Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private vs Public pay:

The 47% thing are bennies. Overall pay is higher for feds. Not 47% higher, though. Of note: Feds make less if it is a professional degree.

https://m.govexec.com/pay-benefits/2...-finds/137324/
    Last edited by AlabamAlum; March 7, 2019, 12:23 PM.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
      Private vs Public pay:

The 47% thing are bennies. Overall pay is higher for feds. Not 47% higher, though. Of note: Feds make less if it is a professional degree.

https://m.govexec.com/pay-benefits/2...-finds/137324/
      I consider benefit compensation to be the same as cash compensation. Employer-provided benefits are used in the US because of favored tax treatment for the employer providing benefits. The self-employed have to pay for their health coverage with after-tax dollars. Just because government employees are not able to understand that benefits=pay doesn't mean that pay is distinguishable from benefits.

But on another level, think of the benefit "savings" if we go to Medicaid for All.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post

I don't buy that for a minute. I'm in the private sector. My department is all of 10 people. Our departmental secretary makes $59k a year. Are you saying the average gov't secretary makes north of $86k/yr? Although I am no longer in an engineering role, I took a managerial position for a big fat no cut in pay because I really, really wanted the role I am currently in. If I consider myself average in compensation, then the avg paycheck for my role(s) is about $180k/yr in the public sector?

Guess I should have been a civil servant....could have retired a while back with that 47% premium. That kind of pay without productivity expectations would have been awesome.
        1. My information was about the AVERAGE earnings or compensation of federal employees. What an individual secretary makes is not relevant when I was discussing overall averages. AA has it basically right.
        2. Yes, I agree that you should have taken a federal job if your goal was to retire a while back. In fact, teachers in Michigan (not federal, I know, but grossly overpaid nonetheless) can retire after 30 years service, of basically working 3/4 year each calendar year. Retirement after 22.5 years seems pretty generous.

I'd like you to name a thing that the government does in a less costly manner than the private sector does the same thing. VA?

And what do all the welfare programs do that is actually productive? Government is just the way everyone tries to live off everyone else. You, as a libertarian, should agree with Bastiat on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

I consider benefit compensation to be the same as cash compensation. Employer-provided benefits are used in the US because of favored tax treatment for the employer providing benefits. The self-employed have to pay for their health coverage with after-tax dollars. Just because government employees are not able to understand that benefits=pay doesn't mean that pay is distinguishable from benefits.

But on another level, think of the benefit "savings" if we go to Medicaid for All.
          In a comparison of civilian federal employees to private sector workers with similar observable characteristics, CBO found that federal workers come out on top in average wages (2 percent higher), benefits (48 percent higher) and total compensation (16 percent more).
          Last edited by AlabamAlum; March 7, 2019, 01:22 PM.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• OK, Geez. If we're talking general averages for employees not segregated by specific skill, then I'll walk back my statement. But my gut says the differential isn't as great as you report.

Having worked only private sector, except for military service, I cannot determine which sector is more efficient without doing the research. I would be so bold as to opine that in some aspects the private sector is better and in others the public sector. I would think that if you took profit out of the private sector and bureaucracy out of the public, they both would cost/produce about the same.

Welfare programs? Certainly they are abused but are not without value. Social darwinism and a lack of basic human compassion are traits of despotic gov'ts and sociopathic people, not America.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• That makes sense. Brain jobs pay less; brawn jobs pay more. Just a guess.

Comment

• Having worked only private sector, except for military service, I cannot determine which sector is more efficient without doing the research. I would be so bold as to opine that in some aspects the private sector is better and in others the public sector. I would think that if you took profit out of the private sector and bureaucracy out of the public, they both would cost/produce about the same.

That very well could be. A lot depends on the level of competition. I bet that if Jack Welsch and Jimmy Carter swapped jobs way back then, it would be Welsch known for being a well-meaning fool and Carter writing revered how-to manuals. ``Govern'' is just inherently a lot more difficult a task than ``make money''.

The power sector is an interesting one. Six in 7 Americans get their power from an investor-owned utility. The other 1 in 7 pay 15% less. What's doubly interesting about that is that investor-owned utilities typically turn a profit at a rate of 10-11%, so there's 4-5% that just disappears. Suggests that for the delivery of electricity it's the public sector that's more efficient.

Comment

• Pay that man his money
                    Cohen and the Trump Organization had a "contractual agreement" to compensate Cohen for work "with and on behalf of" company officials, the filing says.

Comment

• D1Et57BVAAAT98u.jpg

Comment

• At least one document related to the Kusher/Ivanka security clearances has been leaked to House Dems by someone in the administration. A document the WH had refused to provide.

Comment

• amazing that Kushner is an integral part of getting things moving--has been working extensively in the middle east with turkey, Israel muslims trying to put together a peace deal. he is a major player in prison reform
                          he runs office of American innovation

lot of those responsibilities require top secret clearance--as much as a microscope as kushner is under certainly no redflags and certainly nothing that the POTUS --who probably knows him as well as anyone would cause him to defer granting clearance. The fbi took over a year to do the background checks and as of feb 2018 and Kelly had to downgrade kushners and many others because the fbi hadn't done its job.

eventuially if your going to get things done you have to cut the bullshit and red tape to start doing your executive responsibilities and you appoint people to help accomplish those goals. and if you as the president have the authority to give clearance you do it if the fbi cant and missions depend on it

but if it makes trump look like crap--time to maximize media exposure--even though Kushner was one of many that had clearance downgraded because as of feb 2018 the fbi still hasn't completed its job--15 mos after trump was elected
                          Last edited by crashcourse; March 8, 2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Yeah its the FBI's fault

Comment

• I'd be delighted if they find some sort of wrongdoing by Kushner so that he can be pushed out. Dude is cancer and so is Ivanka at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                                I'd be delighted if they find some sort of wrongdoing by Kushner so that he can be pushed out. Dude is cancer and so is Ivanka at this point.
                                lol, I was wondering if you might take issue with crash touting Kushner as Trump's best asset

Comment

Working...
                                X