No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BLM movement can address their grievances through vehicles intended to do that or they can choose other inappropriate means and it is clear, in my view, they have. Other appropriate means include filing civil rights violation claims with the courts so that they can be adjudicated and resolved. Airing grievances before City Councils in politically respectful ways. Choosing quietly implemented tactics to influence outcomes, for example, boycotting companies that have questionable policies involving any kind of discrimination .... and there are plenty of those. In this country, for corporations doing business here, money talks. Decrease income and profits or create intense media scrutiny of company practices and behavior will change.

Well obviously you can't boycott a police force, but, otherwise, do you know they haven't tried all those other things first, before escalating? I know that some have. My days as a police reporter were more than a decade ago, but I know certainly that at that time in south Florida high-level officers had regular relationships and meetings with community leaders -- pastors, etc.

I think that the debate is now at a point where the question is ``institutional racism'', as in, all those things you suggest might work fine for white folks, but people like you and me don't have a sense for how those institutions work differently for black people. For white people like us (or in my case a slightly-brown person whose minority is no longer a target but once was), it is no fun to hear that we can never know what it's like to be a black person so we just have to listen and accept what they tell us. That seems extreme. I would like to believe that I could walk a mile in their shoes. The truth is probably between the two poles. We may not be able to experience America as blacks do today, but we can try harder and at least get closer to that reality, and it's probably incumbent on us to try. I don't think we should assume black people are just ignoring the easier/more peaceable options in favor of doing what they are doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      Hoss:

You have a right of appeal for any district court decision. No surprise the NFL appealed because the district court really fucked it up. Brady's efforts now are prayers. The end banc 2nd C and Sup CT are not required to hear further appeals and there's zero reason for them to do so.
      Well aware of all of this.

Still think its idiotic. All this over an underinflated football.

Comment

• #Brady'sLifeMatters

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
          Yeah OP all them armed citizens has made this country so much safer (well if you subtract all the kids shot by firearms that adults had to protect them from the hoards of people shooting up the nation.) I'm still looking for that "armed citizen" who bravely stopped a mass killer, saving the lives of ordinary white boys.
          If only there was evidence of a properly armed and trained civilian population defending others from horrific crimes, oddly, law enforcement can't be everywhere.

A man armed with an AK-47 is alleged to have entered a Waffle House in DeSoto, Texas, in the early morning hours last Thursday
          "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
            ......The truth is probably between the two poles. We may not be able to experience America as blacks do today, but we can try harder and at least get closer to that reality, and it's probably incumbent on us to try. I don't think we should assume black people are just ignoring the easier/more peaceable options in favor of doing what they are doing.
            It is correct, I don't know if BLM has tried what I call more appropriate tactics.

I think anecdotally that activist organizations like the BLM movement, don't like the glacial speed by which these appropriate, IMO, vehicles traditionally work. They know this going in and therefore adopt tactics that get a lot of press, stir up a lot of attention, some of it bad but they don't care, if they get their cause out there, discussed and debated, just like we are doing here, and action taken ..... and I'm pretty confident it has been taken by city governments who have been paying attention, for example, to how the DOJ handled the Ferguson Police.

The bottom line message from me to the BLM leadership is lay off hating on the police. My view is that the police, and me personally, would try harder and at least (work) to get closer to understanding the AM's reality, and (I would agree, given less polarizing activities on the part of BLM) it's probably incumbent on us to try.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• What I found interesting in this article was the findings that people accept bad news quicker than they accept good news about a person...
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                http://fortune.com/2016/07/06/donald...ary-clinton-2/

What I found interesting in this article was the findings that people accept bad news quicker than they accept good news about a person...
                People hate people.

Comment

• I hate you. (Not a personal attack).
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Elephants have long memories.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• The bottom line message from me to the BLM leadership is lay off hating on the police. My view is that the police, and me personally, would try harder and at least (work) to get closer to understanding the AM's reality, and (I would agree, given less polarizing activities on the part of BLM) it's probably incumbent on us to try.

Dunno. To a great extent there's a small subset of blacks and a small subset of police that should be locked in a room forever and we'd all be better off. They make it worse for everyone. But, at some point, I think extending the benefit of the doubt equally would really help.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                        ...To a great extent there's a small subset of blacks and a small subset of police that should be locked in a room forever and we'd all be better off. They make it worse for everyone...
                        Perhaps they could be exiled to North Korea or ISIS held Syria.
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• The notion that racist cops are hunting blacks is beyond ridiculous.

Jason Riely, a Wall Street Journal Columnist and Fox Contributor, who is most definitely in the minority, has it right IMO.

[ame]http://video.foxnews.com/v/5033982263001/riley-violent-young-men-not-cops-are-the-problem/?#sp=show-clips[/ame]
                          "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                              Perhaps they could be exiled to North Korea or ISIS held Syria.
                              If they are willing to pay their own way that's fine, but no sense wasting taxpayer dollars when we could just instead frogmarch them to Columbus, Ohio.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prime2 View Post
                                The notion that racist cops are hunting blacks is beyond ridiculous.

Jason Riely, a Wall Street Journal Columnist and Fox Contributor, who is most definitely in the minority, has it right IMO.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/503398226...#sp=show-clips

It is ridiculous. So ridiculous I don't believe anyone credible has ever said that "Racist cops are hunting black people."

I think that cops are murdering black people (and maybe white people too) at an alarming rate and that denial of this fact is counterproductive.
                                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Working...
                                X