Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    Meanwhile in Covid news, the US is clearly back on the downslope. Of course, I'm sure that's not being reported.

It is also definitive that deaths did not surge any real sense with the the significant surge in cases. Deaths remained HALF of what they were in April despite cases being 2.5X what they were in the same time frame.

So, it should be fucking clear to anyone that this thing is no where near as bad as both Italy and our NE indicated. It should be fucking clear that there's a very vulernable population and then the rest of us who can manage. But, we're stuck with Media hysteria until President Biden-Harris/Rice takes over. So no one is going to report that. They'll just focus on CASES! and shift from death to the great unknown (we just don't know the long-term impacts!!!).

Well, again, until President Biden-Harris/Rice takes over. Then we'll get a completely different perspective.
    That clarity is the reason why it's not necessarily a slamdunk that Biden/Token will win in November. The Dems, who aren't as smart as they think they are, need people to keep believing in the Plague, the dangers of Institutional Racism and the Joys of Rioting. Fatigue is a factor and keeping schools closed and cancelling CFB may just amplify the WTF? mindset.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
      I thought you'd talk about the Russia vaccine news.
      I can't even muster the energy to talk about COVID or vaccines or ..... the fucking truth! Really tired of pushing the stone up the hill.

Talent and Hannibal are doing a fine job of that. Tom also makes well timed remarks wrt rational thought being replaced by fear driven irrationality when it comes to all matters COVID.

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Encouraging people to believe that covid fears are totally meritless with the exclusive purpose to hurt Trump politically is not helping anything.

We have over 160,000 dead right now. Will almost certainly top 200,000 by the end of the year. No, no one under 60 has to worry much about themselves personally, but we're all potential carriers. And the more indifferent and irresponsible we all are with our personal behavior right now will add to the spread. I've gone to the office every single day since this all started. I've cut way back on eating out but try to do takeout with local places I like. Other than groceries I shop online. I wear a mask any time I'm in a store or indoor public place but not outside or at my office. I'm not apologizing to Easton Mall or American Airlines for using them less.

We don't know what's going to happen in flu season. Most doctors sound pessimistic, because it'll be tougher to diagnose the covid patients when seasonal flu is around, but on the other hand, if people are still wearing masks and following certain patterns of behavior, then flu might not be as big a risk this year.

Comment

Is she the only “Republican” running? How in the everlasting fuck could they not find a better candidate than her? That’s west palm beach right?
          She is raising huge amounts of money and she will likely romp through the primary. I don’t know if she has a chance in the general. She is running very heavily on Jewish identity/Jewish persecution in addition to the typical MAGA stuff.
          Last edited by Hannibal; August 11, 2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

She is raising huge amounts of money and she will likely romp through the primary. I don’t know if she has a chance in the general. She is running very heavily on Jewish identity/Jewish persecution in addition to the typical MAGA stuff.
            Her Dem opponent is Jewish and supported Trump moving the embassy to Jerusalem. She won by 25+ points in 2016 and the Republicans didn't even field a candidate in 2018. Starting to understand how Loomer immediately rose to the top of the list.

I believe Hillary won the district in 2016 by a solid amount.

Never say never I guess

Comment

• Maybe I'm reading too much into this. The Dem convention schedule has the VP nominee speaking on Day 3 and Kamala Harris speaking on Day 4.

Susan Rice to be the VP nominee?
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Encouraging people to believe that covid fears are totally meritless with the exclusive purpose to hurt Trump politically is not helping anything.
                Rational thinkers wrt COVID aren't doing that, Strange. Excluding the idiocy of banging the fear drum to hurt PDJT, there are still people out there wringing their hands over the pandmic instead of thinking rationally about it.

COVID is not without it's dangers. OTH, I don't think I have to list the often misleading headlines that offer a take on the pandemic without context, often relying on pre-published research and sometimes flat out false. I also don't think I have to list the irrational decisions on mitigation measures being taken by state and local officials such measures being taken ostensibly for PH reasons without an appropriate calculation of the PH benefits of them in comparison to the economic and social costs. Myself, among many PH officials, have called this sort of thing flying blind and increasingly, data - and the courts - are demonstrative of most of the bad decisions being made.

