No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once The Chairman acknowledged that inflation wasn't "transitory" and that the Fed had to act, things started moving the right direction -- with the exception of the preposteroud Climate Bill/Inflation Reduction Act.

It's nice that The Chairman eventually took it seriously and acted accordingly.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Talent,

He was opposed to slavery, sure, but not enough to actually end it. This is well documented. There are shades of moral opposition. It shapes our actions. His was etched in pencil.

The EP freed zero slaves in the Union and her territories. It was a realpolitik document at the time and only had actual power, as you said, if the Union won the war.

Anyway, I missed the Turtledove ref. Sue me, shyster.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Kind of crazy that a Dem could be this popular in Kentucky. He has a 61% approval rating!

Mason-Dixon: Beshear outpolls 4 Republicans in Kentucky governor race (courier-journal.com)

Comment

• Food is still skyrocketing in price. I'd really like to see how the various sectors of the economy are weighted in the CPI since fuel prices have gone back up again too, but the CPI has picked up essentially zero inflation since June.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            Talent,

He was opposed to slavery, sure, but not enough to actually end it. This is well documented. There are shades of moral opposition. It shapes our actions. His was etched in pencil.

The EP freed zero slaves in the Union and her territories. It was a realpolitik document at the time and only had actual power, as you said, if the Union won the war.

Anyway, I missed the Turtledove ref. Sue me, shyster.
            Right. That contradicts exactly nothing I said. If you look at Lincoln in 1845 his views on slavery are different than in 1855 or 1861 or 1865. That's well-documented. It's also well-documented that he would have ended the war w/o abolution earlier in the war but not toward the end. And whatever his thoughts and beliefs were, his arc was toward the great emancipator, which he became. Perhaps by happenstance (I don't think so). But, again, that happened. That's well-documented.

So, yeah, if Bull Run Lincoln is where you stop, that's cool. Appomattox Lincoln had changed. I think that's clear. It was certainly clear to, say, Frederick Douglass. And to analyze Lincoln, IMO, you look at the whole story. You don't stop in 1861 or 1862 or 1863. You absolutely have to tell that part of the story -- your part -- but you have to take it to the end. 1861 Lincoln thought McClellan the right choice. 1864 Lincoln was very different.​​

And you will be served in due course.

Comment

• Here's a topic: DeSantis standing taking the fight to the College Board over their proposed heavily Marxist AP course. Hopefully other states follow suit.

Comment

• DeSantis was/is correct. The Board will adjust the syllabus to stop saying the grossly offensive stuff out loud. The teachers will end up teaching the same shit anyway. That's how this will go.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

So, yeah, if Bull Run Lincoln is where you stop, that's cool. Appomattox Lincoln had changed. I think that's clear. It was certainly clear to, say, Frederick Douglass. And to analyze Lincoln, IMO, you look at the whole story. You don't stop in 1861 or 1862 or 1863. You absolutely have to tell that part of the story -- your part -- but you have to take it to the end. 1861 Lincoln thought McClellan the right choice. 1864 Lincoln was very different.​​

I think we can all find agreement that it definitely stops in 1865.

Comment

• Thirded.

Comment

• As Sherman did 160 years ago....burn this shithole...
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                        Food is still skyrocketing in price. I'd really like to see how the various sectors of the economy are weighted in the CPI since fuel prices have gone back up again too, but the CPI has picked up essentially zero inflation since June.
                        Not only that, but if you haven't looked at your 401k, mutual funds or stocks recently, then just DON'T. Yikes!

Comment

• Unfortunately I have. 40% hit. But sure glad to hear we are out of recession heh!
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Right. That contradicts exactly nothing I said. If you look at Lincoln in 1845 his views on slavery are different than in 1855 or 1861 or 1865. That's well-documented. It's also well-documented that he would have ended the war w/o abolution earlier in the war but not toward the end. And whatever his thoughts and beliefs were, his arc was toward the great emancipator, which he became. Perhaps by happenstance (I don't think so). But, again, that happened. That's well-documented.

We are looking at the attitudes and actions at the time of secession. Or at least that is what it appeared the convo was about. There were 500,000 slaves in states and territories outside of what would become the CSA in 1860 and he basically accepts this and says let’s not add anymore.

We can talk about Lincoln’s moral outrage at slavery but at the time of secession it just wasn’t strong if you look at actions and that goes through the Emancipation Proclamation. And honestly, the belief that he wouldn’t have ended the war in 1863 to reunite the Union with slavery is probably correct. Is that an evolving world view and ethos or is it pragmatism in that it was obvious that the Union would win by that time? In chess parlance, you never consider a draw when you have mate in seven.

Bah. No more.
                            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• BURN.THIS.SHITHOLE.
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Less War of Southern Treason. Less chess references. More Wizard.
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X