No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heh! Ah yes the Grande ballroom in Detroit. Saw many fine acts there in the day. Missed Zappa in 69 but that's my time frame.

Comment

• A little before my "time".......but my sister took me there a few times in the late '60's when she was supposedly "babysitting". I was 9-10-11 years old, so I never was a full participant.....nudge, nudge. Saw the MC5, Rare Earth, Procol Harum (played frisbee with Robin Trower), but the memories are sketchy. Which, apparently seems to be a familiar theme with anyone who ever went there! ;-)

Comment

• Zappa giving Davy Jones some career advice:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQpsipHKU8"]Frank Zappa & David Jones (Monkees) - YouTube[/ame]

RIP, Davy Jones, gone too early at age 66.

Comment

• ...and Zappa, with another Monkee, Mike Nesmith, impersonating each other.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgNxuNaYHsk"]Mike Nesmith and Frank Zappa - YouTube[/ame]

I believe this is from one of the TV episodes of The Monkees.

Zappa plays a car as a musical instrument, near the end of this strange video

Comment

• The National Football Foundation announced today the names of 76 players and eight coaches on the 2012 Football Bowl Subdivision Ballot for induction into the College Football Hall of Fame. Michigan and Michigan State each have three former players on the ballot.

For the Wolverines are linebacker Erick Anderson (1988-91), offensive tackle Jumbo Elliott (1984-87) and running back Robert Lytle (1974-76). For MSU, former Detroit Tigers great and Spartans wide receiver Kirk Gibson (1975-76, linebacker Percy Snow (1986-89) and running back Lorenzo White (1984-87).

Darryl "Horse's Ass" Rogers, who pretended to coach the Spartans from 1976-79, is on the coaches ballot. He bought Big Ten coach of the year in 1977 and then backed into the Big Ten title in 1978. He also failed at Fresno State, San Jose State and Arizona State, somehow floundering to a 129-84-7 record.

The FBS Hall of Fame Class will be announced live in New York City on May 15 and inducted at the 55th NFF Annual Awards Dinner on Dec. 4 at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City.

IMHO, 5 state of Michigan players belong. Sorry Gibby, you were good, but not HOF material in college.
            Last edited by Ghengis Jon; March 1, 2012, 09:52 AM.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
              Darryl "Horse's Ass" Rogers, who pretended to coach the Spartans from 1976-79, is on the coaches ballot. He bought Big Ten coach of the year in 1977 and then backed into the Big Ten title in 1978. He also failed at Fresno State, San Jose State and Arizona State, somehow floundering to a 129-84-7 record. .
              And let's not forget his contributions to perpetuating the ineptitude of the Detroit Lions.

Comment

• Well, its finally happened. We closed the deal on our soft-serve ice cream stand today. We are feeling all sorts of emotions. Some nervousness, some excitement. Its a big step. If anyone finds themselves in the Chesaning MI area, please stop on by and say hello. We plan to open sometime in mid-April (shooting for April 14th, requested by Doug) and we want to stay open as long as the warm weather lasts into October. I'll post some pictures if I can figure out how to do it in here.
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Congrats Liney; best of luck!
                  Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• Good for you, Liney!

Comment

• not 'til mid-April?

Too bad, I'm tentatively planning on being in the Midland area the last weekend of March, thought I'd try to pass thru Chesaning on the way there or back. I may have to wait, then, until this coming summer or fall.

I still think a tailgate party there hosted by you might work if maybe on a Friday evening the night before a Michigan home game---I'll bring a cooler full of adult beverages, since you already have planned a fine selection of man-foods on the menu!

;-)

Congrats, Liney, on making your dream happen---and best wishes to success as a business owner!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ghengis Jon
                        Darryl "Horse's Ass" Rogers, who pretended to coach the Spartans from 1976-79, is on the coaches ballot. He bought Big Ten coach of the year in 1977 and then backed into the Big Ten title in 1978. He also failed at Fresno State, San Jose State and Arizona State, somehow floundering to a 129-84-7 record. .
                        You really have a fondness for Rogers, don't you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                          And let's not forget his contributions to perpetuating the ineptitude of the Detroit Lions.
                          Yep---good point, Tom---Rogers had a major role in the suckitude of the Lions during the 80's, a fact somewhat lost to a lot of people who have gotten so used to the overall suckitude of the last 50 years of the franchise.

IMO, one of the reasons that many Lions fans have a such a fondness for Wayne Fontes is that, in comparison to Rogers, Fontes was a breath of fresh air, Fontes gave us hope that success for the Lions was just around the corner, and Fontes was genuinely entertaining. Rogers gave us absolutely none of that---I don't think I was ever as depressed about the Lions as I was during the Rogers era---thank God that Ford had mercy on us all and fired Rogers when he did!
                          Last edited by Rob F; March 1, 2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob F View Post
                            not 'til mid-April?

Too bad, I'm tentatively planning on being in the Midland area the last weekend of March, thought I'd try to pass thru Chesaning on the way there or back. I may have to wait, then, until this coming summer or fall.

I still think a tailgate party there hosted by you might work if maybe on a Friday evening the night before a Michigan home game---I'll bring a cooler full of adult beverages, since you already have planned a fine selection of man-foods on the menu!

;-)

Congrats, Liney, on making your dream happen---and best wishes to success as a business owner!
                            Chesaning is about 2 hours away from Ann Arbor, but if you guys want to have a Friday-before-the-game-tailgate at The Barn, I'll be glad to host it. Just give me a couple weeks notice to get the food ordered.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I vote for Friday, October 19th (MSU @ Michigan).

I'll take a 10oz Filet, mid-rare, sweet potatoes and grilled asparagus please ....oh, and a glass of Pinot. And perhaps some ice cream for desert!
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Ice cream first!! Ice cream first!!! Congrats on the new biz Liney. I'll make a trip out there just to sample! Are you going to have a Crown Royal Special Reserve flavor?

Originally posted by Rob F View Post
                                You really have a fondness for Rogers, don't you!
                                All I did was cut and paste the article...
                                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X