No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Washington International Chorus performs the 12 Days of Christmas carol, with specially adapted lyrics by BBC News, to explain how the impeachment inquiry unfolded.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Fantastic, Hannibal. I'm so glad I checked out of the franchise after Jar Jar. I haven't seen a minute of anything since and I feel absolutely zero regret. Like as much as I regret not driving up to AA to watch OSU play M in 1995.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

Which is why the Dems need to stop trying to win over Trump voters and work on 1) nominating a candidate that that can excite the base and 2) bring in new voters.
        First things first, Trump narrowly won in the swing states in 2016 mainly due to Obama/Trump voters. If you don't win back those voters you are screwed. See the attached article to get up to speed.

If he wins non-college white men by 48 points in 2020, he is going to coast to re-election.

Your strategy won't win Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan. It might run up the totals in places they are already going to win. Your strategy is not one of sound logic and many people spout that same misguided play. It is pure madness to keep on saying things like this and it doesn't bear out in polling.

Comment

• Rise of Skywalker isn't good?

That's hard to believe considering that JJ Abrams' co-screenwriter is Chris Terrio, who also wrote the screenplays for those masterful hits, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League.

Comment

• Well, according the lunatic Scotsman, it's considerably better than the horrific Last Jedi and JJ Abrams has to expend considerable plot resources to undo that nonsense.

Comment

• SPOILERI gotta say, I assumed Palpatine was dead when he was thrown 1000 meters down an elevator shaft into fusion reactor and then was blown to bits by when the Death Star was destroyed. But, I guess all it really takes is deflecting some force lighting back at him. Duh.

Comment

• I'll probably go see it between Christmas and New Year's if I get time. Will reserve full judgment till then. I thought Last Jedi was pretty bad. The new Trilogy isn't that good but the Prequels are still the worst.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  I'll probably go see it between Christmas and New Year's if I get time. Will reserve full judgment till then. I thought Last Jedi was pretty bad. The new Trilogy isn't that good but the Prequels are still the worst.

The Phantom Menace: In general I thought there was too much CGI in the film. And the big problem I have is that I thought cast the kid that plays Anakin look like he was 5-6 years old (in the script he is supposed to be 9). The fact he looks like a first graders makes it harder to buy he can win the pod race (let alone an amazing pilot) and harder to buy Yoda saying he is too old to go into the Jedi Academy. Jar Jar is awful.

Clone Wars should have been broken into two parts. There was enough interesting things to justify that. Instead it feels rushed.

Revenge of the Sith. Actually liked this movie. The final fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin is very good. Seeing order 66 happen was absolutely brutal.
                  2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• EMgkbzfXYAINM0d?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

• I have no idea why Rudy Giuliani keeps giving this particular reporter interviews. Maybe he actually thinks he will eventually score with her. No clue.

But she's remorseless in portraying him as a doddering, alcoholic old man. He hops out of his car clutching three cellphones, all of which are unlocked and the contents visible to anyone passing by. He orders multiple bloody marys during the interview. At one point he's drooling and doesn't even realize it. While walking into the restaurant he staggers and bounces off the wall, playing it off like nothing happened. At the end when he has his driver take the reporter home, she realizes he just left one of his phones laying on the seat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

The Phantom Menace: In general I thought there was too much CGI in the film. And the big problem I have is that I thought cast the kid that plays Anakin look like he was 5-6 years old (in the script he is supposed to be 9). The fact he looks like a first graders makes it harder to buy he can win the pod race (let alone an amazing pilot) and harder to buy Yoda saying he is too old to go into the Jedi Academy. Jar Jar is awful.

Clone Wars should have been broken into two parts. There was enough interesting things to justify that. Instead it feels rushed.

Revenge of the Sith. Actually liked this movie. The final fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin is very good. Seeing order 66 happen was absolutely brutal.
                        Yes, Phantom Menace has the double whammy of Jake Lloyd (Young Anakin) and Jar Jar. And the movie can't be rescued by its villains either: the charisma-less Darth Maul and the Trade Federation (or whatever they were called). This was also the only movie in all nine (unless Rise of Skywalker does something different) that attempted to explain "The Force" in scientific rather than religious terms. Its the only movie in the franchise to discuss "midichlorians", a concept the fanboys so hated it was quickly dropped and forgotten.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

First things first, Trump narrowly won in the swing states in 2016 mainly due to Obama/Trump voters. If you don't win back those voters you are screwed. See the attached article to get up to speed.

