No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now now Liney...are you just jealous because she won't date you?
    Attached Files
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
      Thank goodness the Dems will finally get to place another justice on the USSC.

I'm very disappointed that AOC is not being considered. The Court needs highly intelligent and masters of the law sitting on the Court, and her talents should not be wasted.
      A Democrat hasn't appointed the Chief Justice since 1946, although plenty would consider Earl Warren an "honorary" Democrat.

Since WWII the Dems have appointed 12 justices (soon to be 13) and Republicans 20

Comment

• shaddup

(it's been a while since I've done a shaddup...too many consecutive STFU's...)
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The winningest woman on Jeopady finally lost after 40 straight wins.

im-472903?width=860&size=1.5&pixel_ratio=1.5.jpg

LMAO. The winningest "woman'

Comment

• Dude looks like a lady
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I am against men competing in women's sports because it is obviously a competitive advantage, but if this guy wants to call himself a herself and go in Jeopardy I don't give a shit and really can't figure out how this affects you in any way.

Really. Who gives a shit?
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• More Supreme Court trivia on William J. Brennan.

He ended up being one of the most liberal and long-serving justices in our country's history, from 1956 to 1990. Eisenhower appointed him just weeks before the 1956 Election. Why appoint a Democrat? Well, Eisenhower's people told him appointing a Catholic Dem from the northeast would help him win reelection in those states. I'm not sure if he really needed the boost because Eisenhower won reelection in a landslide, but he DID win every single state in the Northeast.

So political considerations have ALWAYS been part of deciding who gets nominated to the Supreme Court. Politics has always been more important than choosing "the best man for the job" or the person with the most credentials. And the farther back you go, the more you notice that many Justices had never before even been a judge anywhere at any level. They tended to be politicians instead. It's more of a modern convention that the federal judiciary is the first place Presidents look.

Hugo Black, one of the most influential conservative Justices of all time, had been a Senator for a decade when he was appointed by FDR in 1937. He had once been a lawyer, but never a judge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  The winningest woman on Jeopady finally lost after 40 straight wins.

LMAO. The winningest "woman'
                  Go figure- the one Jeopardy that was worth watching was actually pre-empted for Whitmer's State of the State propaganda show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                    More Supreme Court trivia on William J. Brennan.

He ended up being one of the most liberal and long-serving justices in our country's history, from 1956 to 1990. Eisenhower appointed him just weeks before the 1956 Election. Why appoint a Democrat? Well, Eisenhower's people told him appointing a Catholic Dem from the northeast would help him win reelection in those states. I'm not sure if he really needed the boost because Eisenhower won reelection in a landslide, but he DID win every single state in the Northeast.

So political considerations have ALWAYS been part of deciding who gets nominated to the Supreme Court. Politics has always been more important than choosing "the best man for the job" or the person with the most credentials. And the farther back you go, the more you notice that many Justices had never before even been a judge anywhere at any level. They tended to be politicians instead. It's more of a modern convention that the federal judiciary is the first place Presidents look.

Hugo Black, one of the most influential conservative Justices of all time, had been a Senator for a decade when he was appointed by FDR in 1937. He had once been a lawyer, but never a judge.
                    Historically all that is true, but in "modern" times "qualifications" and silly things like the "ABA Approved" stuff matter a great deal more. It's just a different time (see, e.g., Harriet Miers). Why are you clinging to and justifying the practices of JIM CROW?????? Heh.

I honestly don't care who The Chairman nominates. It's his prerogative to nominate who ever the fuck he wants and whoever he thinks the Senate will approve. As the Ds control the Senate, that means almost anyone.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Historically all that is true, but in "modern" times "qualifications" and silly things like the "ABA Approved" stuff matter a great deal more. It's just a different time (see, e.g., Harriet Miers). Why are you clinging to and justifying the practices of JIM CROW?????? Heh.

I honestly don't care who The Chairman nominates. It's his prerogative to nominate who ever the fuck he wants and whoever he thinks the Senate will approve. As the Ds control the Senate, that means almost anyone.
                      Yeah I think before Kagan the last person appointed that hadn't served as a judge on any level was maybe Abe Fortas? Who was a total bust. Didn't thoroughly check though...could say Harriet Miers too but obviously her nomination didn't work out.

This little exercise allowed me to discover Justice James McReynolds (1914-1941), who I had never heard of before. Apparently he was one of the most loathed and despised members (by his fellow Justices) of all time. The section on his Wikipedia page under "Personality and Conflicts" is pretty amazing.

James Clark McReynolds - Wikipedia

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                        Now now Liney...are you just jealous because she won't date you?
                        Yes.

I'm totally devastated. I don't think I'll ever recover. I've been living my life in hopes that I could one day attract her attention and get her to go out to Chucky Cheese with me.

Or maybe even ... Applebees!!!
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• 4th Quarter GDP beats expectations by a lot, 6.9% growth. The best of 2021.

This follows the very disappointing 3rd quarter report of only 2.3%

GDP grew at a 6.9% pace to close out 2021, stronger than expected despite omicron spread (cnbc.com)

Comment

• A couple of days ago, news "broke" that the CDC announced natural immunity from a previous COVID infection provided better protection against reinfection than vaccines ...... or words to that effect and the words used are really important here.

Of course the headline was trumpeted by certain groups as another admission of CDC incompetence during the pandemic, proof that vaccines don't work, any number of statements that might resonate with a person's or group's outrage and anti - any thing narrative when it comes to COVID.

I'm no fan of the CDC. That should be obvious but I'm also strongly opposed to misinformation and there is some surrounding this announcement. The story emerged after the CDC published it's Weekly MWR (Mortality and Morbidity Review) on January 21st that contained a review of data and an analysis by a group of data geeks within the CDC. I've found reviews of the study but I've failed to flesh out the actual submission - there are hundreds of these kinds of things done on a regular basis and published in the MWR. It's a study of a set of data that supports a hypothesis, in this case natural immunity from pervious infection beats protection from vaccination.

It does - in a very narrow subset of data analyzed. The researchers looked at state reports of new infections broken down into vaxed, unvaxed and boosted. The data covered only the period before Omicron and applies only to a short period of time overall. It should not be considered a slam-dunk finding that, "told you so, vaccines don't do shit." They do and the findings in the study don't apply to the post Omicron pandemic period at all.

I did find this review of the study:

Both vaccination and a previous infection offered strong protection against COVID-19 during the delta wave last year, according to a CDC study published Jan. 19. 
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                              I am against men competing in women's sports because it is obviously a competitive advantage, but if this guy wants to call himself a herself and go in Jeopardy I don't give a shit and really can't figure out how this affects you in any way.

Really. Who gives a shit?
                              in this one case, I am gloating about how men are better at so much stuff that they even make better women. Heh heh

from now on, the best female competitors are all going to be trannies.

Who says woke comedy isn’t funny?
                              Last edited by Hannibal; January 27, 2022, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                                4th Quarter GDP beats expectations by a lot, 6.9% growth. The best of 2021.

This follows the very disappointing 3rd quarter report of only 2.3%

GDP grew at a 6.9% pace to close out 2021, stronger than expected despite omicron spread (cnbc.com)
                                How much of the 6.9% was government spending?
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X