No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At publishing time, Warren had sought advice from Grandmother Willow as to who it is that she should endorse.
    Let Sleepy Joe nibble on her ear a bit, and she'll fall right in line.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I'm surprised that WHO hasn't declared that COVID-19 has become a pandemic. For all intent and purpose it is ..... all you have to do is look at the global map reflecting the spread of the virus as of 4pm yesterday. Few regions of the world are not affected by new cases followed by community spread and an increasing number of confirmed COVID-19 + cases. The global population is already panicking so, it seems to make no sens to not announce a pandemic ...... something WHO has said they didn't want to precipitate by calling a pandemic prematurely. In reality, the term is meaningless in terms of your absolute risk of falling ill. Individual risks of severe illness or death remains extremely low for COVID-19, higher in folks over 70 with co-morbid illnesses.

Most here are rational and have legitimate concerns about their own health, the health of their families and the health of their finances. I'll reiterate, having cold symptoms from COVID-19 is a risk. Dying from it is highly unlikely if not near zero for healthy folks under 70 and even for folks over 70 that aren't loaded up with chronic illnesses, especially heart failure and COPD.

I just reviewed this morning's excellent and responsible article on COVID-19's impact on the global economy. Most economists and banks see a contraction of the global economy that will match that of the 2008 financial crisis. There's a lot of uncertainty about that becasue the course of COVID-19 is uncertain. Most of the world's markets have not responded positively to rate cuts - monetary policy - because nations already have near zero interest rates. During the 2008 financial crisis rate cuts world wide approached 3%. Today, 0.5%, or slightly more where possible, is all federal banks can do.

China leads the globe in fiscal policy steps to avert or mitigate the pain that is already being felt by companies in China as well as elsewhere. UK's largest regional air carrier, FlyBy, ended business operations yesterday they claim mostly due to fears of COVID-19 infections that has affected air travel. 100's of FlyBy jobs were lost by the end of business and 100s more in related support operations from other companies in the supply chain. All the world's airlines are suffering. China's measures include easing of access to credit, not calling in loans, rent and wage subsidies for sick or layed-off employees and more. Other nations, not as far along in the economic impact area are expected to implement similar measures but that is not certain.

The bottom line is things are going to get bad before they get better and how fast they get better depends on how aggressive governments are with both monetary and fiscal policies implemented to ease the inevitable contraction of their economies. It's going to approach 2.5% contraction globally and the impact of this year's contraction due to COVID-19 will persist into next year.

Sit tight.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• On this day two weeks ago there 11 known cases in Italy. Today they announced the total has risen to 4,636 with 197 deaths. That's a little over 4% and since that seem pretty high for an industrialized country, I imagine the actual number of cases is much higher.

Comment

• Yeah. There's not a great deal to be done at this point in time. It's not going to stop.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Last Saturday there were 67 known cases in the US and 2/3 of those were people taken off the Diamond Princess and in quarantine. Today we know of about 250 cases but the total number tested is pitifully small compared to countries like South Korea, Japan, the UK, and Italy.

Comment

• More Roku talk; less Covid-19.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                More Roku talk; less Covid-19.
                I cut the cord a few months ago. I had DirectTV for about 20 years. I originally got it for the NFL Ticket, but being a Lions fan, I decided that was not worth the money. I was paying $170 a month plus the ticket. I have Amazon FireSticks and Prime. I switched to live Hulu for $70 a month and I have an antenna to get any of the local stuff that isn't available on Hulu. I already had Netflix and ESPN+. I get all of the college sports that I used to get and if I want to watch the Lions I can always find a stream. I miss how user friendly the DTV remote and guide were, but other than that, I am really happy with the change.
                Last edited by CGVT; March 6, 2020, 01:49 PM.
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• The Roku and the YouTube tv has been great. Simple user interface and YouTubeTV has all the local channels and most of the national networks: ESPNs, FS1, AMC, NatGeo, TCM, A&E, etc, etc, etc.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    Yeah. There's not a great deal to be done at this point in time. It's not going to stop.
                    Nope. Short of locking pretty much every citizen away for a year or so, there's not much that can be done, it looks like. By the time that you figure out that it's time to quarantine yourself, it's too late.

Comment

• I pay an extra 12 bucks a month for unlimited TVs and extra DVR space and fewer commercials. My kids use my account too.I get all of the ESPNs, SEC, BTN, an assortment of FOX sports, CBS sports and a few others. I also get local NBC, CBS, FOX, and ABC along with the usual garbage channels filled with mindless TV. It is well worth the money and saving a hundred bucks a month is nice too.
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I get all of the ESPNs, SEC, BTN, an assortment of FOX sports, CBS sports and a few others. I also get local NBC, CBS, FOX, and ABC along with the usual garbage channels filled with mindless TV.
                        Same with me on the channels. I can have YouTube TV on all my TVs; however, only three TVs can have it on at one time. It's no extra charge, though.

Saving $130/month is nice, but it's not what made me make the switch. Cable was going out. A lot. And paying the high price that I did made me even more pissed off.

Comment

• Trump is now suing CNN for "defamation". Third frivolous lawsuit against a media outlet he's filed in recent weeks.

Comment

• I've been trying not to criticize Trump too directly in all this to avoid accusations that I'm 'politicizing' an emergency but I'm sorry, this is hard to listen to

"I want to rely on people. I have great experts, including our Vice President, who's working 24 hours a day on this stuff. Um...they would like to have the people come off [talking about passengers on the Grand Princess cruise ship], I'd rather have the people stay but I'll go with them. I told them to make the final call. I would rather -- because I like the numbers being where they are. I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship. That wasn't our fault. And it wasn't the fault of the people on the ship either. Ok? It wasn't their fault either. And they're mostly Americans. So I can live either way with it. I'd raher have them stay on, personally."

BTW, on that cruise ship of thousands they've only tested 46 people. And got 21 positive results, mostly crew members, who presumably interact with nearly everyone on board.

In the same news conference he bashed the Governor of Washington and called him a snake. Implied that he was unhappy with Mike Pence for saying complimentary things about him.

He also said the coronavirus tests are perfect just like his phone call with Ukraine (yes, really)

Happiest man in DC tonight may be Mick Mulvaney.

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Buffoonery:
                                https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/02/u...ronavirus.html

Comment

Working...
                                X