No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On polls: There was a very good article in the Economist talking about the differences in polling and modeling between 2016 and 2020. The modeling in 2016 failed to account for a bias:

In 2016 many pollsters in the northern battlegrounds made a methodological error that underestimated support for Mr Trump. Pollsters usually have to adjust their data to be demographically representative of the population as a whole. Imagine that in a pollster’s sample of likely voters, 50% do not have a bachelor’s degree. But according to the Census Bureau, in 2016 the share of voters without a four-year degree was 60%. So to get a representative sample, more weight must be given to this group. In 2016 many pollsters simply did not adjust their data for this bias, causing them to undersample white voters without college degrees who favoured Mr Trump but were less likely to take phone surveys than the typically better-educated supporters of Mrs Clinton.

See images in subsequent post.

As far as I can tell, The Economist has built an impressive model that has been tracking the US presidential election closely, updating the model daily. This is their final. As with any poll, I'm not taking this one at face; it's showing a resounding Biden victory that's not even close. Just taking the pulse in FL, reading the press, it's a lot closer than this model thinks it is. Of course, FL is one of those states where it is close so I'd expect some reporting bias that extrapolates FL's race to all races nationally. That's not accurate.

The other thing is that we're not going to see whether this model is correct or not for a while because of the ballot counting/recounting (assume some will be challenged) delays. I'm somewhat uncomfortable with that as there is going to be shit-ton of misrepresentations and lies coming from many sources. It's the lack of certainty in an election that is going to be prolonged that might give rise to social unrest.
    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 3, 2020, 10:32 AM.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Things you never see...

A book called " Short Posts" by JB...
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• screenshot-projects.economist.com-2020.11.03-10_06_38.png

screenshot-projects.economist.com-2020.11.03-10_07_32 2 .png
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Trump 2020.

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh.
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Well, he will be president for all of 2020.

Comment

• Comey has zero self-awareness. What a bad look.
              Attached Files
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Maybe he's trying to fuck up one more election. How long before it hits Trump's twitter?

Comment

• Good Lord. What a dumbass
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• This is pretty funny and well done.

Comment

• Comey, as a narcissist, is right up there with Trump. It was a Showtime hit piece on Trump that made Comey out to be this picture perfect patriot upholding the law against an onslaught of it by Trump and his administration. It was actually a good film with the actor, Brendan Gleeson, who played Trump, not looking anything like him but played the role the director wanted him to of a real dirt-ball president. Comey, played by Jeff Daniels, had a good make-up artist looking more like Comey than Gleeson looked like Trump. My problem was that he was portrayed as this sort of marter for justice. Total bull-shit, that is.

The series muddled the facts - no surprise there - as Hollywood neglects to recognize Comey's law breaking and dishonorable behavior. Comey reportedly was not involved but the movie is based on his book, A Higher Loyalty (I never read it). The book reviews more or less paned it as an attempt to get Clinton and trump to at least understand why he took the actions he took. I think I know why ...... he's a narcissist.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                        From the FWIW department:

I voted last week, but I drove by my normal polilng place a few minutes ago.

Usually the parking lot is pretty empty and there are no lines to get in. Voting here usually takes about 10 minutes.

Today the lot was full and cars were parked on the road. There was a line out the door and around the corner of the building. Not sure how quickly it was moving, but it was an unusual sight. There didn't appear to be any shenanigans going on.
                        I had the same experience. In 2016 I drove into a half-full parking lot, got into a line with about 5 people ahead of me, and was back out in my car 20 minutes later. Today, the parking lot was full, cars were parked along the road, and the line of people waiting to get in was stretched all the way to the road, which is almost the length of a football field. Of course social distancing had a hand in that, but there's definitely more people voting than in the past.

Whatever is about to happen is going to happen with a lot of votes behind it.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          This is pretty funny and well done.

https://twitter.com/BlazeTV/status/1321247810688225280
                          It's both hilarious and mortifying.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I figured there would be far greater turnout among Trump voters today but given the amount of early vote, it would seem the overall number of people at the polls would be way down. Hearing a lot of stories about packed polling places. That probably favors Trump. If they pull it out again, there's really no reason to continue the polling business.

Comment

• Reminder of Wasserman's Sumter County bellwether. The early voting totals should get posted very quickly after 7PM

Over 80% of all registered voters there voted early. So the results won't get shifted by the Election Day vote very much (which should skew heavily towards Trump FWIW). The vast majority of the vote is in already and will be posted almost immediately.

Sumter went 68.3 to 29.3 for Trump in 2016.

Sumter went 70.9 to 29.1 for Scott (R) over Nelson (D) in 2018

If the early vote drops and Biden is getting 33-35% of the vote, that's potentially a good sign for him among seniors and Independents across Florida. If he's only at 29-30%, it ain't over till it's over, but that'd be bad omen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                I figured there would be far greater turnout among Trump voters today but given the amount of early vote, it would seem the overall number of people at the polls would be way down. Hearing a lot of stories about packed polling places. That probably favors Trump. If they pull it out again, there's really no reason to continue the polling business.
                                It varies region to region. I've read reports from Atlanta and they're saying polls are the emptiest anyone can remember. But nearly 94% of Georgia's 2016 total voted early this year. It's only around 50% in a lot of the Midwest battlegrounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X