No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why would someone buy 16 million dollars worth of coast line property that they believe will be underwater in 10 years?

Comment

• Some Trump aides said early in the day they were caught unaware of — and furious over — the French government's decision to invite Zarif.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
        Some Trump aides said early in the day they were caught unaware of — and furious over — the French government's decision to invite Zarif.

More soap opera entertainment.

Who are the administration officials that are "reportedly furious?" Unnamed, of course. Besides, who the fuck cares if Macron invites Zariff for a visit. Ohoooooo, Trump is being "isolated." Right.

Neither is it shocking that the EU favors the 2015 Nuke deal and Trump doesn't. Iran says that it isn't talking to Trump until all the sanctions are removed...... that's not going to happen. Why? Because the Iranian government, a clear threat to ME peace, is being subdued in it's activities to achieve hegemony there, economically by the US and Militarily by Israel (see announcement by Netanyahu that IDF forces conducted airstrikes against Iranian backed Hezbollah and Syrian forces last night).

Again, nothing has fundamentally changed with respect to Trump's goals: No nukes, stop supporting terrorist organizations to carry out your regional goals. Simple. Do it. Why anybody thinks the West is bound to negotiate with Iran is just beyond me. French governance, under the Tri-Colour has a long history of accommodation so it should be no surprise at all that Macron entertains what are essentially Iranian terrorists.

The ME would be much better off dominated by a coalition of Sunni moderates and Jews who value trade and cooperation with the West - and I don't care what flag they might operate under or how ill-liberal they are. That past administrations have let Iran do it's thing and then the Trump administration allowed Putin to gain a foot hold in Syria propping up one of the most brutal dictators currently in power there, is a dangerous situation that has become very difficult to unravel.

Having said that, Isolating and weakening the Mullahs governing Iran is a good start....... now let's see on Monday how Trump can tweet himself into trouble at the G7 over any number of real thorny issues that the UK, EU and the US are dealing with.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          Oh and when a D wins office we won't celebrate life fantastic; we'll go back to ignoring politics most of the time. Like the good old days.
          Correct

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I'm certain Trump is behind this in his relentless pursuit of undocumented elves.

Residents expressed their dismay on the police department’s social media site. Some offered to rebuild it for free in time for Christmas.
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Trump confirmed today that he is pushing to host next years G7 at his struggling Doral golf course

Comment

• Of course he is

Comment

• No emolument concerns there.
                    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• No, actually.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        No, actually.

Comment

• Because Trump will personally profit (or reduce debt) by conducting official US business, at his direction, on property he owns that will be collecting US tax dollars and foreign payments?

I hear Camp David is available.

Comment

• It's not a gift. It's not a quid pro quo in any sense. It's not a decision PDJT can extort or force. It's 6 of the 7 most powerful nations in the world making a decision.

Now, I understand that some folks understand emoluments as any sort of money from anyone outside of the US. I rather disagree.

And, perhaps most interestingly to me, I remain utterly puzzled as to the remedy. It's not a crime. I suppose that Congress can go to court and maybe obtain an injunction? Perhaps they can force restitution? But that sort of gets at the original point -- you're going to force PDJT to comp hotel guests? That seems weird. Frankly, it seems like if that' was actually happening without court intervention people would be screaming about PDJT bribing foreigners.

I suppose the answer is that emoluments is an issue for impeachment and in that case it has to actually rise to what the clause is intended to prevent. You're not going to win on some trivial bullshit like an Pakistani governmental official staying at a Trump hotel. You need to show way more. In any event, emoluments is more desperate tilting at windmills, IMO.

As an aside, when our boy Clinton was gifting big-time contributors overnight stays in the Lincoln bedroom that sure seemed to be close to the ol' domestic emoluments clause. I miss him.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• Comment

• I predict the folks encouraging the Trump grift will suddenly find religion once he's out of office. Right now the complaining about the Lincoln's bedroom looks quaint.

Comment

Working...
                                X