If he wins non-college white men by 48 points in 2020, he is going to coast to re-election.

Your strategy won't win Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan. It might run up the totals in places they are already going to win. Your strategy is not one of sound logic and many people spout that same misguided play. It is pure madness to keep on saying things like this and it doesn't bear out in polling.
                          If you want to boil it down to one thing it was the Christian right that came mobilized and went 80% for Trump.

HRC assumed that (like most of the establishment) that there was no way that Trump was going to win (tbf even Trump didn't expect to win). Her basic deal was vote for me because I am not Trump. That was never going to be enough. The American Public wanted change so badly they went for Trump.

Run Biden against President Deals and it will be a replay of 2016. With Biden getting crushed in the debates (he used to be a really good debater) and making verbal gaff after verbal gaff. Biden has his own skeletons in his closet and his own family issues dealing with corruption. There is a reason that President Obama reportedly told Biden that he didn't have to run in 2020.

Who the Dem nominee is going to be several things at once.

1) A person that has stood for what they believed in for their political career. You have draw a stark contrast to what is currently residing in the White House. And at the top of that is being able to say this is what I am going to do and I have fought for this.

2) You have to be able to energize the base. That is just not about giving money, but having people willing to give up their valuable time to knock on doors, call people do all the grunt work that goes into the campaign. If you can't energize the base then the ground game will suffer and that can be fatal on election day.

3) Trumps strength is in the working class voters, you have to go after them without going down to his level. How do you do that? You start by talking about things that matter to them. Health Insurance for one. Health Care was a HUGE issue in 2018 and there is no reason that it should not be again. People like their doctor(s) but they do not like the health insurance system. You talk about how most people can't afford a $400 unplanned expense. How there are 42 million Americans that work full time and have a gig job on the side just to make it. Yes, unemployment is at record lows but that has not translated into more people moving out of the working class into the middle class (which seems to be shrinking more every day).

4) Bring in new voters. Contrary to what some think that doesn't mean running up the votes elsewhere. A lot of voters stayed home in the 2016 election because they felt that there was not someone there that had their best interests at heart (which goes back to points #1 and #2).
                          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Perhaps this should be done to Washington DC, but I'm afraid the amount of water needed to be effective would be at a lethal level.

A Roman Catholic church in Louisiana decided to disperse some blessings to a local town via crop dusters.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• An op-ed talking about expanding the number of seats in the House. The Founders literally wrote into the Constitution that each district should be about 30,000 people. That might be unrealistic today, but there's no reason it should be over 700,000 and constantly growing. The last time the House was expanded was 1911 and even then the population per district was over 200,000.

The average congressional district now contains three-quarters of a million people. No wonder the “People’s House” has never felt less connected to the people.

Comment

• There was less than 800,000 eligible voters in 1790. 30,000 is the rough equivalent of 13 million today. The same reasons that say 30,000 is too small also support the notion that 200,000 is too small.

And, of course, let's drop the pretense. Th Globe is writing this because it hurts the Ds. The same reason left-wing organizations attack the Senate and the Electoral College. It's blindlingly partisan. And make no mistake, if the Rs were on the other end FOX and the Washington Times and the few other random conservative groups would be bitching. But, it's fucking partisan.

And what's more, it's a blip. There are only 2 smaller states that have a smaller population than 700,000 per most recent census. California, incidentally, had 37.2M in 2010 out of 308.1M. That's 12.07%. That translates to 52.5 representatives. For 2010, Wyoming was at 563,000 which trtanslates to 0.8 representatives. California has 53 reps and Wyoming has 1. California has 0.5 more reps than population percentage and Wyoming has 0.2 more reps. So, basically, fuck the fuck off.
                                Last edited by iam416; December 24, 2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X