We've had plenty of analysis here, not just by myself but also by others, that sheds light on the problem with concentrating on absolute new case numbers and deaths. Those numbers are shocking and intended to be so for the purpose of furthering a dark media narrative. But taken as independent indicators of how country A or state X is managing the pandemic can, and usually is on careful analysis, terribly misleading and unnecessarily frightening - to the point that too many are staying immobilized and shuttered without the need to do that if they would take simple infection control measures when going out of their homes.

I agree with the position that we still don't have all the answers with regard to long term effects of C-19 but we do have reasonable data in front of us right now that allows for rational thought. To surmise, for example, that school age kids spread the disease among themselves and unacceptable numbers of them will get serious illness from that exposure or that college athletes are at greater risk of serious illness playing football than comparable non-athletes in the same age group flys in the face of available hard data ..... it's been posted here. Yet, in-person learning from K to undergrad is the exception and the fuckers making the decisions about playing CFB are still dicking around with a decision to start or cancel the season.

Sure, encouraging people to believe that COVID fears are totally meaningless is bad. OTH, presenting misleading data about the disease such that the folks are immobilized by fear of it when reasonable mitigation measures responsibly taken individually and by economic, educational and social organizations are protective and can substantially reduce risks of contracting COVID is much, much worse.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• We need people to treat it seriously but not scared shitless.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    Just in case there is any confusion as to what BLM means:

and

https://www.foxnews.com/us/black-liv...looting-unrest

The looting and rioting resulted because Police chased a 4-time felon, the felon fired shots at them and the police then shot him (non-fatally). And then they spread the lie that the felon was a child (as if it would matter). No word on whether they rioted when any number of children were shot over the past few months.

That's Joe Biden's America, folks. Or rather, that's the America of Joe Biden's Puppetteers
                    Do those fools really believe that a business owner that is fortunate enough to have insurance will take that insurance settlement check, and spend it on repairing and re-stocking their burned out and looted store?

The answer can be found to that question in 2020 Detroit Michigan.

There are STILL neighborhoods and stores that were looted and burned in 1967 in Detroit that have NOT been rebuilt. Go down Chene Drive, or the Davison Freeway areas. Burned out buildings are still there. The people who owned those businesses and homes (even black folks) moved OUT and never went back.

And those BLM fools think that those stores will be reopened?

Fools!
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

We need people to treat it seriously but not scared shitless.
                      I would add and act rationally ...... I don't think that's happening. In some cases, yes, but the clown act with respect to playing or not playing CFB, opening or not opening schools, these, in particular, are reflective of the impressive scale of the irrational COVID thought in this country.

Comment

• This is my perception of how Covid is being treated. When it first burst on to the scene we weren't sure what to make of it. China was not forthcoming, so it was impossible to really figure it out. Then, Italy. BOOM. Then NYC and the NE. BOOOOOOM. And at that point it was a really scary situation and I think people were right to view it as such. Hell, I viewed it as such. I was as pessimistic as anyone.

However, after 4 months the data is becoming much clearer. We're seeing that Italy and the NE were not normal. They were extremely bad. Normal appears to places like California and Florida where huge cases numbers have not led to huge death numbers (let's say NY is the benchmark for death numbers).

Nonetheless, it appears to me that some are still covering Covid as if it were Italy/NE bad. So even though the death numbers and certainly he CFR aren't cooperating, they're still finding things to perpetuate the end of times scenario. Huge case numbers (w/o regard to deaths). Speculative long-term effects (we're 5 months in, anything long-term is unknown). Warnings about community spread (indirect instead of direct precautions).

Further, it started off as a flattening the curve/make sure hospitals aren't swamped (again, a byproduct of NYC/Italy). Well, we achieved that. Rather easily. Even with the latest surge, we were still, by and large, fine on hospital capacity.

It's ok to change your mind based on the evidence. I admit I was terrified in March. I don't think I was wrong to be, but I also think I'd be wrong if I maintained that view today. I don't see people adjusting to the facts on the ground. This rather quickly became a political issue and, as with every political issue of the day, there's no margin for nuance or flex.

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Joe picks Kamala Harris as the next President.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...mala-harris-vp

Harris will become President within 12-18 months of Biden's inauguration.

White men, you're on the top of her list.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• This day just keeps on delivering mule kicks to scrotum. One after another.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Trump just placed a 200% tariff on Slivovitz. He says the Balkans have been taking advantage of us for many years but no more.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                                White men, you're on the top of her list.

Does that include or exclude her husband?

hubby.JPG

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X