No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There was some consternation expressed here and elsewhere that Trump's plans to screw with China focused on specific individuals within the Chinese Politburo who voted for new laws that target Honk Kong protesters instead of broader sanctions.

I'd argue, that in concert with US activities targeting Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. and requiring Chinese companies listed on the NY Stock Exchanges to de-list unless they submit to audits required of both US and foreign companies listed on the exchanges, we're doing quite a bit. We can also add the Trump administration's withdrawal from further financial support of WHO keeps a bright light on China's, what I think was purposeful, withholding of SARS-COV-2 data.

Three more things: US intelligence agencies releasing evidence of Chinese (and Russian) disinformation campaigns targeted at SARS-COV-2 messaging from official US and state government sources. Pumping up Taiwan. Announcing officially that Honk Kong is no longer autonomous leading to the US stripping that place of the special status it enjoys - some companies with business interests there are already bailing and the UK has offered access to Hong Kong residents holding the coveted joint UK/Hong Kong Passports if they choose to immigrate.

The last thing the US needs right now is tit-for-tat accelerated tariff war. Keeping a bright light shining on the fucking Chinese for their damaging conduct during the pandemic and recently on Honk Kong wrt the social and economic interests of every nation on earth should be, for now, the most important and potentially effective US FP with regards to the PRC.
    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; May 30, 2020, 08:06 AM.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
        There was some consternation expressed here and elsewhere that Trump's plans to screw with China focused on specific individuals within the Chinese Politburo who voted for new laws that target Honk Kong protesters instead of broader sanctions.

I'd argue, that in concert with US activities targeting Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. and requiring Chinese companies listed on the NY Stock Exchanges to de-list unless they submit to audits required of both US and foreign companies listed on the exchanges, we're doing quite a bit. We can also add the Trump administration's withdrawal from further financial support of WHO keeps a bright light on China's, what I think was purposeful, withholding of SARS-COV-2 data.

Three more things: US intelligence agencies releasing evidence of Chinese (and Russian) disinformation campaigns targeted at SARS-COV-2 messaging from official US and state government sources. Pumping up Taiwan. Announcing officially that Honk Kong is no longer autonomous leading to the US stripping that place of the special status it enjoys - some companies with business interests there are already bailing and the UK has offered access to Hong Kong residents holding the coveted joint UK/Honk Kong Passports if they choose to immigrate.

The last thing the US needs right now is tit-for-tat new tariff war. Keeping a bright light shining on the fucking Chinese for their damaging conduct during the pandemic and recently on Honk Kong wrt the social and economic interests of every nation on earth should be, for now, the most important and potentially effective US FP with regards to the PRC.
        I almost made a joke last night that Trump was so mad at China that he decided to end all funding for the WHO and revoked Hong Kong's special status. That'll show em

I don't know man. I'm more aligned with Talent over time on this. As far as I understand it, China just ended all autonomy for Hong Kong about 75 years earlier than they were supposed to by treaty. That calls for something more than punishing Huawei (we're already doing that) or tighter tax audits on Chinese companies. Whatever one thinks of the WHO I'm pretty amused at attempts to frame withdrawal as "getting tough on China". Stripping away Hong Kong's privileges, which I agree you have to do at this point, hurts Hong Kong more than the PRC.

It's too bad the Far Left and the America Firsters united and were successful in getting TPP scuttled. Right now we'd have an extremely powerful trade bloc to leverage.

Comment

• As usual Trump uses language vague enough that he can always later deny he meant how his enemies interpret it, but he seems to be calling out his MAGA-heads to stage a counter-rally outside the White House tonight. That seems like a horrible idea

Comment

• Trump is fundamentally correct when he assigns the violence to provocateurs. He is just a colossal idiot in how he does that.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
              Trump is fundamentally correct when he assigns the violence to provocateurs. He is just a colossal idiot in how he does that.
              Oh I think provocateurs of all stripes have attended protests around the country and are making things worse. Whether they be ANTIFA or anarcho-Marxists or the Proud Boys or white supremacists that want to provoke the "boogaloo' (their slang for a race war).

Comment

• Don’t know if you saw the Minnesota leaders in their press conference right now but based on the pattern of arrests they believe fully 80% Are from outside minnesota. Specifically called out white supremacist groups. Tonight will be pretty scary there

Comment

• I think I mentioned the high likelihood that the good folks of Minnesota were not the fundamental problem driving the rioting. Right now,

The thing is -- they have their justice -- or at least the start of it. The cop was arrested and charged -- as he probably should be. We aren't stopping all murders. That's not what justice is. Murders happen and the murderers are, hopefully, punished. The police are not out their killing AAs (or anyone else) indiscriminately or in large numbers. The stats more the prove that.

I'm pretty much done with these protests. At this point I'm pretty much for "arrest them at the drop of a hat".
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Downtown Columbus declared a civil emergency. The Congresswoman who represents Columbus (Beatty) and the city council President both got maced by police today.They put out a video afterwards trying to calm people down. We'll see how it goes but tonight could be the worst night so far in C'bus

Comment

• Supreme Court rules that pandemic restrictions on gatherings (churches were the basis of the suit) does not violate 1st Amendment rights.

"Although California's guidelines place restrictions on places of worship, those restrictions appear consistent with the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment," Chief Justice Roberts wrote. "Similar or more severe restrictions apply to comparable secular gatherings, including lectures, concerts, movie showings, spectator sports, and theatrical performances, where large groups of people gather in close proximity for extended periods of time," he said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/30/polit...rus/index.html
                      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Downtown Columbus declared a civil emergency. The Congresswoman who represents Columbus (Beatty) and the city council President both got maced by police today.They put out a video afterwards trying to calm people down. We'll see how it goes but tonight could be the worst night so far in C'bus
                        You kind of need to see the video. In any event, at this point I'd just pull all police. Fuck it. The protests are non-violent. The police are the instigators. So, let the protest in peace without instigation.

Comment

• Supreme Court rules that pandemic restrictions on gatherings (churches were the basis of the suit) does not violate 1st Amendment rights.

"Although California's guidelines place restrictions on places of worship, those restrictions appear consistent with the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment," Chief Justice Roberts wrote. "Similar or more severe restrictions apply to comparable secular gatherings, including lectures, concerts, movie showings, spectator sports, and theatrical performances, where large groups of people gather in close proximity for extended periods of time," he said.
                          The Roberts Court is, once again, sound.

Of course, this issue is now done with, you know, the mass motherfucking gatherings in cities around the country with, of course, nary a word of pandemic concern from the Media.

Comment

• DeWine calling in the National Guard

Comment

• Excellent

Comment

• LMAO at the blame for all of the chaos and destruction on "white supremacists".

JFC you gullible suckers literally will fall for anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X