ready.

Who will be interviewed next? One of those peaceful, selfie taking, tourists that dragged a Capitol police officer outside onto the steps and nearly beat him to death?
                      Last edited by Obi-Jon; August 25, 2021, 01:12 PM.
                      I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of a toilet.

Comment

• I thought the police were the bad guys now. This is all so confusing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          I thought the police were the bad guys now. This is all so confusing.
                          Depends on your politics, Mike. If you like the idea of bad guys being sought out and put behind bars, then all cops are racist pigs who don't deserve to be paid. If they are defending liberals, and their victory celebrations, then they are heroes.

Meanwhile, in Chicago, our favorite light-brained mayor has decided that all city employees must be vaccinated, and the cops there are saying "He## No!" So, I guess those would be considered "bad" cops, if I have the scorecard correct.

After Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said all city employees would "absolutely" be required to be vaccinated, the leading police union vowed to take action in court against if such mandate is announced.  

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            That is the approach that makes the most sense to me. There is a direct cost that actuarially determinable associated with not getting the vaccine. There are also indirect costs, but whatever. The direct costs are what I'm concerned about. Insurance is all about pricing risk. That really seems to be a really logical place to address vaccinations.

Now, I'm sure $200 is not actuarially determined. That would be the key (for me at least). I'd want to see some sort of rational cost assessment vs. a penalty.
                            There is no fucking additional add-on cost accounting with this...it's all bullshit. It's like when they tell people who get covid after getting jabbed..."well your symptoms were reduced because of the jab".

Horseshit.
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Obi-Jon View Post

Who will be interviewed next? One of those peaceful, selfie taking, tourists that dragged a Capitol police officer outside onto the steps and nearly beat him to death?
                              No. Instead they'll interview the heroes from Antifa who routinely attack and destroy neighborhood police stations. Those are the true heroes.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post

There is no fucking additional add-on cost accounting with this...it's all bullshit. It's like when they tell people who get covid after getting jabbed..."well your symptoms were reduced because of the jab".

Horseshit.
                                Wizard has a point. The reverend Jesse Jackson and his wife are in the hospital right now, fighting Covid. Both were fully vaccinated.

I think getting the vax is a good idea, but it doesn't seem to guarantee that you won't get it. Those demanding vax mandates seem to think that it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X